Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have any suggestions about how to improve on this?

Options
  • 06-11-2020 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

I've just completed my first full week in a new job in an office/ clerical based job.

The thing is I gather that it is generally believed that I am slower to complete the tasks I am assigned in comparison to others who have started around the same time as myself.
    I suppose that this is down to the fact that I have this idea that I don't have all the tasks fully completed & because of this I get into the habit of double checking & re checking my work Ive done so this really wastes time when I could be moving on with the next tasks.
    I also have a fear that what I've done so far is wrong & I get paranoid.
    Anyone able to relate or offer advice?
    Feeling very worried at the moment & afraid the job isnt going to work out for me.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Have you been compared to previous employers in your position?

I generally don't care or listen to what others say about colleagues. It's too subjective.
    Instead I do my job as well as I can and that's it really.

Give yourself time. Its only been a week. No one gets the hang of things in a week.
    You've been given the job. Things will fall into place in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

It's a bit tricky without knowing exactly what your job entails but I'm a big fan of checklists if its a repetitive process for he main things that need to be done each time.

Think through the process, the steps involved and think of anywhere that an error would cause a big mistake/problem. These go on the ckecklist, you print it off and you tick them off as you've carefully checked them so you know they're done. You're not doubting yourself and checking the same things endlessly, if you can see that your checklist is complete.

I also like to do things in the same order if possible. If you know your order off by heart because you always do it the same, then if you need to stop for any reason or park something to come back to later. you make a note of where you stopped and when you pick it up the next time you know exactly what is already done.

I like templates. I've had jobs where I write pretty much the same letters to lots of different people. Pick up a blank fresh template for that type of letter each time and change what you need to. Obviously never copy between individuals letters as that's asking for trouble.

If you're good with Excel or interested in learning, I find it's possible to save huge amounts of time, but again you have to judge if that's useful in your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭I am me123

It's a bit tricky without knowing exactly what your job entails but I'm a big fan of checklists if its a repetitive process for he main things that need to be done each time.

Think through the process, the steps involved and think of anywhere that an error would cause a big mistake/problem. These go on the ckecklist, you print it off and you tick them off as you've carefully checked them so you know they're done. You're not doubting yourself and checking the same things endlessly, if you can see that your checklist is complete.

I also like to do things in the same order if possible. If you know your order off by heart because you always do it the same, then if you need to stop for any reason or park something to come back to later. you make a note of where you stopped and when you pick it up the next time you know exactly what is already done.

I like templates. I've had jobs where I write pretty much the same letters to lots of different people. Pick up a blank fresh template for that type of letter each time and change what you need to. Obviously never copy between individuals letters as that's asking for trouble.

If you're good with Excel or interested in learning, I find it's possible to save huge amounts of time, but again you have to judge if that's useful in your job.

Thank you. Its a public sector clerical job.
    Management remarked today that in comparison to others, I'm not getting as many tasks completed, and just wondering what the issues I was having with it.
    I have been given tutorials in work with other staff taking part.
    I just feel like I'm falling behind everyone else, or at least that is the impression I've gotten from management.
    I guess I just keep doubting myself as I go through each task, and this maybe makes me end up spending longer than I probably should on each one.
    Advice?
    Should I just follow the steps on each one as is - don't doubt myself as much & just submit my tasks as is, then wait for correction on each afterwards, just to improve productivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I am me123 wrote: »
    Management remarked today that in comparison to others, I'm not getting as many tasks completed, and just wondering what the issues I was having with it.
    I just feel like I'm falling behind everyone else, or at least that is the impression I've gotten from management.
    I guess I just keep doubting myself as I go through each task, and this maybe makes me end up spending longer than I probably should on each one.
    Advice?
    Should I just follow the steps on each one as is - don't doubt myself as much & just submit my tasks as is, then wait for correction on each afterwards, just to improve productivity?

Yes. Follow the steps, pay attention, complete the tasks and move on to the next one.

Don’t over think it, if you’ve made mistakes these can be picked up and if you make the same mistakes you can be coached.

Have you been compared to previous employers in your position?

I generally don't care or listen to what others say about colleagues. It's too subjective.
    Instead I do my job as well as I can and that's it really.

Give yourself time. Its only been a week. No one gets the hang of things in a week.
    You've been given the job. Things will fall into place in the coming weeks.

I was given the impression that Im just not matching up in comparison to other employees in my department who started the same time. My understanding is our work will change fairly regularly & its very important to be able to keep up.
    I just feel overwhelmed by it all, and due to COVID, social distancing,etc. I just feel so isolated & lost.
    I have the constant feeling at the back of my mind that I'm missing something with regards to understanding what I am required to do with tasks.
    Also getting the vibe that people cant afford to be watching over my shoulder checking my work.
    Just feel like giving up really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,467 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Do YOUR work, don’t worry about anybody else, what they are doing / not doing...how fast or otherwise they are, focus on YOU and your work, nothing else.

Better to spend an hour on one report, have it 100% accurate and correct, presented well etc, as opposed to do doing two reports in the hour and one contains mistakes because you were in a hurry and that take additional time to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was given the impression that Im just not matching up in comparison to other employees in my department who started the same time. Our understand our work will change fairly regularly & its very important to be able to keep up.
    I just feel overwhelmed by it all, and due to COVID, social distancing,etc. I just feel so isolated & lost.
    I have the constant feeling at the back of my mind that I'm missing something with regards to understanding what I am required to do with tasks.
    Also getting the vibe that people cant afford to be watching over my shoulder checking my work.
    Just feel like giving up really.

It's easy to fall behind through doubting yourself and rechecking everything to make sure it's perfect. I've been there and although it comes from a genuine desire to do well it can be counterproductive.
    I have found that in most workplaces getting things done in time carries a higher percieved value than getting all tasks completed to perfection.
    From the sound of things when you do recheck your work it's usually fine so try to remember this. My advice would be to forge ahead and keep pace with everyone else, and if you get time then spot check what you have done for peace of mind.
    Don't give up. You can find the right balance.

Strumms wrote: »
    Do YOUR work, don’t worry about anybody else, what they are doing / not doing...how fast or otherwise they are, focus on YOU and your work, nothing else.

Better to spend an hour on one report, have it 100% accurate and correct, presented well etc, as opposed to do doing two reports in the hour and one contains mistakes because you were in a hurry and that take additional time to be corrected.

Thanks.
    Its not at all that I feel that I'm not measuring up in terms of performance, etc, rather management feels this way. We have to give the number of tasks we have completed within a certain time period, ie; number of tasks completed from 3 pm one evening and the following day in total , for example. It seems like I'm basically told Im not measuring up in terms of how many Im completing compared to my colleagues who started around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

OP, you post about work anxiety an awful lot. You seem to ruminate over small details and it’s obviously causing you worry and upset. Have you considered looking for some external support?

You might find a therapist useful to help build resilience and confidence, and perhaps learn some calming strategies to use when you start feeling overwhelmed. Even a few sessions might help to ground you a little. Best of luck.

OP, you post about work anxiety an awful lot. You seem to ruminate over small details and it’s obviously causing you worry and upset. Have you considered looking for some external support?

You might find a therapist useful to help build resilience and confidence, and perhaps learn some calming strategies to use when you start feeling overwhelmed. Even a few sessions might help to ground you a little. Best of luck.

Thank you.
    Its more the fact that the job is new & obviously I've never done work with such an amout of detail involved in it before. Certain details have to match, for example.
    Am I nearly better off just trusting myself more that I have done every step required, submit the task as is & move onto the next one to save on time & get more done that way?
    Management asked was there anything that I felt I needed in order to speed up, and obviously they can have someone with me sitting down checking everything as I go, not that I'd ever expect them to do that anyway.
    I've no experience of completing work with so much detail involved.
    I keep hearing that in jobs like this all managers want is to be able to adapt to the work fairly fast - get through a large amount of work, "All managers want is results"
    Just afraid of messing up tbh. Im trying so hard & Im just worried Im not able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Advice?

Theres always a balance between productiving and quality. Managers know this and they know what balance they want you to strike so take the signal from them. If they want you to hurry up do that.

I'd maybe allow myself a little list of important things to check at the end of each piece of work but not be too perfectionist checking everything multiple times if that's not what they want and they're not allowing the time for that. I would read a letter or email once to see that it reads ok.

I'd speak to others and get a sense of what "normal" is if you can't see that from MI available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I get into the habit of double checking & re checking my work Ive done so this really wastes time when I could be moving on with the next tasks.

Isn't this the problem?

When you double and triple check are you finding problems?

If not, I think you need to force yourself to stop the double and triple checking, or at least stop the triple checking and then when you're more confident you can stop the double checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I suppose that this is down to the fact that I have this idea that I don't have all the tasks fully completed & because of this I get into the habit of double checking & re checking my work Ive done so this really wastes time when I could be moving on with the next tasks. ...

Metrics
    Keep note of how long things take, types of work etc.

Triage
    Usually you break down the tasks into fast and slow ones, important and less important. Do enough of the fast ones to it hit your quota, but make sure the important ones get done.

Check list
    Have a check list sheet. If you complete this as you go, you will make less mistakes and you will stop having to recheck things many times.

Automate
    Study your metrics captured along the way and automate the tasks
    Look at ways of speeding up created the work and checking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Management asked was there anything that I felt I needed in order to speed up

It's hard for me to suggest things without knowing the exact process of the job, but can you think yourself about this question management asked you? Is there something you need to help you adjust better to the role?

Are you working with a computer program that you're not used to? Is there a course they could send you on? It might be possible to ask if you could shadow a more experienced staff member in that role for a week or so, until you feel more comfortable with it. You would be able to ask them questions and get feedback on how you are approaching the task.

You're probably worried about not doing well, and that's normal in a new job. And if you're new to the civil service, you might be worried about not passing probation. As others have said, you will need some time to adjust. There are so many things to learn when you start somewhere new, it's overwhelming. Asking for help where you need it is a good thing, and you might just need a bit of extra guidance at the start to make you feel more comfortable with the job. I would speak to your line manager and discuss your options for getting extra support if possible. I think the worst thing you could do is say nothing and build up worry and anxiety over it.

Maybe you just need someone to tell you you're doing the job right. I'd be like that myself, need feedback on something the first one or two times so I know I've got a handle on it, and then I can get up to speed.

MrsBean wrote: »
    It's hard for me to suggest things without knowing the exact process of the job, but can you think yourself about this question management asked you? Is there something you need to help you adjust better to the role?

Are you working with a computer program that you're not used to? Is there a course they could send you on? It might be possible to ask if you could shadow a more experienced staff member in that role for a week or so, until you feel more comfortable with it. You would be able to ask them questions and get feedback on how you are approaching the task.

You're probably worried about not doing well, and that's normal in a new job. And if you're new to the civil service, you might be worried about not passing probation. As others have said, you will need some time to adjust. There are so many things to learn when you start somewhere new, it's overwhelming. Asking for help where you need it is a good thing, and you might just need a bit of extra guidance at the start to make you feel more comfortable with the job. I would speak to your line manager and discuss your options for getting extra support if possible. I think the worst thing you could do is say nothing and build up worry and anxiety over it.

Maybe you just need someone to tell you you're doing the job right. I'd be like that myself, need feedback on something the first one or two times so I know I've got a handle on it, and then I can get up to speed.

Thank you.
    Your reply, has by far hit the nail on the head with exactly how I am feeling.
    It is entirely the case that, because I am new that I have a fear of 'messing up' hence the cycle of double checking & triple checking my work just to make sure its right.
    I feel the need for someone (for now at least) to look over my shoulder and tell me " Yes you're following the steps correctly, this task is finished - now move on to your next task." Just till I get used to the process at least. We're using a new computer system that I have never used before & am just trying to get familiar with what to look for on the screen - what you should see if following the steps correctly. Just some confirmation Im on the right track until im fully proficient..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,467 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In time you’ll become more confident, quicker and won’t be worrying so much. Just keep going as you are, focus on accuracy over speed. YOUR job.

Also I worked with people who’d do a report in 30 minutes, might take me 45 but I’m getting it done error free 99 times out of 100...

Another lad I’m thinking of, a chain smoker would fûck up 1 in 5 of them as he was always in a rush to get to the coffee machine and the smoking area... back to his desk, rush the report and the circle continued...

The boss “ ahh can you run your eye over Martins stuff ? ” I got a bollocking once for not copping an error he made, then it was “nope, I’m not his manager, he’s spending 90 minutes a shift making coffee / drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes outside of break times, not my problem...I’m not his babysitter ...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Thank you.
    Your reply, has by far hit the nail on the head with exactly how I am feeling.
    It is entirely the case that, because I am new that I have a fear of 'messing up' hence the cycle of double checking & triple checking my work just to make sure its right.
    I feel the need for someone (for now at least) to look over my shoulder and tell me " Yes you're following the steps correctly, this task is finished - now move on to your next task." Just till I get used to the process at least. We're using a new computer system that I have never used before & am just trying to get familiar with what to look for on the screen - what you should see if following the steps correctly. Just some confirmation Im on the right track until im fully proficient..

I get ya. It sounds like it's a busy office and maybe there are a lot of COs reporting to one or two EOs/HEOs so they don't have as much time to dedicate to you individually. That doesn't mean you can't ask for help. Once they know about it they have a duty to support you in your role.

It's better to ask for it now than to suffer in silence for weeks or months.
    Some people will need extra help or reassurance and some won't, nothing wrong with it. We are all different and have different learning styles, it's not a one size fits all.
    I think you should ask to chat to your line manager and say exactly as you said above - you'd like someone to check your work and give you feedback so you know you're doing it right. You'll feel more comfortable and confident that you're working to the right standard then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

When you completed the rechecking/double checking etc did you find any/many mistakes or was it correct. If there were few mistakes take cognisance of the fact that your work is up to scratch and reduce the rechecking which means your productivity will increase. If there were a significant amount of mistakes then that is a separate issue.

Everyone worries when they start a new job. Hope it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You said you are double checking then checking again. One check is enough then move on. If you are able to do this:
    Task number one - leave to the side.
    Task number two- leave to the side
    Double check task one and submit.
    Task number three
    Double check task number two.
    And so on. This allows you to check with fresh eyes and you can be confident about the work you submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

- take notes from what others tell you
    - create a process for yourself, as in do x, check y, do z
    - practice your notes, even in your own mind, until they’re 2nd nature to you
    - don’t be afraid to ask for help, but when you get help, you have to act on it and maximise it
    - try to learn and streamline your own process, which may involve you learning other systems such as excel
    - ask what courses you can go on in work, and pay huge attention on them
    - don’t let you anxiety ruin your ability to get stuff done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I've just completed my first full week in a new job in an office/ clerical based job.

The thing is I gather that it is generally believed that I am slower to complete the tasks I am assigned in comparison to others who have started around the same time as myself.
    I suppose that this is down to the fact that I have this idea that I don't have all the tasks fully completed & because of this I get into the habit of double checking & re checking my work Ive done so this really wastes time when I could be moving on with the next tasks.
    I also have a fear that what I've done so far is wrong & I get paranoid.
    Anyone able to relate or offer advice?
    Feeling very worried at the moment & afraid the job isnt going to work out for me.
    Thanks.

Practice the tasks over the weekend to nail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I agree that practice is a huge thing - but I’ve never had an issue with someone asking for help, in terms of guidance, or giving feedback.

My issue would be if someone isn’t taking the feedback on board. And I have a bit of a ‘3 strikes’ system: questions are welcome for a start. And anyone can ask for clarification and help on round two. Round 3, if I’m getting the same questions and asking for feedback - well you’re wasting my time.

I have no problem spending time with someone who is interested and wants to learn, but if I keep getting the same issues, well they’re just wasting my time. The OP needs to make sure they can balance that.

Advertisement