Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Don't feed the trolls folks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

briany wrote: »
    Aw, I miss Randy Quaid. He was brilliant in Kingpin. Now, it seems as though he has turned into Cousin Eddie.

Does anyone else when they read Randy Quaid automatically think Denis Quaid. No, just me so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭briany

listermint wrote: »
    Does anyone else when they read Randy Quaid automatically think Denis Quaid. No, just me so :p

I used to get them confused fairly easily, myself, but now I remember that one of them continues to be busy acting in movies and TV, and the other's name is Randy.

Unfortunately, Randy seems to be another Hollywood actor who has fallen into the Trump rabbit hole. Actually, in Randy's case, he'd already been down a few such holes.

I wouldn't mind, but when they go declare their support of Trump, it's often to that high level. Like, they can't just say the prefer his support of low taxes and non-interventionism. They have to be on board with the whole voter fraud without evidence (preferably expressed in a scream tweet).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

francois wrote: »
    They can't, they have invested so much in the conspiracy lunacy that to back out now woud be an adminssion that they were a) totally conned and b) conned because they weren't smart enough to see through the con.

David Aaronovitch's Voodoo Histories is a great read about conspiracy theories

Most people would be forgiving if they just admitted they were wrong and started making amends.

wes wrote: »
    Most people would be forgiving if they just admitted they were wrong and started making amends.

How many posters on this very site have found themselves in a spot where they kind of knew they were on the losing end of an argument, but didn't want to just say, "OK, look, I'm wrong."? Especially where they enter the debate with a forceful opinion? I can recall seeing it, but not much.

So, now, if you imagine yourself in a Trump t-shirt and hat, surrounding yourself with people who share your beliefs, it's very hard to reconcile your platform with the reality of the situation. You'd gone into that movement full force, and it's just too much of an ego death to totally disavow it.

I think the best you can hope for is that some of these people return to normality after a period of reflection. I think it's a good psychological principle - if you want someone to do something, it really helps if you can let them think it was their own idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,806 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Aw, I miss Randy Quaid. He was brilliant in Kingpin. Now, it seems as though he has turned into Cousin Eddie.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1331222133171687424?s=20

:(:(:(:(

Many will have seen the Rudy in drag scene with Donny Snr, but I have never seen this.

Rudy.. played by James Woods..

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1331188279639642113?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

everlast75 wrote: »
    Many will have seen the Rudy in drag scene with Donny Snr, but I have never seen this.

Rudy.. played by James Woods..

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1331188279639642113?s=20

the laughter really ruined a rather romantic moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I used to get them confused fairly easily, myself, but now I remember that one of them continues to be busy acting in movies and TV, and the other's name is Randy.

Unfortunately, Randy seems to be another Hollywood actor who has fallen into the Trump rabbit hole. Actually, in Randy's case, he'd already been down a few such holes.

I wouldn't mind, but when they go declare their support of Trump, it's often to that high level. Like, they can't just say the prefer his support of low taxes and non-interventionism. They have to be on board with the whole voter fraud without evidence (preferably expressed in a scream tweet).

A number of them are just attention seekers, like John Lydon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pennsylvania has certified. Congrats to Joe....again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Assange, maybe.

Snowden, never.

The list of charges against Assange went up during Trump's term. I wouldn't be expecting any pardons if I was Julian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

This is just like an action film !!!

We're getting to see Joe Biden win the same race dozens of times from different angles and at different speeds

Or watch Trumpeter fall to the canvas repeatedly after the same KO punch

( I'll leave out a sex scene comparison )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Pennsylvania has certified. Congrats to Joe....again.

Nevada Supreme Court certifies Joe Biden's win in Nevada.

Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Boom.

So much #winning!

Trump's tactic to get the result overturned in the courts had one fatal flaw: He had no case to bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Boom.

Joe's winning margin widens but Trump still claiming "fake"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Biden has now crossed 80m votes. That is the biggest vote for a POTUS in history. I think it was never above 70m in the past.

Another way to look at it, never before have so many people voted one person out of office as the citizens of the US did with Trump. 80m of them felt that, despite being continually told how truly awful Biden is, that they would vote Trump out of office.

So at least Trump won that I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭Christy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Biden has now crossed 80m votes. That is the biggest vote for a POTUS in history. I think it was never above 70m in the past.

Another way to look at it, never before have so many people voted one person out of office as the citizens of the US did with Trump. 80m of them felt that, despite being continually told how truly awful Biden is, that they would vote Trump out of office.

Maybe Trump was right and people got sick of "winning". I don't get how reconciliation can happen now given many think all Democrats are peado satanists and Trump got 400 EC at a minimum. From browsing the Donald. win I can only presume there would be some homophobic slurs thrown into their descriptions of Democrats and many posters here.

Another thing that must really be bugging Trump today is just how little impact the news of the GSA move last night has actually generated.

The vast majority of people had already moved on and were simply waiting for Trump to accept the inevitable. The only question was how long they would allow him his tantrum.

Trump is already starting to see the loss of impact he will feel once he is no longer POTUS.

Sure he will botch and moan on Twitter, or similar, and he may even hold rallies, but he will be ignored for most of the time. Not completely, because he does generate clicks so media will still want to carry him sometimes, but he will no longer be the thing that people think about 1st thing when they wake up or talk about how stuff went down at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

How Trump’s conspiracy theories have inspired some supporters to boycott the Georgia runoffs

This is going to be fun, would be nice if they let them go with it !

https://www.vox.com/2020/11/24/21612720/trump-election-fraud-conspiracy-theories-stop-the-steal-georgia-runoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You would genuinely have to wonder what is wrong with that man. It would be far and away better if he just stays on the golf course for the next two months.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    You would genuinely have to wonder what is wrong with that man. It would be far and away better if he just stays on the golf course for the next two months.

Would love to see his reaction if Biden comes out and takes credit for it. Citing winning the election and also the start of the transfer of power.

It is clearly really bugging him that this pandemic robbed him of a second term.

It is clearly really bugging him that this pandemic robbed him of a second term.

Or even if the vaccine would have been announced a week before the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I doubt he was getting a second term anyway.

Biden's victory would be more heartening if Trump had not himself won the strongest mandate for a Republican candidate in history with over 70 million votes. In other words, Trump gained around 10 million votes over his 2016 performance. This is not to say that Trump didn't lose, but it was about the best loss he could hope for as his brand of politics remains very viable (sadly).

Hard to know where Trumpism will go from here, though. Although it is very viable, it's also very volatile. It's potent, but permeated by complete hysteria and insanity. Trump has been able to lead it thus far, but it could eat itself from the inside out as the movement reaches saturation point and different factions turn on each other. FOX news is a good example of this as the channel was quite Trump-favourable but the moment it started to break away from Trump dogma in the face of cold reality, Trump supporters turned on it. Any move away from ideological purity will elicit a similar response, I think, and because Trumpism is so paranoid and reactionary, those moves will happen, whether real or imagined.

The last time trump caused a 2 minute disappointment it cost him $130,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I doubt he was getting a second term anyway.

What were his ratings like prior to the pandemic hitting? I always thought if the economy is doing well, chances are you'll get that second term. Maybe not applicable to Trump, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

everlast75 wrote: »
    The last time trump caused a 2 minute disappointment it cost him $130,000...

giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement