Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday Night Picture Quiz - North County Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh - that's in newbridge demesne, is it? near the donabate end?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lissenhall Medieval Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Lissenhall Bridge, along the old N1 just north of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Beaten by a minute. Supposedly the oldest standing bridge in Co Dublin, you can go underneath it and see the old stonework. I think there's two more bridges built on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well done. The beautiful Lissenhall Bridge- once one of the busiest bridges in the country when it was the main Dublin Belfast road. I'm not sure when it was replaced by the current bridge but I think it was around 1983.

ZGygF2Uh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

That was the first thing I thought but convinced myself it was bigger, common problem :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

Well done. The beautiful Lissenhall Bridge- once one of the busiest bridges in the country when it was the main Dublin Belfast road. I'm not sure when it was replaced by the current bridge but I think it was around 1983.

ZGygF2Uh.jpg

It was definitely bypassed in the late eighties, but was more accessible. I remember stopping there to refill bidons as a kid, probably not a great idea in hindsight.

ian_rush wrote: »
    It was definitely bypassed in the late eighties, but was more accessible. I remember stopping there to refill bidons as a kid, probably not a great idea in hindsight.
    The dual carriageway opened in 1983 but I've been informed that the new bridge was opened several years before the dual carriageway officially opened - possibly in the late 1970's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in the field immediately to the northwest, there's some very obvious crop marks.

• Advertisement

in the field immediately to the northwest, there's some very obvious crop marks.
    They just look like the standard row crop tram lines to me (for spraying cereals).

i was mainly referring to the not quite round one near the bottom left of the field. the darker green marking.

i was mainly referring to the not quite round one near the bottom left of the field. the darker green marking.
    Oops apologies - yes, I see what you mean now!

Incidentally, that area would have been part of the end of the Metro North line. The land and farmyard two fields up from there was purchased for the terminus structures/car parking etc. Will we ever see it?

from years of watching time team - that can be caused by trenches being dug, down into the subsoil, which fills back up again with more fertile soil, so the crops grow greener and stronger.

anyway, a monument challenge around NCD along these lines may be in order, after restrictions lift.

Incidentally, that area would have been part of the end of the Metro North line. The land and farmyard two fields up from there was purchased for the terminus structures/car parking etc. Will we ever see it?
    apparently the latest update from the government, even during covid, was that the intention was to proceed. it'll be going past my house if it does.

Advertisement