Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,186 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's a such a blatant fúcking swindle. One last desperate cash grab with the immunity his presidency gives him.

Lawyers get paid for this farce and as per the fine print, Trump pockets a portion of the donations towards his "righteous battle."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭briany

Overheal wrote: »
    Full story:

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/lawyers-litigating-for-trump-suddenly-remember-their-licenses-are-on-the-line-if-they-lie-to-a-judge/

"In summary, the Trump campaign appeared in court and they neither identified nor alleged any systemic fraud. The case focuses on 592 ballots that have not been counted in a county where the president is behind by 130,000 votes, and in a state where the president is behind by 46,000 votes."

Did you ever see an episode of Judge Judy where the plaintiff's case is so thin, that JJ just looks enraged that this person even had the neck to show up and pretty much says to the plaintiff, "Get the f**k out of my face. Case dismissed."?

Yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Lads he's done some absolutely bizarre stuff today.

Stefan Simanowitz (@StefSimanowitz) Tweeted:
    Over the last 24 hours #Trump has sacked the entire Pentagon civilian leadership

Mark Esper was fired by tweet on Monday & replaced with Miller

*Over the last 72 hours, Trump has also sacked the heads of the agencies that oversee nuclear weapons & electricity/natural gas supply.* https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1326302670253121537?s=20

Axios (@axios) Tweeted:
    Republicans are hinting at an extreme last-chance way for Trump to cling to power.

In this long-shot scenario, Trump could try to block key secretaries of state from certifying results, allowing state legislatures to appoint pro-Trump electors. https://t.co/RbBpOFLZsf https://twitter.com/axios/status/1326520461560336384?s=20

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/11/trump-nsa-ellis-firings.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/11/downright-dangerous-democrat-alarm-as-trump-stacks-pentagon-with-loyalists

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

But that this is the thing. The Trump campaign put out a call for lawyers willing to work for free. and even if they are not working for free there is no guarantee they will actually get paid.

I would think the lawyers working for Trump are falling in to 3 categories.

Genuinely buy in to his BS that this was stolen.
    Feel that it is important to dot every i and cross every t.
    Think that it will help them locally, or in their own career aspirations to have fought the good Republican fight.

I suspect none of them are doing so expecting to be paid, or if they are, questions need to be asked about how they passed the bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Well well, Georgia are having another look...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/nov/11/us-election-2020-joe-biden-donald-trump-kamala-harris-transition-supreme-court-obamacare-coronavirus-covid-live-updates
    “This will help build confidence. It will be an audit, a recount and a recanvass all at once.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I would think the lawyers working for Trump are falling in to 3 categories.

Genuinely buy in to his BS that this was stolen.
    Feel that it is important to dot every i and cross every t.
    Think that it will help them locally, or in their own career aspirations to have fought the good Republican fight.

I suspect none of them are doing so expecting to be paid, or if they are, questions need to be asked about how they passed the bar.

It's also a shot to nothing with very high profile cases

Any skill that they can show can be attributed to any tiny victory. Could be very good for them professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

sabat wrote: »

They are doing a recount. Given the tight margin that was always on the cards. Not going to change anything but good to get it done to further dispel any of the Trump nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's probably the right thing to do, and better they called for it than Trump mandating it.

s1ippy wrote: »

Over the last 24 hours #Trump has sacked the entire Pentagon civilian leadership

*Over the last 72 hours, Trump has also sacked the heads of the agencies that oversee nuclear weapons & electricity/natural gas supply.* https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1326302670253121537?s=20

Axios (@axios) Tweeted:
    Republicans are hinting at an extreme last-chance way for Trump to cling to power.

In this long-shot scenario, Trump could try to block key secretaries of state from certifying results, allowing state legislatures to appoint pro-Trump electors. https://t.co/RbBpOFLZsf https://twitter.com/axios/status/1326520461560336384?s=20

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/11/downright-dangerous-democrat-alarm-as-trump-stacks-pentagon-with-loyalists

There are a few 'it's not over' pro-Trump merchants on this board. Right now, their thinking seems to be they can get certain states flipped by investigating the counts. OK, but would they be comfortable with what these tweets are alleging actually coming to pass and Trump attempts to completely bypass the democratic process in order to remain president. Would they come on and be all smug about a bona fide authoritarian takeover? Hell of a position to take. It involves having to take the mask off fully, for one.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,660 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

time to 25th the dangerous orange ba$tard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's also a shot to nothing with very high profile cases

Any skill that they can show can be attributed to any tiny victory. Could be very good for them professionally.

Agree, that kinda thing is what I was alluding to in point 3.

Could be argued the whole Kardashian empire was put on its path with their father representing OJ Simpson although he was successful in his own right at that point.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Nothing surprising there at all , once the gap is less than 0.5% a recount occurs.

It will change nothing about the result , nor will it change the opinions of those that genuinely believe that there was Fraud.

A recount will happen , they'll probably find a few hundred ballots that were incorrectly applied or that should have been rejected for some technicality or other. Both candidates will gain/lose a few votes , but the result will not change.

The people that accept the result right now will see it for what it was - Largely a waste of time , but sure.. Go ahead.

Those that currently don't accept the result will see the handful of errors found as clear evidence of wholesale fraud -Which is exactly how Trump will describe them in his tweets.

They will view the final result as a cover-up and will believe that the "deep-state" are hiding the real scale of the fraud and only threw a few crumbs out to put the "sheeple" off the scent.

The result won't change and no one will have the mind changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Does anyone else sense that somewhere, a decision has already been taken against Trump, and that he is now doomed to failure, irrespective of all eventualities.

I suspect that the "establishment" has voted him out but I can't explain how he remained in power for 4 years, he doesn't appear to have fulfilled any useful "stooge" role.

Well the big eventuality was that somewhere around 77million Americans voted against him.

Now I was always led to believe that The Establishment was a small minority of connected people, but maybe the US one is 77 million or so.

What if Trump manages to muddy the waters enough to question the validity of the result ?

This is, after all, the very reason why he appointed so many of his own people to positions of power.

Think of the Waters as The Atlantic Ocean, the only mudding he has done in actual terms is created a little brown pool in the fountain out front of the Whitehouse.

Now of course in the minds of the great unwashed of the Trump support bandwagon the Atlantic is brown.

But what some people believe is often far removed from the truth.
    omega man wrote: »
    I suspect its those Georgia senate elections in January that are motivating the GOP support of trump right now.

The Republicans are turning on each other.
    The two Rep senators and front runners in the Senate race in Georgia, Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, have turned on the Republican secreatary of state and demanded his resignation.

They released a statement saying :
    The Secretary of State has failed to deliver honest and transparent elections. He has failed the people of Georgia, and he should step down immediately."

Last night the Republican Lieutenant Governor had to come out to defend his friend and colleague.
    He is probably next in firing line.

It's actually fun to watch them tear each other apart.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Trump campaign moved to dismiss it's own case in Nevada Supreme Court. I know everyone is entitled to their day in court but these lawsuits are beyond a joke at this stage. They have so little substance that they are being thrown out all over the pace and now they are even throwing out their own cases!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

When did Jon Voight lose his marbles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It will change nothing about the result , nor will it change the opinions of those that genuinely believe that there was Fraud.

A recount will happen , they'll probably find a few hundred ballots that were incorrectly applied or that should have been rejected for some technicality or other. Both candidates will gain/lose a few votes , but the result will not change.

The people that accept the result right now will see it for what it was - Largely a waste of time , but sure.. Go ahead.

Those that currently don't accept the result will see the handful of errors found as clear evidence of wholesale fraud -Which is exactly how Trump will describe them in his tweets.

They will view the final result as a cover-up and will believe that the "deep-state" are hiding the real scale of the fraud and only threw a few crumbs out to put the "sheeple" off the scent.

The result won't change and no one will have the mind changed.

It's interesting how you managed to take the entirety of what you want to happen and convert it into a definitive prediction about what will happen. You have zero idea what might turn up. If it does transpire that enough irregularities occurred to hand it to Biden then there's a very good case-and probably a lot more public support-for reopening AZ and WI.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,670 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So they won the motion to have the case dismissed?

Another significant court win for Trump. Send more money quick!!!!:rolleyes:

s1ippy wrote: »

Axios (@axios) Tweeted:

I’ve read a few articles on that long-shot to cling to power - CNN featured it today as well- while it’s possible it’s unlikely in that the electors have already been chosen - but yeah, this and beyond, where it’s back to Congress or House of Representatives or whatever it’s called , to choose their president is where Trump wants to get through- but it’s a difficult path and odds would be slim right now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Boggles wrote: »
    When did Jon Voight lose his marbles?
    He's been that way for about 2 decades or so. Blames the Communists for his militant anti-Vietnam protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's interesting how you managed to take the entirety of what you want to happen and convert it into a definitive prediction about what will happen. You have zero idea what might turn up. If it does transpire that enough irregularities occurred to hand it to Biden then there's a very good case-and probably a lot more public support-for reopening AZ and WI.
    Irregularities are expected even in the very best electoral systems but they tend to account for a miniscule number of votes, except for Belarus! They'll have little effect here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not at all - It's based on history and factual evidence.

No recount in the US has ever found more than a few hundred votes that needed to be swapped or removed , ever.

There have been 31 State level recounts in the last 20 years in the US and only 3 resulted in the initial result being over-turned. None found more than a few hundred votes that needed modification one way or the other.

In those 3 cases, the number of votes involved in flipping the result were 239 Votes , 390 Votes and the largest one was 440 votes (Al Franken in MN in 2008).

For a recount , there is absolutely ZERO chance that they will find thousands and thousands of incorrectly attributed votes , zero.

Now - He has his court cases which if successful could result in large numbers of votes being excluded , like his PA Mail-in Voting challenge , but they are independent of a recount.

I don't think you'll find a single legal expert outside of the Trump team that believes that those cases have merit though so their chances of success are remote at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,604 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's important to note those disputed ballots in PA have not been added to the count. They can only help Biden, in sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is probabilistic. Recounts rarely change it by very much if ever. We can see the legal strategy has things being thrown out left right and center. When they are issuing out 100 fake claims it indicates they have nothing or else they would have started and stuck with the real claim.

All this is is a man shouting there is no smoke without fire while holding a smoke machine. Sure it could change things. Heck maybe the Libertarian candidate actually won every state. About the same order of probability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

Has the count finished in Georgia? If not why announce a recount and why hasn’t anyone projected the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

omega man wrote: »
    Has the count finished in Georgia? If not why announce a recount and why hasn’t anyone projected the state?

No, but there's not many votes left. Trump is polling at 56%, not enough to overtake Biden, but Biden won't go 0.5% clear of Trump either.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

I can't post a link, but it seems he's firing a lot of the administration and appointing people "loyal" to him including in the Pentagon. I believe there are safeguards to prevent him from taking over the armed forces but is there a risk that he'll at best, attempt a military takeover or at worst, just nuke the place or start some sort of nuclear war on the way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    I can't post a link, but it seems he's firing a lot of the administration and appointing people "loyal" to him including in the Pentagon. I believe there are safeguards to prevent him from taking over the armed forces but is there a risk that he'll at best, attempt a military takeover or at worst, just nuke the place or start some sort of nuclear war on the way out?

Let’s hope he starts with Cali

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's been that way for about 2 decades or so. Blames the Communists for his militant anti-Vietnam protests.

He's in illustrious company in terms of celebrities who rabidly support Trump. Kirstie Alley and Randy Quaid are also fully paid-up MAGA-hat-wearing conspiracy nuts.

Oh, Gary Busey's a fan as well.

The trump court cases remind me of the crack pot cases that occurred here after the last two referendums, groundless and a waste of time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The trump court cases remind me of the crack pot cases that occurred here after the last two referendums, groundless and a waste of time and money.

Trump reminds me of Gemma O'Doherty :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement