Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Trump is to go on the road.

Election campaign type rallies around the US to stoke up more division.

So another bunch of people get sick and potentially die because this narcissist cretin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The only thing he'll be remembered for is how he dealt with this moment. Nixon did some good things in office but is only really remembered for leaving the office in disgrace. Trump will forever be the only US President to refuse to accept the outcome of an election - what a legacy to leave.
    Or to his supporters he'll be the president that circled the wagons like a good cowboy and went out fighting against the "enemy". Never mind that what we may imagine is a legacy ahead of time, usually isn't down the line and events to come can shift that legacy massively.

Take JFK. Mostly lauded today, yet if the bullets hadn't rung out that day in Dallas, he'd be more likely remembered as the guy who screwed up Cuba, revved up the arms race with the "commies"(and gave the military industrial complex a huge boost), was slow to act on racial equality, got bugger all of his new frontier plans through congress because of being lacklustre, dug them deeper into Vietnam and nearly kicked off World War Three.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭road_high

threeball wrote: »
    Putin backing his man is bad news for the republicans.

Indeed- must be used to max effect in the run offs. I always understood republicans to be the most anti Russian in the USA until trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The only 1 term president to be impeached, lose the popular vote twice and then refuse to concede defeat. We may never see his like again.

6 bankruptcies, 3 ex-wifes... an utter failure of a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,474 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They need to get rid of the electoral college. But republicans will never agree to that until at least one of the following occurs:
    • Democrats win three terms in a row (most likely)
    • Texas becomes consistently blue (somewhat likely)
    • Democrats don't win the popular vote but still win the electoral college (least likely)

Until the electoral college is gone, America will continue to give power to those who haven't properly and democratically earned it.

adopting the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in enough states would make the electoral college irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Did he or did he not lose the popular vote twice by milions of votes?

I'm sorry which part of my post are you refuting? It's very difficult to make out what you are trying to say as you appear to have significant reading comprehension difficulties.

Trump is massively popular in the United States. This is not refutable. There is a cult of personality around him and for better or worse, he captures the Zeitgeist in profound way. The situation with Biden, or Nixon is very different.

If you want to argue the rights and wrongs of the Electoral College system that's fine, it's a philosophical/political theory discussion you can have with someone else.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

biko wrote: »
    Washington times October - Judicial Watch finds 1.8 million 'ghost voters' in 29 states, warns of 'dirty elections'

Judicial Watch has released a comparison study of Census Bureau population statistics and state voter registration data to reveal a notable disparity. The watch dog group is now warning of potential voter fraud and “dirty” voter rolls.

The study found that 352 U.S. counties in 29 states managed to have 1.8 million more registered voters than eligible voting-age citizens.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/oct/20/judicial-watch-finds-18-million-ghost-voters-in-29/

An outdated Voter Register does not mean that those people voted though.

Just because Dead Granny Mary is registered to vote , it doesn't mean a vote was cast in her name.

This is NOT evidence of Voter fraud. It's evidence (if any were needed) of badly run bureaucracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. The next batch of GOP presidential candidates in 2024 will be courting his base, and likely Trump himself for his support. They'll lean into everything Trump was, said and did, but they'll do it in a less egregious way, more finely skirting the lines of acceptability than Trump himself did and likely without his baggage.

Trump may not be back, but even if 2024 doesn't include a Trump on the ticket (Don again or one of the kids), Trumpism will be a core strategy for whoever the GOP candidate is.

The problem with that is that none of them will actually be Trump. Trump, for all his many, many faults, was an incredible political force. He, and it really was him pretty much alone, drove the narrative, stole all the headlines, and commanded the majority of media minutes.

Can another person, as you say with better political nous or just better manners, achieve the same? It seems to me that many people love Trump. Not the policies (he doesn't really have any), or his party. Him.

I doubt that Don Jr, Ivanka or others would command the same reverence. Sure, the name will count for something, but enough to turn to tide and get even more voters?

The second flaw, I think, is that it would involve Trump endorsing someone other than himself. Whilst I can just about see him doing it for Ivanka or Donny, I struggle to see him lauding anyone else as being the answer. He will always think that he is the only answer. But a lot will happen in the next four years. People within the GOP will want power for themselves, and will not sit idly by to let a beaten docket rerun. They will already be working to get rid of him.

And unlike parties in the UK and Ireland, party leaders aren't that important in the US. Biden was only selected in March or so. Trump is not the leader of the GOP, especially now he is no longer POTUS.

ElitesTeam wrote: »
    LOL how great you life must be compared :pac::pac::pac:

it truly is

Yeah them Biden celebrations but no ignore all that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You mean the spontaneous celebrations where people work masks that had nothing to do with Biden?

Those ones?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

Oh course they don't. These people live in the 'now'. They're oblivious to politics really.

I actually spoke with a work colleague this morning who was under the impression they should be "sending in the army" to remove him. When i asked him when he said it should have been done yesterday.

I walked away and let him get on with his day, bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

6 bankruptcies, 3 ex-wifes... an utter failure of a life.

What !? In what universe is a wealthy celebrity business man who had a tv show and then became president of the United States without any prior background in politics had a failure of a life ? If he lost all his money tomorrow thats still some life to have led.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or to his supporters he'll be the president that circled the wagons like a good cowboy and went out fighting against the "enemy".

There's something impressive about Trump convincing his fans that he is standing up against the enemy, standing up to the MAN!! When he is the man, or was the man anyway.

lemonTrees wrote: »
    I actually spoke with a work colleague this morning who was under the impression they should be "sending in the army" to remove him. When i asked him when he said it should have been done yesterday.

200.gif

https://old.reddit.com/r/thatHappened/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sure you did :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,036 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Its hilarious, being on boards posting ****e is considered "great" life, the dole pays good.

Again, can you provide a source for Biden saying Black people who did not vote for him are not Black.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yeah them Biden celebrations but no ignore all that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, Biden should have definitely done something to prevent the public from spontaneously hitting the streets to celebrate :rolleyes:

That's somehow similar to organising a Trump rally and encouraging people to attend because.......?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

Boggles wrote: »
    200.gif

Course you don't. You think everyone lives in an American politics bubble :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Trumpists have so many tears in their eyes that they're typing complete rubbish. You love to see it.

• Advertisement

WrenBoy wrote: »
    What !? In what universe is a wealthy celebrity business man who had a tv show and then became president of the United States without any prior background in politics had a failure of a life ? If he lost all his money tomorrow thats still some life to have led.

It's a great life in the same way as Jordan Belfort's life is. Being a grifter and conning the public is personally not a life I would be happy with living.

WrenBoy wrote: »

Inherited a fortune from his father, was on tv playing a make-believe version of a successful businessman, became president then proceeded to kill quarter of a million of his citizens through neglect, tear up international alliances thereby making the world more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,036 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can you use google?

No - you made the accusation that Biden said it. I'll not dispute that his supporters said it (at least some), but that Biden himself.... nah. Back up your own accusation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Its hilarious, being on boards posting ****e is considered "great" life, the dole pays good.

Will have to take your word for it.

I'm dropping in when I take a break from working.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Did he or did he not lose the popular vote twice by milions of votes?
    Which looks great, however he came from nowhere, a minor "celebrity" who had never held public office who came out with incredible howlers that were staggering for a politician and he still got what 63 million votes and Hilary got 65 million? And even after four years of his presidency and gaffes and disasters aplenty and in the midst of a pandemic and millions of Americans out of work he still got nearly half the votes and with one of the biggest voter turnouts in US history. That someone else won is good, that Trump didn't lose in a massive landslide is not so good.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Rick Bright part of Biden's Covid Panel.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

Again, can you provide a source for Biden saying Black people who did not vote for him are not Black.

Referring to this I presume

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2020/may/22/joe-biden-charlamagne-you-aint-black-trump-video

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

In case anyone's forgotten about some of the truly awful and dumb things Trump has done in the last 4 years, this is a timely reminder. Currently remembering "Sharpie-gate". What a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Take JFK. Mostly lauded today, yet if the bullets hadn't rung out that day in Dallas, he'd be more likely remembered as the guy who screwed up Cuba, revved up the arms race with the "commies"(and gave the military industrial complex a huge boost), was slow to act on racial equality, got bugger all of his new frontier plans through congress because of being lacklustre, dug them deeper into Vietnam and nearly kicked off World War Three.[/QUOTE]

Or, Kennedy saw the danger of a coming Soviet supported Communist Cuba sitting off the cost of Florida.The Bay of pigs was a fcuk up, but in 1962 he took a stand against a willing Soviet power who wanted to take that military advantage against the west. He won that Mexican stand-off.

His V.P. , L.B. Johnson was no friend of equality,but the Kennedy's ( included Robert) have become people who represent equality in most people's minds. For that alone, the ideal carries on.

Vietnam should be taken in the above context of east /west relationships of the time,I.M.HO.

• Advertisement

Biden the racist

So I assume you don't believe Donnie is a racist then? Would you like to take over Eric Cartman's role in my argument?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement