Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

it is actually kind of interesting.

Possibly, but I have to prioritise the old brain storage at my age and Ben...um...thing just didn't make the grade.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Trump hasn’t gone away you know

Yea but he’s not going to be president and is setting fire to any legacy. That’s more than enough for me and I’m delighted to see him going/gone. He looks and sounds like a busted flash. We won’t see much more from him, in very poor personal health with no energy left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

km991148 wrote: »
    Fake news. Innit.

Duh. You don't expect us to believe HBO and the corrupt lamestream media

That's true, can't expect some people to look to verify the info by a search of court records.. maybe these are all fake and part of the deep state... "On we go to SCOTUS" hurrah..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Well, look, maybe that's a fair argument. But then you'd have to make the same arguments against Obama's presidency and the achievements he claims. I find people move these goalposts to suit their argument.

The Federal Bureau of Statistics say unemployment was at a 50 year low under Trump's presidency. I'll take that as a solid stat. If we can't use that statistic then there is no point discussing any achievement of any President because there will always be a way to cast some sort of doubt.

No, but this is my point. The goalposts are constantly being redefined.

It's easy to trot out numbers, but when you start attributing meaning to them..well.. often they start to lose value.
    Another employment related stat from the UK- when there were people campaigning to make the minimum wage an actual 'living' wage, IE raise it to a level that would allow people to live a significantly better life and not just survive what was the solution.
    Rebrand the min wage to living wage but still have it fall significantly lower than what an actual living wage would entail.
    (please note I understand this example has other implications like the cost if such a scheme etc. I am talking only about moving the goalposts and the meaning of the numbers).

Now to a lot if people it sounds positive.. yeah Trump, what a guy! Less unemployment.. but I wonder how many people who are actually affected by unemployment feel the same?

Back to the feds stats: I don't know enough, and I asked the question with good intentions. Has the definition of unemployment remained the same? Does it mean anything of value. If the answer is no to either or both, we shouldn't then say no point discussing, but rather find better stats that show the reality.
    How can people begin to break this impasse if we can't agree on some ground rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I know Boards has an ignore list, but it would be great if it was more powerful and we could simply tick a box to hide all posts by those registered within the past month.

Although, I would miss reading their saltiness.

A simple register to read the charter like they have for the soccer forum would solve it, also a minimum post count to be able to post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think it's funny that China haven't acknowledged Biden's win yet, highlighting what a sh*t show trumps attempt to wage a trade war with them was.

Will there ever be a more incompetent president?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

One thing that we have learned there are what 70 million pissed of Republicans and not one City has been burned or looted, Im not sure that same would be the case if the Democrats lost

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

One thing that we have learned there are what 70 million pissed of Republicans and not one City has been burned or looted, Im not sure that same would be the case if the Democrats lost

Biden's calming effect in full action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Apart from the armed militias invading count centres of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Boggles wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Comparing the murder of a man and the reaction to it too the same as losing an election is some Shi!te tbf.

How many cities burned in 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The calming president.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,866 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

astrofool wrote: »
    I think it's funny that China haven't acknowledged Biden's win yet, highlighting what a sh*t show trumps attempt to wage a trade war with them was.

There already has been, George W.

Trump actually got a lot of stuff done - tax, ISIS, federal judges, environmental rollbacks, space force etc - but wasn't as widely reported as it should've been with the Wall and Twitter and the general chaos.

Hes left a huge lasting legacy on the US legal system and (very negatively) on the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ElitesTeam wrote: »
    That why he is called sleepy joe

Oh Oh.

9546257.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Or, Kennedy saw the danger of a coming Soviet supported Communist Cuba sitting off the cost of Florida.The Bay of pigs was a fcuk up, but in 1962 he took a stand against a willing Soviet power who wanted to take that military advantage against the west. He won that Mexican stand-off.
    The Soviets didn't have a military advantage. The "missile gap" was massively in favour of the US. That was American reds under the bed paranoia continued on from the 50's. But by god it made bank for those in military contracting.
    His V.P. , L.B. Johnson was no friend of equality,but the Kennedy's ( included Robert) have become people who represent equality in most people's minds. For that alone, the ideal carries on.
    And mostly facade. That's my point Lucy. His legacy would be very different if that day in Dallas hadn't happened. Hell, chances are extremely high that going to the moon wouldn't have happened either. Within days of making that speech JFK was already dialling right back privately, already thought the space race was a major waste of cash, as many Americans did(and the Americans at that stage hadn't even succeeded in getting a guy into orbit and their rockets kept blowing up) and even tried to get the Soviets into a mutual space exploration deal. The Soviets rejected him. It was Johnson who was the space nut.

How trump will be regarded down the line could be up for grabs. Biden needs to play a blinder. Some of it will be easy. Getting back with the WHO etc, the deeper issues in American society and politics are not going to be so easy. A just as hardline if more palatable trump figure could win the next election all too easily.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

Yep! And looks like he has made some progress with the vaccine going by this morning's news.

Credit where its due!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭road_high

astrofool wrote: »

I don't think anyone will be having sleepless nights over China not acknowledging an election...I've no doubt they will soon though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Nal wrote: »
    There already has been, George W.

Trump actually got a lot of stuff done - tax, ISIS, federal judges, environmental rollbacks, space force etc - but wasn't as widely reported as it should've been with the Wall and Twitter and the general chaos.

Hes left a huge lasting legacy on the US legal system and (very negatively) on the environment.

The judges thing is a distraction. I'm not even sure appointing judges is a legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I'm sorry which part of my post are you refuting? It's very difficult to make out what you are trying to say as you appear to have significant reading comprehension difficulties.

Trump is massively popular in the United States. This is not refutable. There is a cult of personality around him and for better or worse, he captures the Zeitgeist in profound way. The situation with Biden, or Nixon is very different.

If you want to argue the rights and wrongs of the Electoral College system that's fine, it's a philosophical/political theory discussion you can have with someone else.

Mod

Dont post in this thread again while we have a discussion re: attacking the post and not the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Russians and Chinese look on as America tears itself apart under a very useful idiot. Can see the contagion has spread outside its borders to its allied countries.

Shrewd sneaky strategic operators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

You aren't sure because that's the narrative that was pushed by Trump.

How many rioting democrats do you actually know?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Apart from the armed militias invading count centres of course

There's this one too, law enforcement threatening citizens...
    https://twitter.com/ejdickson/status/1325564602747383810?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Wibbs wrote: »
    How trump will be regarded down the line could be up for grabs. Biden needs to play a blinder. Some of it will be easy. Getting back with the WHO etc, the deeper issues in American society and politics are not going to be so easy. A just as hardline if more palatable trump figure could win the next election all too easily.

Yes, I guess "the worst", "the worst by some metrics", "one of the worst" or in the "top five worst" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Soviets didn't have a military advantage. The "missile gap" was massively in favour of the US. That was American reds under the bed paranoia continued on from the 50's. But by god it made bank for those in military contracting.

Soviet Missiles ( possibly, serious nuclear hardware) in Cuba ? That would have changed any military advantage. This is not" reds under the beds" nonsense, but a serious threat to western freedom.

Plenty (all) serious questions, too, in your post. I hope folks read our replies to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

And people wonder why there is such strong anti police sentiment out there.

A functional police force is an important thing to have. Policing in the US is a mess at the moment. Serious reform is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Geez , wtf is wrong with some people?
    Are they only happy when threats of violence and death are in play ?
    I really shouldn't be surprised should I ..

• Registered Users Posts: 56,500 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Two good articles in the indo from yesterday sum up Trump well

One for Joseph O'Connor on page 21, and one from Joe Brolly

Brolly on Trump: Trump is an appalling human being who would burn your family alive for a round of applause.

The Dunning-Kruger effect in full force. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Soviet Missiles ( possibly, serious nuclear hardware) in Cuba ? That would have changed any military advantage. This is not" reds under the beds" nonsense, but a serious threat to western freedom.
    It really depends on whose viewpoint you take L, and whose propaganda from the time too. For example Kennedy didn't stare across at the Russians and wait for them to blink(that famous quote came out long after the Soviets had turned back). How that crisis was averted was through behind closed doors back and forth between the two powers(which led to the direct Moscow/Washington line being set up). Indeed the Cuban missiles were removed only on the proviso that the US missiles in Turkey were also removed(that only came out years later) and that the US administration would publicly state they wouldn't invade Cuba in the future.

If anything it can be argued quite easily that while it was a "win" in the western mind for the US, it was actually Khrushchev that gambled and won that crisis for his country. If he hadn't sent missiles steaming across the Atlantic chances are that the Americans would have had another go at Cuba(which really irritated them and not just because of "commies", lots of vested interests were making big money from Cuba and the Cubans) and their missile bases in Turkey would have been still active and reinforced. Apparently "our" side's missiles within striking distance of "theirs" is OK, but not so much the other way around.

What is really the takeaway from things like this is how spin is spun and who's doing the spinning and that usually only comes out decades later, if it comes out at all. Now personally I consider trump to be a dangerously divisive muppet of the highest calibre in the highest post of a dangerously divided land, but to many Americans who saw their paychecks and jobs and investments rise during his tenure they may see things differently. Clearly 70 million of them did to some degree and that support base and all that came and comes with it hasn't gone away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

vojiwox wrote: »
    Yep! And looks like he has made some progress with the vaccine going by this morning's news.

Credit where its due!

What? So since Thursday Biden has cured Covid.?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement