Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"She/her" on social media account?

• 06-11-2020 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭

What does "she/her" mean on a social media account? Like this one. She's a woman....so what??:confused:

https://twitter.com/AOC

Comments

In case you mistake her for a bar of soap. More "woke" bolloxology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What does "she/her" mean on a social media account? Like this one. She's a woman....so what??:confused:

They are what is known as “preferred pronouns”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

It.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Assuming the question is being asked in good faith, and not just another excuse to use the word 'woke' over and over again... It's just a very small act of solidarity with trans people, who often put their preferred pronouns in their social media bios to avoid being misgendered.

.anon. wrote: »
    Assuming the question is being asked in good faith, and not just another excuse to use the word 'woke' over and over again... It's just a very small act of solidarity with trans people, who often put their preferred pronouns in their social media bios to avoid being misgendered.

The word "misgendered" belongs on a compost heap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Imagine how precious you must be for this annoy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

J. Marston wrote: »

It’s a little ‘I like trans people more than you’ badge. Pat on the head for all involved.

The word "misgendered" belongs on a compost heap.

Replace it with 'referred to by the wrong gender' if it makes you happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I generally see it as a sign of an idiot.

titan18 wrote: »

I see threads like this as a roll-call of idiots.

• Advertisement

This..

You should misgender her for the craic though..start calling her him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

This site is full of the typical middle aged “PC has gone mad” boomer snowflakes who absolutely, positively refuse to move on with the times.

They’re generally the kind of people who would have been considered progressive about fifteen years ago and cemented their world view then. Now they’re absolutely baffled that they could be considered the dinosaurs. Just like when their parents opposed same sex marriages or their grandparents didn’t like inter racial romantic relationships. Time has moved on and the boomer denizens of Boards.ie have been left behind.

Progress is like a shark, if it doesn’t keep swimming it dies. The fact of the matter is that a small minority of people were born either male or female and personally identify as another gender: either a man or a woman or whatever. This has been happening since antiquity and it just now entering the mainstream. In about twenty years the “I suppose they’ll be identifying as wheelbarrows next” crowd will be just as vilified as homophobes are today. I can guarantee it.

She/her labels in Social Media bios just remove any ambiguity for any readers. That’s all it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

J. Marston wrote: »

Never said it annoyed me. Just curious.

This site is full of the typical middle aged “PC has gone mad” boomer snowflakes who absolutely, positively refuse to move on with the times.

They’re generally the kind of people who would have been considered progressive about fifteen years ago and cemented their world view then. Now they’re absolutely baffled that they could be considered the dinosaurs. Just like when their parents opposed same sex marriages or their grandparents didn’t like inter racial romantic relationships. Time has moved on and the boomer denizens of Boards.ie have been left behind.

Progress is like a shark, if it doesn’t keep swimming it dies. The fact of the matter is that a small minority of people were born either male or female and personally identify as another gender: either a man or a woman or whatever. This has been happening since antiquity and it just now entering the mainstream. In about twenty years the “I suppose they’ll be identifying as wheelbarrows next” crowd will be just as vilified as homophobes are today. I can guarantee it.

She/her labels in Social Media bios just remove any ambiguity for any readers. That’s all it is.

I'm 3 months older than AOC, so I guess she's a middle aged boomer snowflake too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's also not required and when used by someone who is straight just seems, to me, like pandering. Especially when it's a company or someone in power. Just my opinion though.

1200px-RMS_Titanic_3.jpg

He was the finest cruise liner of his day.

Never said it annoyed me. Just curious.

So, now that your curiosity has been sated, how do you feel about this tiny, harmless gesture of solidarity towards a marginalised group of people?

I'm 3 months older than AOC, so I guess she's a middle aged boomer snowflake too

Boomer is a frame of mind.

Every “conservative” movement has its young faction, usually the type still eager to please Mammy and Daddy at thirty.

Boomer is a frame of mind.

Every “conservative” movement has its young faction, usually the type still eager to please Mammy and Daddy at thirty.

My parents are probably centre left whilst I'm centre right tbh

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

This..

You should misgender her for the craic though..start calling her him..

I’m sure no one will mind if you ninja-edit this comment into something less embarrassing for yourself. In fact we’ll probably be grateful and pretend we didn’t notice.

• Advertisement

Wow I don’t care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's a class signifier, shows you are, or least think you are, better than the hoi polloi.

Oink wrote: »
    I’m sure no one will mind if you ninja-edit this comment into something less embarrassing for yourself. In fact we’ll probably be grateful and pretend we didn’t notice.

You're assuming these people are capable of finding their own pig-ignorance embarrassing.

Danzy wrote: »
    It's a class signifier, shows you are, or least think you are, better than the hoi polloi.

Please explain exactly how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

She/ite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And all under the same roof.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Or maybe "referred to as the correct gender, but I don't like it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ah, 'virtue signalling'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

An Ri rua wrote: »
    She/ite

Sun/ni

• Advertisement

Ambiguity? Progress is like sharks? Boomer snowflakes?

Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You're assuming these people are capable of finding their own pig-ignorance embarrassing.

More than a bit ignorant to say pig ignorant to an oink.. in fairness.

She/he/it/piggy has feelings you know.

And btw as a vegan, I find your denigration of animals appalling. Low minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Wow I don’t care

tenor.gif

Ah, 'virtue signalling'

Please explain how.

There always tends to be a lot of rapid fire “it sounded funnier in my head” lame one liners from people in these threads about trans people. Things to do with virtue signalling or accusations of elitism. Just once I would love to see someone flesh their point out instead of trying to sound like the wry evil dog in Dilbert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Unfortunately.with the election of Biden in the US more people globally are going to become emboldened to constantly say

"Excuse me, did you just assume my gender?"

My view is one where we all have to reflect on how we treat others, whether it's the workplace, the home, your family, or even someone from the next parish if you're one of those ardent GAA devotees loyal to your area. Absolutely be nice to people. Respect people as human beings no matter creed,. colour, sexual orientation, weight, height, culture, ability, disability. And choose hope over despair.

But these militant left wing ideologues who seek to compel your language or else you'll be destroyed.. they can go get fxcked. Demand that I be "inclusive" otherwise I will be excluded? Tell me what to think? Force coerced group think down my throat? Abso-bloody-lutely not.

The whole place is gone sick if you ask me, but the battle is not over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thats AOC yep. Def sees herself as above others.... Ffs.

• Advertisement

Please explain how.

There always tends to be a lot of rapid fire “it sounded funnier in my head” lame one liners from people in these threads about trans people. Things to do with virtue signalling or accusations of elitism. Just once I would love to see someone flesh their point out instead of trying to sound like the wry evil dog in Dilbert.

The thread is not about trans people though, it’s about people who aren’t trans.

It's also not required and when used by someone who is straight just seems, to me, like pandering. Especially when it's a company or someone in power. Just my opinion though.

Yes. I don't get the need for it at all. I'm a woman so why do I need to state that on Twitter or wherever.

Or maybe "referred to as the correct gender, but I don't like it"

What's the opposite of 'virtue signalling'? People on this thread tripping over each other to show how unpleasant they can be towards a minority group.

Yes. I don't get the need for it at all. I'm a woman so why do I need to state that on Twitter or wherever.

Do you get the concept of solidarity?

myshirt wrote: »
    Unfortunately.with the election of Biden in the US more people globally are going to become emboldened to constantly say

"Excuse me, did you just assume my gender?"

My view is one where we all have to reflect on how we treat others, whether it's the workplace, the home, your family, or even someone from the next parish. Absolutely be nice to people. Respect people as human beings no matter creed,. colour, sexual orientation, weight, height, culture, ability, disability. And choose hope over despair.

But these militant left wing ideologues who seek to compel your language or else you'll be destroyed.. they can go get fxcked. Demand that I be "inclusive" otherwise I will be excluded? Tell me what to think? Force coerced group think down my throat? Abso-bloody-lutely not.

The whole place is gone sick if you ask me, but the battle is not over.

A Jordan Peterson tribute act, down to the folksy mild profanities. For someone so opposed to group-think you’re very quick to adopt someone else’s entire persona.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah, it's an act of solidarity that we do this as a feck you to the anti trans people.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

I would like some solidarity shown to all those negatively impacted/struggling with
    *insert issue here* and it can be done by a banner or reference in your social media.

Please explain how.

Ignoring the last part of your paragraph as I am unfamiliar with Dilbert, and assuming you are unaware of how painfully cringe inducing it is to announce your preferred pronouns, I can say that the vast majority of people don't care about your pronouns, preferred or otherwise.

You may as well be putting "the Dunne - tayto/Lyons" in your bio. Especially "cis" people (ugh what a ****ing phrase) putting their pronouns? It's nonsensical and only done by people who want to tell other people that they are doing it because they know other people are different and they want to let them know that they don't see them as different.

What i see frequently too is the attitude of it's OK to be gay, but don't use LGBT terminology, because it's an ideology.

Ok, we can be ourselves, but not politically organise against your oppression.

Sounds more like keep in your home nonsense.

Would you not think it is regressive though? Just imagine if in the near future 1% of people were born with green hair. You are one of them and are anti green hair discrimination. You are at a party and everyone is ‘showing their solidarity’ by saying ‘Hi, I’m Jack and I don’t have green hair but I support people who have green hair’, ‘Hi, I’m Sarah and I don’t have green hair, but I support people who have green hair’, ‘Hi, I’m Tony and I was born with green hair but I colour it brown’. Would you not end up totally paranoid and undermined by the feeling that having green hair is this massive social issue?

A Jordan Peterson tribute act, down to the folksy mild profanities. For someone so opposed to group-think you’re very quick to adopt someone else’s entire persona.

A pro trans activist complaining that someone has taken on a different persona?

Beautifully ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Do you understand that not everyone jumps aboard the bandwagon?

I'm sure there are plenty like me, we don't care what you identify as, who you want to ride, etc. We just don't care. We hope trans people get equal rights, but equal being the important word.

As I said, I feel straight people who do this pronoun stuff are pandering, especially those in power, as it appears to be done just to get the likes or votes for them to get more important/more power.

I'm straight, and I don't feel the need to tell anyone that. I refuse to be labelled "cis" as it's not needed.

Anyway, who's going to stand with me for the fight against discrimination against gingers? No one? What about solidarity? Oh, it only applies to the current popular cries for equality (which usually evolves into more equal than others).

Also, if we were to stand in solidarity to every single movement, there'd be no room tweets or whatever as it would all be taken up with acronyms and pandering.

Again, just my opinion.

Edit: @MoonUnit, you could have just used the real life example of ginger hair! :pac:

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Would you not think it is regressive though? Just imagine if in the near future 1% of people were born with green hair. You are one of them and are anti green hair discrimination. You are at a party and everyone is ‘showing their solidarity’ by saying ‘Hi, I’m Jack and I don’t have green hair but I support people who have green hair’, ‘Hi, I’m Sarah and I don’t have green hair, but I support people who have green hair’, ‘Hi, I’m Tony and I was born with green hair but I colour it brown’. Would you not end up totally paranoid and undermined by the feeling that having green hair is this massive social issue?

What?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What i see frequently too is the attitude of it's OK to be gay, but don't use LGBT terminology, because it's an ideology.

Ok, we can be ourselves, but not politically organise against your oppression.

Sounds more like keep in your home nonsense.

Oppression?

Excuse me?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement