Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

cnocbui wrote: »
    They have a horse-drawn constitution and system of government.

Aye they love their constitution which dates back to 1789 and while it has been amended on occasion, it is very hard to do so under the mechanics it sets out, and as such is a document from well over 200 years ago which is hard to translate into the modern world. The right to bear arms stems from people with muzzle loaded rifles, clearly you'd wonder if their intent was to have 100,000's of people armed with AR 15s. It truly is a horse drawn cart in a world of space travel and supersonic planes!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Penn wrote: »
    Reports that Pence is going on vacation.

So either he has Covid or he thinks they should concede and he's getting out of dodge for a while.
    Just this week.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/09/vice-president-pence-to-reportedly-vacation-in-florida/

So either he has Covid or he thinks they should concede and he's getting out of dodge for a while.

Don't blame him, if I were him I'd be getting out of dodge to avoid myself being tainted irrevocably with the stain of Trump's ongoing actions!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But as I understand it, Trump needs to be re-elected to stay as POTUS. His term, regardless of what happens, finishes in January.

If no-one is declared the winner, then doesn't Pelosi take over?

If the Electoral College is unable to come to a clear outcome due to Republican shenanigans - the 12th Amendment says that the House of Representatives will choose the president between the candidates. But they do this by state delegation and it is almost certain the Republicans hold more state delegations:

if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote

Have no doubt this is the plan they are now pursuing. Whether they will be successful is another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Republicans are backing Trump's baseless claims. To those in this thread that thought that the GOP had a shred of dignity, logic or principles. Nope, shameless populists.
    70% of Republicans believe the election wasn't free and fair. It's incredible, it's like a cult. If I was Trump I would absolutely be claiming the election was fraudulent, no evidence is required, these people will swallow anything he claims.

I was looking at memorable slogans from the 2016 election. Trump had way more. WAY more. It’s rare I give a compliment to him but he very much knows how to plant ideas in people’s head and create reasonable doubt. I actually think he would make a good criminal defense lawyer.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Read this article, US Law around election challenges is poorly written and weak, there is no clear path to resolution, for the past 150 odd years this has been avoided due to the loser making a concession and pathing the way for the new president. Obviously Trump has no decency and is unlikely to follow the norm, which is not legally required, but has to date avoided the US having a full blown constitutional crisis.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

He’s not as stupid as he acts- not by a long shot. He may not ultimately get away with whatever he’s trying to do but I’ve no doubt he’s aiming for some form of constitutional crises - he has friends now in the SC- many of them- will get the funding though I wonder- he’s crowd funding all this legal appeals - it’s not his own money and it’s estimated to run at something like 60 m dollars - it will stop when the money runs out

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

It's one thing Trump mounting a legal challenge to try and save face or make a few quid because he's never going to get enough corruption to over turn the states he lost, but it's another thing going around hosting rallies firing up half the Country telling angry supporters of his that the Presidential election was rigged. It is extremely reckless and dangerous behaviour on Trumps part, by the far the worst thing he could possibly do in his position.

If there is violence to follow he will be 100% responsible for that, and the sickening thing is that he just doesn't seem to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

It's one thing Trump mounting a legal challenge to try and save face or make a few quid because he's never going to get enough corruption to over turn the states he lost, but it's another thing going around hosting rallies firing up half the Country telling angry supporters of his that the Presidential election was rigged. It is extremely reckless and dangerous on Trumps part, by the far the worst thing he could possibly do in his position.

If there is violence to follow he will be 100% responsible for that, and the sickening thing is that he just doesn't seem to care.

He does not give a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

He’s not as stupid as he acts- not by a long shot. He may not ultimately get away with whatever he’s trying to do but I’ve no doubt he’s aiming for some form of constitutional crises - he has friends now in the SC- many of them- will get the funding though I wonder- he’s crowd funding all this legal appeals - it’s not his own money and it’s estimated to run at something like 60 m dollars - it will stop when the money runs out

Isn't nothing to do with money, he firmly believe he won (or rather he cannot comprehend that he is a loser).

Delusional in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is there anyway to render Trump as incapacitated without his parties support for the move?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I was looking at memorable slogans from the 2016 election. Trump had way more. WAY more. It’s rare I give a compliment to him but he very much knows how to plant ideas in people’s head and create reasonable doubt. I actually think he would make a good criminal defense lawyer.

If he can keep stirring the pot, flinging muck, all the way until the electoral college votes, then maybe he can disrupt that exercise too, and ultimately start to impact the whole democratic process.

I don't see any Republican entities or outlets (Fox, etc) siding with reason/sanity in any of this, I am pretty sure he can rely on them siding with him no matter how insane any of this gets.

If we’re all sick of Trump, imagine how Pence feels? Trump and Pence seem like very different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They really seems to be ramping up the lies and disinformation.
    The gullible will stick with Trump to the end.

All 70m of them.

If he can keep stirring the pot, flinging muck, all the way until the electoral college votes, then maybe he can disrupt that exercise too, and ultimately start to impact the whole democratic process.

I don't see any Republican entities or outlets (Fox, etc) siding with reason/sanity in any of this, I am pretty sure he can rely on them siding with him no matter how insane any of this gets.

Well, the news wing of Fox seems to not have his back. The opinion side of things is probably different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

70% of Republicans believe the election wasn't free and fair. It's incredible, it's like a cult. If I was Trump I would absolutely be claiming the election was fraudulent, no evidence is required, these people will swallow anything he claims.

A similar % probably believe coronavirus is a hoax and climate change also a hoax. An idiot president with delusions of grandeur and an equally idiotic base are a dangerous mix.

Well, the news wing of Fox seems to not have his back. The opinion side of things is probably different.

I don't agree, in the beginning they may have sided with reality but they seem to have been scared by the "dump Fox" slogans starting to come out of their faithful - I think they'll go with Trump to the bitter end

Georgia lead for Biden now up to 12.3k. More than half the counties there have certified their results too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i think this is going to turn very ugly. he's literally trying to steal the election in front of everyone's eyes and the AG and senior republicans are complicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Inquitus wrote: »
    Get your marching boots on :P

0MNyKYG.png

And bring your own torch

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

froog wrote: »
    i think this is going to turn very ugly. he's literally trying to steal the election in front of everyone's eyes and the AG and senior republicans are complicit.

Even though the republicans might be complicit, I actually don't see how the Supreme Court is going to help him. It is no where like Al Gore v Bush. I think it is just a waiting game now.

• Advertisement

drogon. wrote: »
    Even though the republicans might be complicit, I actually don't see how the Supreme Court is going to help him. It is no where like Al Gore v Bush. I think it is just a waiting game now.

Don't think the Supreme Court here is the end game. The aim is to sow chaos and confusion to the point the results don't get certified in a number of states (aided by Republican Governors and legislatures). This would cause the Electoral College to fail to elect either Trump or Biden and it would go forward to the House of Reps. A few days ago this was unthinkable but it's becoming at least a (slim) possibility.

I don't agree, in the beginning they may have sided with reality but they seem to have been scared by the "dump Fox" slogans starting to come out of their faithful - I think they'll go with Trump to the bitter end

Yesterday, they cut away from Kayleigh Whatsherface in the middle of her briefing because the anchor was so alarmed at what she was saying.

Yesterday, they cut away from Kayleigh Whatsherface in the middle of her briefing because the anchor was so alarmed at what she was saying.

Did you see her speech, she was rabid in her allegations!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

ebbsy wrote: »
    All 70m of them.

I wonder what percentage of those are gullible enough to swallow his lies. Surely some must be turned off by his total disregard for the democratic process.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Don't think the Supreme Court here is the end game. The aim is to sow chaos and confusion to the point the results don't get certified in a number of states (aided by Republican Governors and legislatures). This would cause the Electoral College to fail to elect either Trump or Biden and it would go forward to the House of Reps. A few days ago this was unthinkable but it's becoming at least a (slim) possibility.

So how can he disrupt the electoral college process I wonder?

https://eu.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/08/2020-election-trump-won-ohio-what-happens-electoral-college/6164857002/

Can the Electoral College go rogue?
    Ohio law requires its electors to cast their ballots for the winner of the state's popular vote, certified by Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose. Some states fine or replace electors who try to go rogue, but Ohio isn't one of them.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled earlier this year that states can remove or punish electors who refuse to vote for the presidential candidate they were pledged to support.

The case reached the Supreme Court, in part, because a Colorado elector tried to vote for then-Ohio Gov. John Kasich over Democrat Hillary Clinton who won the state. His vote was thrown out and replaced with an elector who selected Clinton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

froog wrote: »

He cant "steal" anything. If it was to go through the Supreme Court it would all be legal. And yes, it would get ugly - the left would cause ARMAGEDDON whilst the Trump supporters salt mine from the comfort of their homes. And before you no doubt point out, its not going to happen - I agree with you on that.

I wonder what percentage of those are gullible enough to swallow his lies. Surely some must be turned off by his total disregard for the democratic process.

You'd think..

Over 90% of Republicans still support Trump, after everything. Then again a poll found 44% of Republicans believe Bill Gates will use Coronavirus to inject them with tracking chips..

Somehow I get the feeling Trump is not the real underlying issue here..

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

You spend years of telling people the Dems are going to bring communism to America and they will end up like Venezuela coupled with the lack of education in Republican areas and they will forget all about the democratic process if it keeps the Dems out and the GOP in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

He cant "steal" anything. If it was to go through the Supreme Court it would all be legal. And yes, it would get ugly - the left would cause ARMAGEDDON whilst the Trump supporters salt mine from the comfort of their homes. And before you no doubt point out, its not going to happen - I agree with you on that.

What does "salt mine"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

You'd think..

Over 90% of Republicans still support Trump, after everything. Then again a poll found 44% of Republicans believe Bill Gates will use Coronavirus to inject them with tracking chips..

Somehow I get the feeling Trump is not the real underlying issue here..
    Another poll found 50% of Trump supporters believe the Democrats are running a child sex trafficing ring

These people aren't playing with the full deck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement