Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The top of the Dems have no balls to take the party where their base wants them to go.

Not just their own base but the majority of Americans. The Dems are little more than 'Republican lite' on economic issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Probably more important than the actual debt is the percentage of GDP. Under Reagan it jumped from 32% to 50%. Under Bush Snr. it jumped a whopping 11% in just 3 years. In the 8 years Clinton was in office it dropped from 62% to 55%, a really good outcome.

And to put it in perspective, the National Debt dropped from 43% of GDP in 1965 to 32% in 1980, a period which saw the US fight the Vietnam War, send several missions to the Moon, the oil crisis and other major issues.

And FDR and Obama aside, all other significant drops in Debt to GDP have come under Democrat administrations.

https://www.thebalance.com/national-debt-by-year-compared-to-gdp-and-major-events-3306287

That's a fair point. So if we take Trump's Presidency, it went from around 105% to 107% to the end of 2019. Under Obama, in his second term, it went from 100.5% to 105%. So if Trump was an idiot who bought economic growth, which has been said on here, then Obama was just as bad if not worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I looked at the tweet and they were quoting the population of georgia the country.

Remember when a few nuts thought the Russians were about to invade Georgia USA :pac:

edit:
    Shiiiiiiiiiit - that was 2008 - fcuk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2603182/South-Ossetia-conflict-Concerned-US-citizen-gets-her-Georgias-confused.html

(sorry - could only find the paywalled article)

and here:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/258912

poor old Jessica B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

DeanAustin wrote: »
    That's a fair point. So if we take Trump's Presidency, it went from around 105% to 107% to the end of 2019. Under Obama, in his second term, it went from 100.5% to 105%. So if Trump was an idiot who bought economic growth, which has been said on here, then Obama was just as bad if not worse.

Deficit 2015: 438 billion. 2.4% of GDP
    Deficit 2019: 984 billion. 4.6% of GDP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ben Carson now has Covid, after having attended the Election Night event at the White House.

So the WH Election Night event is now shaping up to be another Superspreader event.

• Advertisement

Deficit 2015: 438 billion. 2.4% of GDP
    Deficit 2019: 984 billion. 4.6% of GDP

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GFDEGDQ188S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Can I ask why we care about the USA debt management?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Which wasn't the metric tobefrank put forward.

But you take that one. Obama reduced it. Fair enough. Last year of his presidency it increased from 2.4% to 3.1%. From 2016-2019, Trump has increased it from 3.1% to 4.6%.

My point isn't that Trump is some sort of genius or has been a great President. But I find that people over here will say "Obama great, Trump idiot". On the economy, that doesn't hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Movementarian

As if it wasn't already cringy and racist enough he had to dig himself even further into it...with this reply....

https://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/status/1325799259732635650

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

As if it wasn't already cringy and racist enough he had to dig himself even further into it...with this reply....

https://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/status/1325799259732635650

Are we sure it's not a satire account?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think basic education and comprehension has passed a huge amount of the American population by. These people seem to have an inability to analyze information. Everything is black and white to them. At the same time, America is also is home to some of the greatest minds.

There is a stat where something like only 4% of Americans have a passport. It's a very insular country.

Yeah, they're called immigrants. ;)
    Immigrants account for more than half of all STEM workers with Ph.D.s and are especially prevalent in software programming and other computer-related jobs.

Immigrants hold a disproportionate share of jobs in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) occupations in the United States, meaning that they are important for maintaining the nation's preeminence in advanced industries, according to a new study by Gordon H. Hanson and Matthew J. Slaughter. Their results are reported in High-Skilled Immigration and the Rise of STEM Occupations in U.S. Employment (NBER Working Paper No. 22623).

In 2013, foreign-born workers accounted for 19.2 percent of STEM workers with a bachelor's degree, 40.7 percent of those with a master's degree, and more than half—54.5 percent—of those with a Ph.D. Most of the foreign-born workers with advanced degrees obtained those degrees in the U.S. After completing their schooling, they chose to remain in the country rather than return to their home countries. They are particularly prevalent in software programming and other computer-related jobs.
    https://www.nber.org/digest/nov16/immigrants-play-key-role-stem-fields

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

There's merit in what you're saying. The tax cut fuelled buybacks. No doubt about it. But to what extent. Take two companies who don't buy back their stock - Amazon and Workday.

Amazon's stock was $750 when Trump got in. By the end of 2019, it was almost $1,800.

Workday's stock was around $80 when Trump got in. It was around $160 at the end of 2019.

Neither of those were fuelled by stock buybacks. Stock buybacks grew hugely in 2018 after the tax cut but the market grew at a faster rate. Stock buybacks declined in 2019 but the market continued to grow.

It's easy to buy into "Well Trump just bought that growth with a tax cut". It played a big part but it's not the full story.

I've no idea to what extent not much of an interest in stocks. I'd love to know how many companies took this line, if it's a small number then I think it's not going to have an impact on things, while if it's a big number it's going to effect things.

I wouldn't be sh!tting on Donald, I'd also not big him up.. it's probably more middle of the road with a lean to the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Trump's legal action is off to a flyer. They filed incomplete papers in Michigan and so won't even get a hearing. Looks like this will be the tactic to waste time. Such incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dems that ran on moderate policies lost seats for the Dems, others that ran on M4A retained theirs, also won seats.

The top of the Dems have no balls to take the party where their base wants them to go. Walking talking disaster waiting to happen in the future if they don't wake up.

https://twitter.com/IanSams/status/1325645890476978176?s=19

Speaking sense so she is.

I think it's safe to say that had Bernie Sanders ran instead, that the Dems would have lost. The US is very finely split and this and the previous election show that that the edge case is the voters who can flip to either side.

I've no idea to what extent not much of an interest in stocks. I'd love to know how many companies took this line, if it's a small number then I think it's not going to have an impact on things, while if it's a big number it's going to effect things.

I wouldn't be sh!tting on Donald, I'd also not big him up.. it's probably more middle of the road with a lean to the good.

Most listed companies buy back their stock. I'd estimate probably about 85% to 90% of companies at least. So the tax cut definitely helped the market. But it wasn't the only factor.

I've no time for Trump at all. I think he's been a disgrace to the office of President and am glad to see the back of him. But that's because he utterly failed as head of state. His actual policies weren't a complete disaster (nor were they as good as Trump himself would have people believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Trump's legal action is off to a flyer. They filed incomplete papers in Michigan and so won't even get a hearing. Looks like this will be the tactic to waste time. Such incompetence.

What else do you expect, when they are looking for freebie lawyers and won’t be reimbursing them (with Donald the maybe implies never)

https://twitter.com/scottpullins/status/1325258278104948737?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

John King back on the screen now if you missed your fix!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

omega man wrote: »
    John King back on the screen now if you missed your fix!!

And he's at the map, i saw him sat at the desk a while ago, just not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Joe's lead in Nevada now 36k and 46k in Pennsylvania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I think it's safe to say that had Bernie Sanders ran instead, that the Dems would have lost. The US is very finely split and this and the previous election show that that the edge case is the voters who can flip to either side.

I think you could put a dog up against Donald and the dog would of won out. Joe didn't really have to do or say or promise a whole lot.. Donald fired up people to vote against him, the best thing he did in his near 4 years.

The grassroots are progressives went out and mobilised people, there are report of a woman (her name escapes me atm) and others around her got 800,000 new people engaged in voting in Georgia, that is crazy even more crazy then people thinking the country of Georgia is in the US lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

In some ways probably for the best Donald is going full on with legal challenges, as it prevents him from trying to wreck the place on his way out.

I think he is really desperate, as he will face a lot of legal cases and could end up in prison. People hate the guy, and are rightfully going after him for his crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

But but they’re dead people’s votes...

eeepaulo wrote: »
    And he's at the map, i saw him sat at the desk a while ago, just not the same.

CNN should air the grand national with him doing the commentary. Lots of graphics over the horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

drogon. wrote: »
    What else do you expect, when they are looking for freebie lawyers and won’t be reimbursing them (with Donald the maybe implies never)

https://twitter.com/scottpullins/status/1325258278104948737?s=21

I think they'd better call Saul.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

This is shaping up to not even be close. The GOP new what it was doing by stalling the postal votes, the mirage it generated early on completely dominated the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

FIX! :rolleyes:

in other news, just watching a Biden press conference about his COVID taskforce and his plans for getting COVID under control. So so refreshing to hear an American leader with an actual PLAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This is shaping up to not even be close. The GOP new what it was doing by stalling the postal votes, the mirage it generated early on completely dominated the narrative.

It's nowhere near close. Biden is most likely going to end up flipping 5 states. That's a big win.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,190 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Graham wrote: »
    Are you still trotting out this fairy story.

Have you managed to answer the question why this would benefit one party over another? Wasn't it Trump who suggested to his supporters they might use multiple votes?

Trump in hindsight should have went along the lines of

'' so the Democrats wants mail in voting, to pump millions of the ballots all over Democratic strong holds, millions of ballots, all going here there and who knows where. Well tell you what tonight sign up for a mail in ballot, get one for your sister, your brother, your dad, your mom, your grand parents, even uncle bob in prison, request millions and millions of these ballots, make sure every person in your family requests one, or registers to vote as to receive one, get your friends to get them, your friend of a friend, even your dog, if dead people can vote why not a dog. Get ballots for everyone you know, and everyone they know''

Instead he was like

'' mail in ballots are fraud, should never be used, never be allowed''

The result was 90% mail in ballots went to democrats to use and abuse in their own homes with no one watching, while republicans voted in person, for the most part.

And here we are, millions of genuine ballots counted, but not exactly checked for things like , 'these 5 from same household has all the same hand writing''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Trump fires the secretary f defense on Twitter :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement