Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband in county Wexford

• 06-11-2020 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

moving to just outside Gorey next week and wondering what would be the best deal in terms of broadband? Eir won't service the area I'm moving to. I know Imagine and Regional Broadband service the area but seem pricey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Nalz wrote: »
    Hi folks,

moving to just outside Gorey next week and wondering what would be the best deal in terms of broadband? Eir won't service the area I'm moving to. I know Imagine and Regional Broadband service the area but seem pricey

Been with Regional for 2 years. Can't fault their product or support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Been with Regional for 2 years. Can't fault their product or support

Thanks. It seems rather expensive no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Thanks. It seems rather expensive no?

If you want to PM me your eircode I can let you know which is the best option for you. If you already know that nothing is available other than Wireless, go with Whizzy internet or Rocket Broadband, no question. Whizzy is a bit more expensive than Rocket, but more likely to be available to you if you're around Gorey. Both are locally owned and run from Gorey/Wexford so if there's any issues there's no problem getting in contact with them and getting it fixed (I had a speed issue when it was installed, resolved in minutes over the phone). Do not sign up to imagine. Have a look at the thread about them on here in the last few weeks and you'll see why. Rocket are cheaper and do offer free installation on an 18 month contract. Other than that there's nothing between them in terms of service. I'm with Rocket and can't fault them

Here's a speedtest:
    9881283062.png

It stays like this during the day but can slow to about 20Mb in the evenings. My plan is 50 Down/5 Up and costs €40/Month including 10 hours on the VOIP landline, I transferred my old eir phone number to them.

daraghwal wrote: »
    If you want to PM me your eircode I can let you know which is the best option for you. If you already know that nothing is available other than Wireless, go with Whizzy internet or Rocket Broadband, no question. Whizzy is a bit more expensive than Rocket, but more likely to be available to you if you're around Gorey. Both are locally owned and run from Gorey/Wexford so if there's any issues there's no problem getting in contact with them and getting it fixed (I had a speed issue when it was installed, resolved in minutes over the phone). Do not sign up to imagine. Have a look at the thread about them on here in the last few weeks and you'll see why. Rocket are cheaper and do offer free installation on an 18 month contract. Other than that there's nothing between them in terms of service. I'm with Rocket and can't fault them

Here's a speedtest:
    9881283062.png

It stays like this during the day but can slow to about 20Mb in the evenings. My plan is 50 Down/5 Up and costs €40/Month including 10 hours on the VOIP landline, I transferred my old eir phone number to them.

Thank you I'll pm you now

Thank you I'll pm you now

Yep, Wireless is the only option for you but you're lucky in that two of the best operators are more than likely available to you.

Whizzy Internet: https://whizzyinternet.ie/jet/

or

Rocket Broadband: https://www.rocketbroadband.ie/

I wouldn't go with anyone else. If you need a landline, Rocket are the one to go with. Both very good providers. Mention to them that the eircode is new and might not be in their systems when you ring them up.

If neither of these are available when they come out and do a survey, your best bet is to ask your neighbours what they have. You will get fibre in a few years time under the national broadband plan. You're also in a good area when it comes to phone coverage. Eir seems to be the best looking at this map.

• Advertisement

daraghwal wrote: »
    Yep, Wireless is the only option for you but you're lucky in that two of the best operators are more than likely available to you.

Whizzy Internet: https://whizzyinternet.ie/jet/

or

Rocket Broadband: https://www.rocketbroadband.ie/

I wouldn't go with anyone else. If you need a landline, Rocket are the one to go with. Both very good providers. Mention to them that the eircode is new and might not be in their systems when you ring them up.

If neither of these are available when they come out and do a survey, your best bet is to ask your neighbours what they have. You will get fibre in a few years time under the national broadband plan. You're also in a good area when it comes to phone coverage. Eir seems to be the best looking at this map.

Thanks again.Neighbours have Regional Broadband and imagine. I've only 3 close neighbours, not sure what the third has for internet

Going to go with Rocket

I have fibre with Regional. Excellent people to deal with and consistent speeds. Had Rocket before that for satellite broadband. They were always throttling speeds and when you rang them, their engineers were "servicing the mast" and it would go back up again for a couple of weeks.

I have fibre with Regional. Excellent people to deal with and consistent speeds. Had Rocket before that for satellite broadband. They were always throttling speeds and when you rang them, their engineers were "servicing the mast" and it would go back up again for a couple of weeks.

Regional don't do fibre and Rocket don't do satellite. They all use the same technologies now in the last year or two. They bring fibre to the mast and all use basically the same equipment. They're completely different networks to even 3 years ago.

I have fibre with Regional????

• Advertisement

I have fibre with Regional????

Sorry, meant to say in OPs area. They resell eir's fibre broadband, as do Rocket but it's not available in OPs area unfortunately. They basically all run off the same systems now. Fibre to the mast and beam to whoever can't get fibre to the home, or offer fibre directly to the home by reselling eir/SIRO's products

Grand, I was just relaying my experience of dealing with both companies

Advertisement