Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Always look for the positives. I like it

There are about 14.9 million positives now thanks to Trump....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

everlast75 wrote: »
    There are about 14.9 million positives now thanks to Trump....

All 14.9 million. So you must believe Leo and Martin are responsible for all our positive cases then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

All 14.9 million. So you must believe Leo and Martin are responsible for all our positive cases then.

Maybe you need to think a little more before you comment before you post a knee jerk reaction.

Let me explain it in simpler terms.

Trump has willfully mishandled the pandemic. There are dozens of things he continues to do, to make matters worse, such as host super spreader events.

By way of contrast, for all their flaws, I don't think Michael and Leo have done the same as Trump.

So, in answer to your question, "no".

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

everlast75 wrote:
    Maybe you need to think a little more before you comment before you post a knee jerk reaction.
    Letting skiers home without self-isolating, letting Italian rugby fans come here, Cheltenham, not listening to NPHET when they recommended level 5 the first time?

everlast75 wrote: »

Let me explain it in simpler terms.

Trump has willfully mishandled the pandemic. There are dozens of things he continues to do, to make matters worse, such as host super spreader events.

By way of contrast, for all their flaws, I don't think Michael and Leo have done the same as Trump.

So, in answer to your question, "no".

But you can't possibly blame every case on one leader is my point. It's completely ridiculous and ignores American culture of individualism and materialism, component elements for America's disastrous response to the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Trump madre the virus a partisan issue, calling it a Democratic hoax at the beginning, encouraging crowds to congregate at his rallies and completely ignoring the issue now whole the US is hitting record daily fatalities from the disease, concentrating instead on completely fabricated election fraud accusations. I don't think anything that Leo or Michael have done compares to the absolute sh1tshow that Trump has presided over and the Don's flagrant disregard to the seriousness of Covid had been responsible for many needless deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

eagle eye wrote: »
    Letting skiers home without self-isolating, letting Italian rugby fans come here, Cheltenham, not listening to NPHET when they recommended level 5 the first time?

At least they attend their nphet meetings, can't say that of Trump in the equivalent body

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Iv seen plenty of posts along the lines of "where are the Trump supporters gone hiding " etc. People want to keep the argument going. They have nothing else to talk about. Trump losing is bittersweet for them. Hes out but on the other hand there is now a hole in their daily routine.

For all the jeering and calling people snowflakes that went on before, it is telling that essentially all the trumpistas have disappear or "got busy in real life" at the same time, I doubt there would have been the same level of exodus if trump had won.

What's also telling is the accuracy of the polls (barring Florida, which seemed to hinge on Miami-Dade's turnout), where Pennsylvania was the key state, and turned out to be that way. However, pretty much all the margins were at the high end for trump and low end for Biden, yet the national figures were pretty accurate for Biden. Will be interesting if the pollsters can correct for this.

Also trump has pretty much done all the things people thought he would and was denied by his supporters, declared victory, wouldn't concede, mess up the country as a lame duck president, tick, tick, tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

eagle eye wrote: »

Some bad decisions were made particularly in those early days WRT travel. But our leaders at least aren't trying to purposely mislead their electorate to their own benefit and pretend nothing is wrong

There is a large pretence in Ireland that they care about the American death toll.

• Advertisement

There is a large pretence in Ireland that they care about the American death toll.

I imagine many posters have American family members or friends. I have a fair few including elderly ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think it's fair for a human to care about the death of another human, regardless of where they live. If you don't feel that way, fair enough, but don't tar everyone with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Many of us have family and friends in the US so yes, we do care about how things are being handled there and how bad the infection rate/death toll is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Some bad decisions were made particularly in those early days WRT travel. But our leaders at least aren't trying to purposely mislead their electorate to their own benefit and pretend nothing is wrong

Yes, it is night and day.

Leo Varadkar has a medical degree. He and Micheál Martin generally followed/follow the advice of experts even if the government, like pretty much every one in Europe made (and I'd argue continue to make) serious errors.

Trump has marginalised the US's own experts.
    Trump has continuously downplayed the seriousness of the virus all along.
    Trump has attacked other US politicians (e.g. governors in some states, his opponent in the election) following the advice of public health experts.
    Trump and other Republicans turned first the seriousness of the virus and then the public health measures into political issues and then the power of US media/social media spread these ideas like another virus all over the world, hampering the response in other countries.
    Under Trump the US federal govt. embarked on bad early policies around testing, and interfered with distribution of PPE further damaging the countries reponse to the virus.
    Trump has acted as a sort of quack doctor when it has taken his fancy. He promoted false cures to the US public (and the world) via his presidential "bully pulpit".
    Trump and his Whitehouse have mocked and flouted public health advice to the extent that he and his wife caught a dose themselves and there have been repeated outbreaks of Coronavirus in the Whitehouse and among top level Republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Speak for yourself. Some of us have empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Christy42

We had the same idiotic argument on the UK thread. We have world wide communication. People travelling all over the world for work and school, family getting back into contact with their roots after great grandads etc. came from Ireland. So go take a run and jump if you want to suggest people don't care about their friends and family simply because their reaction to thousands of deaths is inexcusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Christy42 wrote: »
    We had the same idiotic argument on the UK thread. We have world wide communication. People travelling all over the world for work and school, family getting back into contact with their roots after great grandads etc. came from Ireland. So go take a run and jump if you want to suggest people don't care about their friends and family simply because their reaction to thousands of deaths is inexcusable.

They only care because Trump or Boris is running the show. Doesn't seem like anyone gives a toss about Italy, Belgium etc. Must be no relations living in these countries.
    Bolsenaro was another one who was getting slated. Must be a few grannies living in Brazil.

It's very transparent. All show

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Christy42

They only care because Trump or Boris is running the show. Doesn't seem like anyone gives a toss about Italy, Belgium etc.
    Bolsenaro was another one who was getting slated. Must be a few Brazilian grannies living there.

LOL. Please don't talk about Trump and Boris. It is the only way we can defend their failures. Very transparent.

Shocking the way the UK and US are the countries Ireland has historically had the closest links with. Even outside of Trump/Boris most Irish people would be able to telly ou the US President/ UK prime minister at any given time.

How many do you think can name the same for Italy/Belgium?

Christy42 wrote: »

Well that's my observation. People too obsessed and far gone with Trump is what I see. Not much else.

I accept you disagree with me.

They only care because Trump or Boris is running the show. Doesn't seem like anyone gives a toss about Italy, Belgium etc. Must be no relations living in these countries.
    Bolsenaro was another one who was getting slated. Must be a few grannies living in Brazil.

Yeah I agree. How does anyone in Ireland give a toss about what's happening in South Dakota or Nevada.

It doesn't add up.

Death tolls are enormous in Belgium and Italy and I'm guessing many here haven't even bothered to look at the reasons for their death tolls.

Oh but Trump...

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree. How does anyone in Ireland give a toss about what's happening in South Dakota or Nevada.

It doesn't add up.

Same posters will be giving out about plastic paddy Americans come March 17th!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Same posters will be giving out about plastic paddy Americans come March 17th!

Yeah, having concern for the wellbeing of relatives abroad is very much equivalent to this

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It doesn't add up.

Death tolls are enormous in Belgium and Italy and I'm guessing many here haven't even bothered to look at the reasons for their death tolls.

Oh but Trump...

There's an entire thread focusing on Sweden over on the COVID forum, along with discussions on lots of other countries (there is an Italian guy giving regular updates on Italy), given this is a US election thread, then people will of course be talking about how stupid trump is at being a president.

However, what is your point? That people only talk about US deaths as some sort of point scoring? That people can't highlight how badly the current US administration has done in response to a pandemic, and seemingly, doubled down on dealing with it in various stupid ways? If an Irish/French/Italian politician recommends injecting disinfectant and using UV radiation inside the body, you can bet it would have it's own thread somewhere (sarcastically I'm sure).

We'll see how Biden does by following the medical experts, however, I think we can all agree that it's almost impossible to do worse than the trump administration (post pandemic, the biggest problem Biden will have is dealing with the crazy amount of debt trump has built up with his useless big government low tax policies).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I lived there, I have lots of friends and relatives there. I loved the country when I lived there. I may eventually reside there again, as a time share with Ireland.
    I care greatly about what's going on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Iv seen plenty of posts along the lines of "where are the Trump supporters gone hiding " etc. People want to keep the argument going. They have nothing else to talk about. Trump losing is bittersweet for them. Hes out but on the other hand there is now a hole in their daily routine.

Can’t speak for anyone else but, for me, Trump’s slow but steady retreat from news headlines has been a joy. I find him intensely irritating and I cannot wait until I don’t have to hear from him again.

Can’t speak for anyone else but, for me, Trump’s slow but steady retreat from news headlines has been a joy. I find him intensely irritating and I cannot wait until I don’t have to hear from him again.

Trump will live on forever in this thread and the few others on the site.
    You might not hear from him but you will always hear about him.
    Unfollow is surely your next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There's a distinct possibility he won't have any media presence at all for a few years, social or conventional, so there's always hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I chose to write in this thread but apart from that, with him getting less headlines, it has become very easy to avoid him now which wasn’t the case for the last four years. He’s an attention-seeker so naturally he’ll still flap his gums from time to time but he won’t have the same elevated platform to do so. I am already noticing his increased absence and it is good. What a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The leaders you mention got personally "slated" because of the nonsense they came out with during this pandemic & how they behaved [aside from their countries responses & how their leadership damaged them]. The whole shower of them caught the virus too. That didn't help.

Bit of a failure to understand others there.
    I think you are judging them by how you approach everything in politics (zero sum games, team blue wins, team red loses etc).
    As regards Irish people's interest in the US or UK response in particular the reasons for that are fairly obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, because no one had anything to talk about before 2016 and Trump is app anyone has spoken about since........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement