Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N Minus One!

Options
  • 06-11-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Catastrophe Strikes!

There had been something awry with my road bike recently: some weird noises coming from near the bottom bracket (naturally, as all the weirdest noises sound like they are coming from there).

I assumed that there may be a problem with the way the wheels were seated, so they got a loosening and re-tightening. Had a look at the headset too.
    The sound remained.

Had a look at the saddle. It was on the way out anyway, so that got replaced.
    The sound remained.

The gears started hoppin' and skippin' a bit. I could adjust them, so I'm not too worried there.
    The sound remained.

Rear brake looks like it is not springing back as well as I'd like. This is strange as I had definitely spent a day or two of dismantling, degreasing, and reassembling this brake before the summer.
    The sound remained.

Maybe the bloody wheel is warped. These wheels are relatively new, so that would be pretty annoying. Nope wheels look straight as a die.
    The sound remained.

Took the bike out in bright daylight. Along with all the other weird noises, the rear wheel is now definitely rubbing against the frame somewhere, but every gap looks big enough when I am standing beside the bike, and the wheel will spin freely.

I get on the bike again and look down. Now the wheel is definitely touching the frame. What the hell is going on? Have I suddenly gained several kilos over lockdown?

Finally I give in and actually look at the bottom bracket... Holy Carp! The snecking chainstay has split from the bottom bracket along the weld line!

Arrrrgh! My bike's a goner. Ma steed is deid!

I'm now not sure how long this state of affairs has been developing. Has the curse of 2020 started taking out inanimate objects too?

In any event, I'm in the market for a new bike. I'd like to be able to visit a shop, but lockdowns put paid to that. Would anyone like to tell me the story of a happy online retail experience they have had to cheer me up and inspire me in my search?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was it steel or aluminium?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Aluminium alloy. The seat stays are carbon fibre. I was always worried that they might come unstuck one day, but it was the Alloy chainstay that went.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could go secondhand (says he who's selling a S/H bike...) if you're not buying on the cycle to work scheme?

though i suspect any bike shop would allow you in on an appointment basis.

you could go secondhand (says he who's selling a S/H bike...) if you're not buying on the cycle to work scheme?

though i suspect any bike shop would allow you in on an appointment basis.

I've been saving up my bike to work scheme allowance for a while, so I'll be going with a new bike, I reckon.

Appointment in a bike shop sounds intriguing. I hadn't considered that possibility. I must investigate what the local shops are offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What bike is it and how old is it? You could buy a new frame set and swap everything over which would be the cheapest option.

• Advertisement

sshh, cheap parts in the adverts forum for the rest of us...

sshh, cheap parts in the adverts forum for the rest of us...

Sneaky!

How old was the bike? And what make and model? Some brands offer an extended warranty which can cover non-crash related failure, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'd nearly put one of those permanently on the turbo

• Advertisement

Bike was Felt road bike. The guts of 10 years old when I think about it. How time flies!

I've sent an email through the Felt website to check warranty. I've got the receipt "somewhere safe", I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Fear not. Bike shops are open, and a new bike is absolutely essential.
    Failing that, if you want something fancy for rock bottom prices then check out https://www.salden.nl/
    I bought a bike from them a couple of years ago for €1500 less than I could have gotten it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No brakes etc needed. Basic build from parts bins, wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Exactly what I done. Got all the groupset second hand on here and have the bike set up exactly same as my road bike. Had bars, saddle and seat post myself. Got cheap bar tape (2 euro) and was ready to go.

Can't fault it really, little heavy but grand for the turbo.

joey100 wrote: »
    Exactly what I done. Got all the groupset second hand on here and have the bike set up exactly same as my road bike. Had bars, saddle and seat post myself. Got cheap bar tape (2 euro) and was ready to go.

Can't fault it really, little heavy but grand for the turbo.
    Yeah tbh I've got a bike on the turbo now that I'd probably sell for 1000€. Has never seen the outside. Could this built up for 300 I'd say, buy a new gravel bike with the savings, and hope the wife doesn't notice anything different.

Sorry for dragging thread off topic though. OP - if 10 years old I'd go for a new bike tbh

Sorry for dragging thread off topic though. OP - if 10 years old I'd go for a new bike tbh

Exactly. I'll be using this post as expert opinion evidence when I present the case for a new bike in front of my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

check_six wrote: »
    Aluminium alloy. The seat stays are carbon fibre. I was always worried that they might come unstuck one day, but it was the Alloy chainstay that went.

Would you not consider welding it if it is just going to be a beater

i suspect the cost of welding the frame - and never trusting it anyway - would be on the same lines as replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I'd give it a go. In fact if the OP decides to get rid and if it is the right size I'd nearly consider buying it for a turbo myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

It’s for reasons like this I hate boards :)
    Damn it, they even still have my size!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Cheers for that. Arrived this morning. As others have said,I’ll build mine up from spare parts for the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

I rode one of those for about 6 months when I was getting a warranty issue sorted on a carbon frame. Very comfortable with no complaints.

I'm thinking of doing the same - as said earlier in the thread, I have a bike worth about 1000€ on my turbo and I have a new titanium gravel on the way so could do with clawing back a bit of money. I like the idea of having one bike almost semi-permanently on the turbo though but I'd like it to be set up with the same gearing as my road bike (11s, 11-32)

I'm wondering if I am better off doing nothing, trying to find an 11s bike with a budget of 350, buying a full bike and swapping over the groupset, or buying this and building it up. I only have things like pedals, bottle cages, garmin mounts and a spare set of cables in the parts box so I think I'd need everything below (leaving out wheels and brake calipers):

Saddle
    Seatpost
    Heatset
    Stem
    Bars
    Bartape
    BB
    Chainset
    Chain
    Front & rear derailleurs

Even buying second hand - I'm hesitating as to whether the saving is worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

I'm thinking of doing the same - as said earlier in the thread, I have a bike worth about 1000€ on my turbo and I have a new titanium gravel on the way so could do with clawing back a bit of money. I like the idea of having one bike almost semi-permanently on the turbo though but I'd like it to be set up with the same gearing as my road bike (11s, 11-32)

I'm wondering if I am better off doing nothing, trying to find an 11s bike with a budget of 350, buying a full bike and swapping over the groupset, or buying this and building it up. I only have things like pedals, bottle cages, garmin mounts and a spare set of cables in the parts box so I think I'd need everything below (leaving out wheels and brake calipers):

Saddle
    Seatpost
    Heatset
    Stem
    Bars
    Bartape
    BB
    Chainset
    Chain
    Front & rear derailleurs

Ever the opportunist! I have Ultegra 6500 levers, deraillers and calipers, deda superleggera 120mm stem I could let you have for 150.

Ever the opportunist! I have Ultegra 6500 levers, deraillers and calipers, deda superleggera 120mm stem I could let you have for 150.
    Thanks, that is very kind of you! I am abroad unfortunately so wouldn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Fear not. Bike shops are open, and a new bike is absolutely essential.
    Failing that, if you want something fancy for rock bottom prices then check out https://www.salden.nl/
    I bought a bike from them a couple of years ago for €1500 less than I could have gotten it anywhere else.

Bought a 2017 Wilier off them during the summer, few hiccups but have a world tour bike for €2000. They've some good offers on either side of that budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Saddle
    Seatpost
    Heatset
    Stem
    Bars
    Bartape
    BB
    Chainset
    Chain
    Front & rear derailleurs

I recently bought a second hand alloy bike with 105 rim as winter bike for about 450 didnt like the finishing kit on it so have changed everything but groupset and wheels. I managed to get carbon seatpost lightish saddle bars and stem all off ebay uk for less than 100€ sent it over with parcel wizard. And then spent another 100 on tape tyres new chain and bb, couldve kept the tyres and bb on if i wanted.

What i would say is that it is probably cheaper to get a full bike and change bits than try and find a cheap used alloy frame (150€) and used 105 5800 groupset (250€ online. Full used bike 105 5800 rim 400€, try and get something with a carbon seatpost also. So in your case you could save 600€

The other nice thing about having a bike permanently on the turbo is really being able to dial in your position, test saddles, bars etc and because its on the turbo weight doesnt matter so if you want to try the arione saddle for example you can get away with the cheapest heaviest version

Saddle
    Seatpost
    Heatset
    Stem
    Bars
    Bartape
    BB
    Chainset
    Chain
    Front & rear derailleurs

In the end I found a B'Twin Triban 540 in nearly new condition for 350 which will do the job nicely.

Only problem is I haven't sold the original bike yet so I'm n+2 for the week

Advertisement