Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrange delivery of bike from UK

Options
  • 06-11-2020 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a bike second hand from UK and the person in the UK is getting ridiculously high quotes for delivery. Has anybody any experience with this or could recommend a reasonably priced/reputable courier for this sort of thing?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I brought a bike (without wheels) back from UK recently for about £15 with parcel2go.com who used DPD. The size was right on the limit at 100 x 75 x 20. Any bigger and price was over £100. Might be worth shipping wheels separately.

Edit - if the seller doesn't have boxes of right size you can buy some on Amazon and ship them directly to the seller with a roll of tape!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

got one, in fairness about 2 yrs ago, arranged through DPD for €50 , I arranged from here .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Look at the last 2 posts in the thread below

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114636547

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I got one last week; sender used TNT and it worked out at around 65 sterlings, fully insured.

They picked it up lunchtime at his house Wednesday and it landed at my door in the shticks in county Waterford, mid Friday morning.

Fastest I've ever gotten anything from the UK.

Good deal. Did you measure the box dimensions as that has a big impact on price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Parcel motel introduced some restrictions on the size of box they will accept recently. If using them be sure to confirm on that.
    I bought frameset from UK a few months back.
    Box dimensions were:

16.9lbs
    125cm x 18cm x 90cm

Best price I could find after a lot of searching was £54 plus VAT from transglobal express

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

sham58107 wrote: »
    got one, in fairness about 2 yrs ago, arranged through DPD for €50 , I arranged from here .

Likewise. About 2.5 years ago. Bought a bike for my wife from a shop in London. They organised DPD for €50.

Likewise. About 2.5 years ago. Bought a bike for my wife from a shop in London. They organised DPD for €50.

Definitely more expensive now though

Alanbt wrote: »
    Definitely more expensive now though

Parcel2go.com - £15 for the frameset in one box, a tenner for the wheels in another box. That's without insurance though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

hesker wrote: »
    Good deal. Did you measure the box dimensions as that has a big impact on price

Sender picked up a standard cardboard bike box from his local bike shop and used that to send me the complete bike.

Bike shops are only too glad to give away bike boxes, as it cuts their recycling costs; the boxes are robust enough to hold any bike in the usual packing pattern (front wheel removed, bars turned down and sideways beside toptube, pedals removed).

Sender arranged the shipping from his side in England as it worked out cheaper than booking it from Ireland, which is typical for nearly everything.

DHL quoted me €673 to ship a bike to Australia earlier this year. WTAF?

• Advertisement

Parcel2go.com - £15 for the frameset in one box, a tenner for the wheels in another box. That's without insurance though!!

Don’t know where you’re getting those prices. Just checked using the dimensions from lasts time and price for Uk to Ireland was over £100 without insurance

Alanbt wrote: »
    Don’t know where you’re getting those prices. Just checked using the dimensions from lasts time and price for Uk to Ireland was over £100 without insurance

See screenshots -

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

My father used to work for a breakers yard up the north and they would travel to a DPD depot in the south to send car doors and other parts to the UK. It would cost them €10-15. It was obviously a company account, so they got discounts. For personal use it costs stupid money to send anything anywhere with post or couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I just checked TNT website 122STG. Parcel2go (DPD) does not accept senders UK postcode - if I leave it blank I do not get anything back.

Sender in UK tried parcel2go also - no success. He contacted local couriers 177STG.

Also tried transglobal express DHL cheapest at 76STG + VAT.

Dimensions of box sender gave me are 147x97x23cms (I actually got parcel2go website to work but it is reporting package too large) :(

Anyone any other suggestions otherwise it might just not be worth the hassle. Thank you

Most people coming back with cheap quotes won't have looked at insurance or item value was small.

I went though parcel2go there just now and looked at a full bike & just a frame

Bike Value £2200 insured: £237 shipped UK to IRL

Frame Value £1200 insured: £104 shipped UK to IRL

I saved the screenshots.

The cheapest I found was

USPS direct insured for £102.

or seller ships to parcel Motel but they're not accepting big parcels now

Advertisement