Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice regarding sagging second floor

Options
  • 06-11-2020 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I don't know if this is the right section of the forum so please move this if not.

Should I be worried the second floor of the house I'm staying in which belongs to my dad is creaking in various parts, the doors to the rooms don't close properly and when I took a level to it the bubble in the liquid part did move when placed in various parts of the rooms.

What should I be concerned about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mopoperator

Bump

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get a carpenter to visit.

BryanF wrote: »
    Get a carpenter to visit.

Thanks for replying others have suggested a structural engineer on Reddit. I'm afraid it's the whole second storey even downstairs door don't close properly.

Could be the whole house has subsided a bit.

The house was built in 1983 and only one occupier before bought by my dad who despite my telling him so doesn't seem to have carried out a survey before purchasing. But I was sure the selling agent would have noticed something before selling it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for replying others have suggested a structural engineer on Reddit. I'm afraid it's the whole second storey even downstairs door don't close properly.

Could be the whole house has subsided a bit.

The house was built in 1983 and only one occupier before bought by my dad who despite my telling him so doesn't seem to have carried out a survey before purchasing. But I was sure the selling agent would have noticed something before selling it.

You first need to work out if it’s the floor boards flexing and creaking or a structural issue.

The carpenter can remove floorboards etc and check if it’s the timber.

Gumbo wrote: »
    You first need to work out if it’s the floor boards flexing and creaking or a structural issue.

The carpenter can remove floorboards etc and check if it’s the timber.

Hi

Been to the local builders providers and showed various pictures of doors jamming upstairs and downstairs also, they believe that there could be subsidence and I need to get a structural engineer to look at it.

Any advice or recommendations either for structural engineer or my problem in general.

Didn't expect the problem on the downstairs doors but there is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If it was subsidence then you should have the same problems downstairs as upstairs, the second storey cant sink on its own.

When you say doors dont close, are we talking about tight or an inch away from closing?

GreeBo wrote: »
    If it was subsidence then you should have the same problems downstairs as upstairs, the second storey cant sink on its own.

When you say doors dont close, are we talking about tight or an inch away from closing?

Sorry forgot to check in for a while.

I took the leveler on the downstairs floor but it seems to be level, about the doors downstairs ones seem to be closing tightly and stick out from the frame.

Advertisement