Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is like a balloon deflating slowly isn't it? All the Trump supporters hopes vanishing into think air day by day. Its over. Its fascinating to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Can you explain how your first point relates to your second point?

The first statement is an answer to the question I was asked

The second is an separate point of news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The Nal wrote: »
    This is like a balloon deflating slowly isn't it? All the Trump supporters hopes vanishing into think air day by day. Its over. Its fascinating to watch.

You can see it align with as Trump tones down and begins to accept.

It's very interesting to watch from a psychology perspective. In the end a lot of these people will come around to the fact that they have been doing a compulsive liars bidding and will feel fairly silly without admitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    You can see it align with as Trump tones down and begins to accept.

It's very interesting to watch from a psychology perspective. In the end a lot of these people will come around to the fact that they have been doing a compulsive liars bidding and will feel fairly silly without admitting it.

Something like a Doomsday Cult when the predicted end of the world doesn't materialize: https://slate.com/technology/2011/05/apocalypse-2011-what-happens-to-a-doomsday-cult-when-the-world-doesn-t-end.html

"The faithful could just as easily be those who stubbornly stand by disgraced politicians, failed ideologies, dishonest friends, or cheating spouses, even when reality highlights the clearest of inconsistencies."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You can see all semblance of policy going straight out the window right now, donny is lashing out left, right and centre.

Fortunately most countries will just ignore him until January when all his executive orders go boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The first statement is an answer to the question I was asked

The second is an separate point of news

So kind of like:

I think the Proud Boys are a danger to democracy.

Biden has no law suits waiting for him. Trump has a multitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Michigan leader of blm has been arrested as part of a sexual assault investigation

Do you believe that people are innocent until proven guilty?

If so, why mention it?

If you don't believe that people are innocent until proven guilty, what is your view regarding the 20+ allegations of sexual assault/rape against Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What I hope is that the media ignore him when he's gone. I'm afraid they won't and take any chance to make him look bad when the better option is to just not give him any air time.
    It's clear there's a lot of demented followers and they'll just brush off any bad press as fake news. No air time is the best approach.

I recall the threads being inundated with his supporters on the evening of the election when they believed that he had it in the bag. The boasting was something to behold.

when it became clear that the postal votes could possibly swing it for Biden, it was like someone switched on a light and all the cockroaches scurried back under cover

eagle eye wrote: »
    What I hope is that the media ignore him when he's gone. I'm afraid they won't and take any chance to make him look bad when the better option is to just not give him any air time.
    It's clear there's a lot of demented followers and they'll just brush off any bad press as fake news. No air time is the best approach.

Agreed.

The media are directly responsible for a good portion of his recipe for success in 2016.

The free airtime they gave him was worth tens of millions of dollars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Deluded to the end.

Orange Man Bad!

Orange man fu*king baby more like,throwing his toys out of the pram, only dicks and conspiracy theory believers having anything to do with him at this point and making hollow arguments about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There was a good opinion pieve in Politico about that very thing.

In essence that Trump of course would not disappear, his Twitter gives him ready access to millions and he might have direct access to TV through either his own channel of OANN or similar.

But the reason he is so overwhelming is the position that the POTUS gives him. Every word, press briefing, tweet etc is poured over by millions, across the world. Being the POTUS brings amazing power, and amazing importance.

But, no longer being the POTUS has the opposite effect. Sure, Trump, will no doubt continue to throw bricks at Biden, but they are of no relevance, he can no longer 'own the libs". After the 1st few months, people will simply switch off. Either he is continuing on with the whole 'poor is me, they were all against me' line or he simply has little to say, but either way, it isn't important.

Will his supporters, in the numbers he needs, remain with him through 4 years of nothing, with no guarantee of success at the end of it?

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/16/trump-cant-fight-the-laws-of-presidential-eclipse-436873

Take this thread as an example. Already we have seen many of those gleefully saying that Trump would win the days and night of the election have stopped posting. Does anybody think a Donald Trump thread will be anywhere as busy during the next four years as the POTUS Trump ones have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There was a good opinion pieve in Politico about that very thing.

In essence that Trump of course would not disappear, his Twitter gives him ready access to millions and he might have direct access to TV through either his own channel of OANN or similar.

But the reason he is so overwhelming is the position that the POTUS gives him. Every word, press briefing, tweet etc is poured over by millions, across the world. Being the POTUS brings amazing power, and amazing importance.

But, no longer being the POTUS has the opposite effect. Sure, Trump, will no doubt continue to throw bricks at Biden, but they are of no relevance, he can no longer 'own the libs". After the 1st few months, people will simply switch off. Either he is continuing on with the whole 'poor is me, they were all against me' line or he simply has little to say, but either way, it isn't important.

Will his supporters, in the numbers he needs, remain with him through 4 years of nothing, with no guarantee of success at the end of it?

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/16/trump-cant-fight-the-laws-of-presidential-eclipse-436873
    that is assuming he doesn't get booted off twitter soon after jan 20th. The only reason he hasn't been booted off is because he is president. that protection will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

that is assuming he doesn't get booted off twitter soon after jan 20th. The only reason he hasn't been booted off is because he is president. that protection will end.

Same applies for being charged with obstruction of justice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Looking forward to you guys supporting voting practices being reviewed nationwide. Something Republicans, unsurprisingly, have largely been resistant to up until the current situation where their guy lost and didn't have a brother in a key state to help him out.

Limited Ballot Boxes in Texas

I can't speak to the NC example, but the Texas one is slightly out of context. Ordinarily, the authorised number of boxes is 'zero', Abbott (arguably without authority) allowed the option for each county. They are not considered particularly important due to the rarity of voters who would use them: of 254 counties in Texas, I believe 250 of them were only ever going to have one box before he put the limit, including my county of 1.9mn. Some of the others, like Travis, had them right next to each other, necessitating a long drive anyway. Really only Harris county made use of the option, with 12 locations chosen to support the over 4mn people, which is hardly huge coverage either.

The argument for limiting the boxes didn't make much sense, but the argument that it was going to have any particular notable effect on the elections similarly doesn't make much sense. As the Fifth Circuit observed, it is hard to consider something voter suppression just because an expansion in options isn't as great as some would like.
    Looking forward to you guys supporting voting practices being reviewed nationwide. Something Republicans, unsurprisingly, have largely been resistant to up until the current situation where their guy lost and didn't have a brother in a key state to help him out.

Access to voting in Georgia

For this one, if you read your own article, you'll see that there have been attempts to help and hinder from both sides, and that the issue of polling place locations is a county level issue. The counties around Atlanta are Democrat run.

Two relevant quotes:
    Besides the board's actions, the Georgia Senate considered a proposal filed in February and endorsed by Raffensperger. It would have required county elections supervisors to add more equipment or poll workers, or split up any precincts with more than 2,000 voters, if there was a wait longer than an hour measured at three points on Election Day.

More than 1,500 of Georgia's 2,655 precincts have at least 2,000 voters — many of them in urban Democratic counties — and Raffensperger said at the time that voters should never have to wait more than 30 minutes.

But the bill, SB 463, was opposed by Democratic lawmakers and voting rights groups, who argued that any revamping in an election year would cause confusion and create more ways to keep people from casting their ballot.

[...]

That same month, after the primary election, Raffensperger held a press conference in Fulton County outside Park Tavern, which had processed more voters than 96% of the state's polling places. Flanked by posters highlighting recent election woes, he urged local officials to add poll workers and voting locations while improving technical support and training.

"We know that we need a more diverse pool of voting locations to spread the load of voters that we are anticipating," Raffensperger said.

Nikema Williams, chair of Georgia's Democratic Party, said that while state officials took little or no action to stop widespread voting problems in nonwhite communities, local elections officials are also responsible, since they ultimately decide whether to close or open more voting sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

Why would Mark zuckerberg give 400 million to the us election? and follow the money see where it was allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Whatever about Trump. Him, and this election has shown that unfortunately there is huge interest in the divisive positions which he helped to create.

He had 4 years of undermining the press, being rude and dismissive to anyone who opposed him, undermining science in terms of the environment and more specifically Covid-19 not to mention being outright xenophobic and displaying white supremacist leanings. And 73M people decided, Yes please, can we have this again.

I've said here before I think a big barrier to seeing more of him in future in terms of him driving a media wing will be his ability to access funding but, and I repeat, unfortunately, the market is there for it and the Steve Bannon's and Dominic Cummings of this world I would bet are putting serious effort in to considering how to access it and use it to get their next chosen candidate to the top.

For anyone interested in science, facts, discourse and ultimately trying to help society, we shouldn't see Trump losing as the end of all that. I was genuinely unable to sleep on the night of the election during that period when Trump had stormed ahead and bookies were shifting odds to his favour. He went to 1/3 at one point on PP. My concern was not specifically about Biden losing but what Trump winning would mean. I believed beforehand and still do that he would have gone off the charts in his second term knowing that he could essentially walk out undefeated and I do not think that that would have been good for the world. He lost, but we were lucky he was so incompetent, the next one who is as selfishly focused in their belief that the current economy is all that matters might be able to smile and praise their opponents while still doing as much damage and that will be much harder to defeat.
    And we are much closer to such a person getting power than we are to someone like Sanders, who conservatives might think is equally as bad but in the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

normakelle wrote: »
    Why would Mark zuckerberg give 400 million to the us election? and follow the money see where it was allocated.

LOL its conspiracy theories again is it?

Maybe they did it because senate republicans refused to pass a relief bill containing the required 3.6 billion for changes to the elections system that were needed thanks to covid.

In today's edition of "there's always a tweet"....

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/931877599034388480?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He's still insisting he won.

Fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Fascinating.

Yup, still tweeting in all caps :pac:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1329075487553974275?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Fascinating.

I'd be really curious to see how far down the rabbit hole he goes, only for he has ready access to a nuclear arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Interesting interview here from 2011. Trump praising Clinton at 1 min in. Who would've thought 5 years later he would be calling him a rapist in front of his wife and daughter. Shows the kind of guy he is.

This is why I find uber support for politicians very weird. They're all oddballs.

He probably now has more flagged tweets than electoral votes....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

***Rage tweeting klaxon***

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

francois wrote: »
    ***Rage tweeting klaxon***

And remember, this is their "stable genius", the "Alpha male" the president with the "thickest skin" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1329087255168708608

I swear to God we've all seen this on the playground in national school where some kid would get outraged, make up a new rule and declare that they were the winner of the hide and seek or tag or whatever game was being played.

This is the holder of the most powerful office in the world. We've read about ancient rulers being anywhere from a bit crazy and dramatic to outright psychotic and deranged with some of their actions. We're watching such a ruler live before our eyes. What is fascinating is how many of his fans doubled down in his support.
    Take last saturday for example, the MAGA march in DC and he drove through it. So so far from the example set by say others who led their movements at the head of Marches instead of driving through them to go golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

He has to be intentionally trying to get himself banned from Twitter at this point. Himself and his Jonestown followers would see him as an even bigger martyr than they already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1329060562442067969

I have read that 4 times, not a fúcking scooby what he ranting about. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement