Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Day 64 of the Pennsylvania count (pt 5) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just outta bed, what did I miss?? Jesus is he still only at 253 ?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

eagle eye wrote: »
    His backers are dwindling rapidly. He has no choice but to concede.

I don't think you will see him appear anywhere and admit he lost.

His backers will jump like rats off the sinking ship, but he will go down screaming and crying. Maybe that is the thing that will actually bring people back together.

Once you see that level of hysteria, it's hard not to see his true self for what it is.

In fact there is 50 quid to charity if he comes out and puts his hands up without blaming anyone.

I might even double it if he says anything congratulatory to Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Yeah he’s becoming more isolated. Looks like credible lawyers don’t want to touch it and while Republicans aren’t condemning him, they aren’t exactly supporting him.

As long as Biden wins by a few states rather than just one, I think this peters out with Trump never conceding he actually lost the election but that he was forced out by a legal system and party who wouldn’t back his fight against injustice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,085 ✭✭✭✭briany

DeanAustin wrote: »
    But if you’re wired the way Trump is and if you want to believe there is a conspiracy, I can see how you could believe it. What’s happening at the moment is very unusual.

Trump: Vote in person. Don't trust the postal vote.

Also Trump: Why are so many of these postal votes Dem? I can't get my head around it.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

For those complaining about how long this is taking, worth bearing in mind the 2000 election decider between Bush and Gore took 35 days

• Advertisement

I'm not sure of all the different cases but Justice Alito's order in Pennsylvania is relevant and the Republican request was deemed credible by the court and not complied with, hence Alito's order.

I'm not saying anything about the outcome of the cases, just that I think you might not see Pennsylvania being called even if it does get over the 0.5% difference like some are saying.

Thing is, even without those votes he's gonna win Pennsylvania....

briany wrote: »
    Trump: Vote in person. Don't trust the postal vote.

Also Trump: Why are so many of these postal votes Dem? I can't get my head around it.

lol

It’s obviously had an influence and a big influence but if I was voting, I’d decide how I was going to vote. I wouldn’t blindly follow advice from a Trump or Biden. What’s obviously happened is that a lot of people have done exactly that which has given an unprecedented trend. Unprecedented trends, regardless of the context, will always add fuel to conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thing is, even without those votes he's gonna win Pennsylvania....

I just don't think a network will call it until the litigation is worked out. We'll see soon enough I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

He goes to Supreme court and they discount the illegal mail in ballots.

I am an American citizen resident in Ireland. The USA has established processes to ensure absentee voting for overseas citizens, meaning that my vote is just as legal as anyone else's. On what basis should the Supreme Court decide that my vote is illegal?

Looks like credible lawyers don’t want to touch it and while Republicans aren’t condemning him, they aren’t exactly supporting him.

Sure.. but as long as he has money to pay, there will be lawyers to take that cash.. so it won't go away at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

He will never concede. He’s only gone quiet because he’s plotting a way to mount a successful challenge to the election result.

Whatever happens, he will wreak vengeance on that fragile democracy before he’s done. I can actually envision a scenario where Biden will have to set up an alternative government away from the White House.

Trump is surrounded by sycophants and cowards who will not help him to face reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It’s obviously had an influence and a big influence but if I was voting, I’d decide how I was going to vote. I wouldn’t blindly follow advice from a Trump or Biden. What’s obviously happened is that a lot of people have done exactly that which has given an unprecedented trend. Unprecedented trends, regardless of the context, will always add fuel to conspiracy theories.

I think the global pandemic which is fake news in the minds of plenty of Trump supporters might be playing a role.

Invidious wrote: »
    I am an American citizen resident in Ireland. The USA has established processes to ensure absentee voting for overseas citizens, meaning that my vote is just as legal as anyone else's. On what basis should the Supreme Court decide that my vote is illegal?

Is assume they are talking about the illegal mail in votes, not that all mail in votes are illegal.

You know the 0.0000000000001 percent or whatever statistically irrelevant number it is.

km991148 wrote: »
    Sure.. but as long as he has money to pay, there will be lawyers to take that cash.. so it won't go away at all.

Does Trump have the money though. He’s obviously got issues but he’s not stupid. If he knows he’s ****ed, is he going to spend 60m or whatever to pursue this fully. He’s already gone quiet about the Wisconsin recount when the margin became wide enough that it’d cost him 3m to do it.

And while he will get lawyers if he has the money, will he get the best lawyers money can buy? Some of them will want to hold onto their reputation regardless of the money on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I just don't think a network will call it until the litigation is worked out. We'll see soon enough I suppose.

They said pa is at 0.4 on sky and if it hits 0.5 %the American networks will call it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

In fairness to Trump and his supporters, the swing in voting has been massive. From winning 60%-70% of the in person votes to only getting 10%-20% of the postal votes is a massive swing.

I know it was flagged in advance that the Dems would win the majority of postal votes but did anyone think it would be this severe? I know there are other factors at play too (rural v urban, Trump instructing voters to go in person and Dems saying the opposite).

Let me be clear, I don’t think for a second there is widespread fraud or fraud on any great scale. I think it’s a combination of the above and the fact that we’re in the middle of a pandemic so we’re dealing with a situation and trends that are unprecedented.

But if you’re wired the way Trump is and if you want to believe there is a conspiracy, I can see how you could believe it. What’s happening at the moment is very unusual.

Yes, if one lacks critical thinking then one would be very surprised.

I think the global pandemic which is fake news in the minds of plenty of Trump supporters might be playing a role.

Couldn’t agree more. But if you think the pandemic is being overstated, you’d assume most other people share your world view. So that plays further into the conspiracy if you want to believe it.

Does Trump have the money though. He’s obviously got issues but he’s not stupid. If he knows he’s ****ed, is he going to spend 60m or whatever to pursue this fully. He’s already gone quiet about the Wisconsin recount when the margin became wide enough that it’d cost him 3m to do it.

And while he will get lawyers if he has the money, will he get the best lawyers money can buy? Some of them will want to hold onto their reputation regardless of the money on the table.

Ye he has enough for lawyers and also the potential to earn more. A media 'personality' like that will always be able to raise some cash. Even if it's book deals for alt right nuts.
    Will it be the best representation? No. But we are already in a race to the bottom so not really that important..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In fairness to Trump and his supporters, the swing in voting has been massive. From winning 60%-70% of the in person votes to only getting 10%-20% of the postal votes is a massive swing.

I know it was flagged in advance that the Dems would win the majority of postal votes but did anyone think it would be this severe? I know there are other factors at play too (rural v urban, Trump instructing voters to go in person and Dems saying the opposite).

Let me be clear, I don’t think for a second there is widespread fraud or fraud on any great scale. I think it’s a combination of the above and the fact that we’re in the middle of a pandemic so we’re dealing with a situation and trends that are unprecedented.

Yes - Everybody knew.

All the data before the Election showed that ~70%+ of the mail-in ballots in places like PA were from Democratic party voters.

What has happened is almost exactly as was predicted - Big early lead for Trump based on in-person votes with Biden then closing the gap and surpassing it when the mail-in ballots are cast.

There is absolutely nothing surprising or controversial about what is happening right now, not a thing.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Yes, if one lacks critical thinking then one would be very surprised.

You’ve just said in 12 words what it took me 3 paragraphs to say...

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Yes - Everybody knew.

All the data before the Election showed that ~70%+ of the mail-in ballots in places like PA were from Democratic party voters.

What has happened is almost exactly as was predicted - Big early lead for Trump based on in-person votes with Biden then closing the gap and surpassing it when the mail-in ballots are cast.

There is absolutely nothing surprising or controversial about what is happening right now, not a thing.

And don't forget.. Trump knew it too.. he leveraged this to create the false narrative of fraud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,638 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DeanAustin wrote:
    As long as Biden wins by a few states rather than just one, I think this peters out with Trump never conceding he actually lost the election but that he was forced out by a legal system and party who wouldn’t back his fight against injustice.
    You see he has no way if making it if he loses Pennsylvania. Then you see Arizona which is certain to go to Biden, all bar Alaska and North Carolina are going to Biden at this stage.
    Even NC is not certain for Trump.
    As soon as Pennsylvania is declared it's game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There's apparently only a couple of thousand of these votes at most. I can't see anyone hanging around waiting to find out whether they'll be counted or not - and most legal experts I've heard say they think they are legal votes there is no valid legal case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Is it unprecedented? I was listening to a podcast (by Republicans) months ago where they were saying that frequently early leads by Republicans can fade away as more Democrats vote by post and they get counted after the votes cast on the day.

So it's not a surprise. And while you or I might not jump just because Trump days to there is a percentage (probably small) of his suppoters that will do whatever he wants just because he says so. So if he says don't vote by post, some of them will blindly follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Donald Trump claimed 304 electoral votes was the greatest win in the history of mankind.

Biden's on track for 306.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Does Trump have the money though.

Judging by the forceful and begging nature of the emails sent by his campaign team, it would suggest not. Although, maybe they do and that's just another grift to add to the coffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

hmmm wrote: »
    There's apparently only a couple of thousand of these votes at most. I can't see anyone hanging around waiting to find out whether they'll be counted or not - and most legal experts I've heard say they think they are legal votes there is no valid legal case.

I take the first point.

But how could the legal experts say there is no valid legal case when the case is still ongoing and the democrats are ordered to comply with the ruling? Are we talking about different cases?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Yes - Everybody knew.

In some places yesterday, Biden was getting 80%-90% of counts. On the face of it, thats incredible in a two horse race between two evenly matched opponents. Again, I’ll be clear, I don’t think there is any fraud but it’s unprecedented.

The unprecedented nature of the voting patterns are always going to be enough to fuel a conspiracy theory.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The litigation will become irrelevant very soon.

Biden is just about to pass the 0.5% recount threshold in Pennsylvania and that is without the "disputed" late arriving ballots being included in the totals

So whether Trump wins or loses that case it won't change the result and there won't be a recount - So it really doesn't matter any more.

That gives Biden 273 , even without Arizona , Nevada or Georgia.

Once Biden breaks that 0.5% barrier in Pennsylvania , it is done and dusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

several glitches now. there is going to a hand ballot recount in battle states. the supreme Court will back this.
    zerohedge de source on first part my opinion 2nd part

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement