Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard to find pet friendly accommodation, cannot see any options

• 06-11-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭

Fiancé and I have, due to family difficulties, found ourselves in the unfortunate situation of having to find alternative accommodation to what we have now.

It's very frustrating and worrying that we cannot seem to find anywhere to rent that is pet friendly.

At the moment, we live rural and have circa half an acre for the pets. We have an outbuilding that was once boarding kennels, and I've spent a lot of time and money converting that into a lovely house and enclosure for the cats. Inside, they have a mezzanine with their beds and a heat lamp and things to climb on etc. and outside, there's a cute little zen garden with trees and plants, outdoor kennels and even a little pond. They are free to roam during the day, and in the evenings are tucked away in their little house-enclosure thing so they have the best of both worlds :D I'm actually raging we've to leave it behind! It's been a real labour of love :pac:

The problem is now, we find ourselves needing somewhere else. And while I completely understand that most landlords would run a mile if they see us coming with a baby and five cats, I'm sick with worry.

Rehoming for me would be an absolute last resort, I always promised nobody would be left behind - they are all rescues too.

I'm struggling to see what options we have to be honest. We are saving for our own place but wont be in a position to buy for about another year. The good thing is we are both working from home so I guess that widens the parameters somewhat and we aren't confined to Dublin anymore.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? I just can't see any options right now :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Have you tried seeking out properties that don't mention anything pets? Find a house that you like that is for rent, go through the normal channels, once the landlord shows interest in having you as tenants, bring up the fact you have pets and note you would be happy to pay extra in your deposit.

Lots of landlords don't even think about adding "pet friendly" to their property, doesn't necessarily mean they're not pet friendly, they just don't highlight it.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

when i needed to rent with 3 dogs i tended to go for the less attractive houses, older houses a little bit colder but hard to rent so they allow pets that's been my experience. Also i asked the estate agent to find me a property that would not be adverse to a pet they often have an odd ball house that's hard to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

when i needed to rent with 3 dogs i tended to go for the less attractive houses, older houses a little bit colder but hard to rent so they allow pets that's been my experience. Also i asked the estate agent to find me a property that would not be adverse to a pet they often have an odd ball house that's hard to rent.

That's a great idea. When I looked, I just filtered by pet friendly (in the whole country!) and there were just over 100.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

GraceS7 is a lady who posts here. She can guide you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

GraceS7 is a lady who posts here. She can guide you

bertiebomber has good advice. Go to an agent; go to all agents and tell them your need.

All agents have properties they do not advertise. When I moved from Donegal to West Cork it was a house needing work and that work got done when a tenant was in view. Deep rural is not for everyone, I had two dogs and I think two or three cats.

The same with the best landlord I ever had, in Kerry. Deep rural also and a good house. Not with an agent so the other thing is to ask in local shops? They will know everyone. I found that best landlord that way! Asked in the local shop/post office. And small local ads in papers too.

No way can you let the cats go! I now have six! Maybe seven

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    That's a great idea. When I looked, I just filtered by pet friendly (in the whole country!) and there were just over 100.

As long as the ad does not say NO PETS!!!! it is worth a try...Many landlords will never have thought about it even,

It reminded me of when I rented up in the Kerry mountains. I showed the landlord how obedient in recall my two dogs were ( bless them they were stars!)

He had cattle in the field around the house so I checked with him that his fencing was sound and secure also. ie that his cattle could not invade !

It was the "professional" way forward. lol...

As the previous rental the cattle had breached the fence INTO MY VEGETABLES. Ignoring the electric fence. When wee dog intervened she got kicked unconscious. And I stopped a month's rent... ( there were other reasons in addition to a lost half acre of crops)

Advertisement