Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Options

Comments

weisses wrote: »
    I was lead to believe Trump was a devoted Christian ..... He wasn't in church today

Biden was

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40,475 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Lolle06 wrote: »
    The funny thing is though, that everyone around the world seems to LOVE the Irish for some reason. I haven’t figured out why yet, but anecdotally you can play the Irish card everywhere (just not in Britain).
    The Americans especially think they are true Irish, if they have an Irish ancestor. You don’t find the same sentiment with French, English or German ancestry.

they love us because we are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Morrison J wrote: »
    Have to say I find all this coverage of Biden being Irish and the celebrations in Mayo painfully cringe.

We love slagging off Americans for claiming to be Irish because their mothers auntie's great grand mother ate a packet of Tayto yet once one of them is president we're all over it like a rash. Shameless.

Its cringe worthy stuff alright

The lads with the bagpipes in carlingford on RTE news done it for me, his last relation left the place 170 years ago :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In covid19 times best not, Better to be safe then sorry :p

It's OK, I promise to microwave it first. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭jackboy

The funny thing is though, that everyone around the world seems to LOVE the Irish for some reason.

That stopped being true a long time ago. The Irish are now generally seen as a pain in the hole and obnoxious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

image.png

Trump went to early mass. Biden got up later and went at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

nullzero wrote: »
    You too cupcake.

Thanks saltflake. It's easy enough for me being right and all. :)

Makes the next 4 years pretty handy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,501 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The funny thing is though, that everyone around the world seems to LOVE the Irish for some reason. I haven’t figured out why yet, but anecdotally you can play the Irish card everywhere (just not in Britain).
    The Americans especially think they are true Irish, if they have an Irish ancestor. You don’t find the same sentiment with French, English or German ancestry.

Would that be us hammering home this narrative?

You know, the whole “best fans in the world” crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm sure someone has thought of the reason more deeply, but the immigrants to the US from many parts of Europe were trying to escape persecution at home. Irish immigrants were different, they didn't want to leave but were forced to through hardship. So it's easier for Americans to have affinity towards Irish heritage, which may not be the case for other parts of their heritage.

Either way I don't see a problem with being Irish and having a sense of pride that someone with Irish heritage has become US President. Irish immigrants to the US have overcome a lot of hardship and discrimination, and should be proud to how they have helped build a great country. Everyone wants to feel a certain sense of belonging.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gary550 wrote: »
    Its cringe worthy stuff alright

The lads with the bagpipes in carlingford on RTE news done it for me, his last relation left the place 170 years ago :rolleyes:

Almost as cringeworthy of US presidents having to pretend they believe in the sky fairy and then suddenly find a need to pay occasional visits to church to keep up the pretense, once elected.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    We love to claim everyone as our own don't we?

It's an aspect of the Irish psyche that really grates with me, it's like we have no self respect.

This aspect of Irish culture is embarrassing but Irish Trumpeteers defending a racist and shouting "RIGGED!" gets a pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Cordell

A good standing right leaning / conservative person will accept defeat and learn from it. Blaming the others and the system is usually a very lefty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,475 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mass? since when did protestants go to mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

they love us because we are awesome.

I believe it. You only have to mention “Ireland” and people are swooning... despite the weather.
    It will always be a mystery!

Source?

What an odd post. It's like you're trying to inform us of something that we.no.dount already know given we're all mostly Irish and likely have travelled. Weird.

You haven't figured out why?

Have you ever travelled?

jackboy wrote: »
    That stopped being true a long time ago. The Irish are now generally seen as a pain in the hole and obnoxious.

Really? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭jackboy

Really? Where?

Most of Europe.

That's as bad a hot take as Lolle's initial post.

Being hated in NSW and possibly the rest of Australia is a badge of honour as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Overheal wrote: »

She'd want to be careful and hope he likes her more than his first wife. If depositions are to be believed he raped her and pulled out lumps of her hair.

Such a lovely man.

• Advertisement

I believe it. You only have to mention “Ireland” and people are swooning... despite the weather.
    It will always be a mystery!

...for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The funny thing is remembering all the memes showing Hillary supporters or random people looking upset as compared to Trump looking like a child in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

What an odd post. It's like you're trying to inform us of something that we.no.dount already know given we're all mostly Irish and likely have travelled. Weird.

You haven't figured out why?

Have you ever travelled?

What does “we.no.dount already” mean?

Rest assured I have travelled extensively.

But maybe you can enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Irish Trumpeteers defending a racist and shouting "RIGGED!" gets a pass...

Some of them were likely also playing up the "Irish links" bit (his investments here) when their God was visiting this country.
    "Irish" people worshipping Trump, praising Brexit etc. as you see on the regular in postings in the Current Affairs forum is far more cringe and genuinely disturbing.

Most of Europe.

Examples?

...for you.

Elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

attachment.php?attachmentid=532286&d=1604872344

That's as bad a hot take as Lolle's initial post.

Being hated in NSW and possibly the rest of Australia is a badge of honour as far as I'm concerned.

That must have been caused by the younger generation then?

When I was there, the Irish were very welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/morten/status/1325205001287823361

This just encapsulates for me the incompetence of the entire Trump administration for the last 4 years. Not just Trump himself, the whole circus.

It would be too unbelievable for a comedy skit.

A sad end to a sad and debased period in American politics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement