Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"She/her" on social media account?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ignoring the last part of your paragraph as I am unfamiliar with Dilbert, and assuming you are unaware of how painfully cringe inducing it is to announce your preferred pronouns, I can say that the vast majority of people don't care about your pronouns, preferred or otherwise.

You may as well be putting "the Dunne - tayto/Lyons" in your bio. Especially "cis" people (ugh what a ****ing phrase) putting their pronouns? It's nonsensical and only done by people who want to tell other people that they are doing it because they know other people are different and they want to let them know that they don't see them as different.

because they know other people are different and they want to let them know that they don't see them as different.

That's a really good thing, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

because they know other people are different and they want to let them know that they don't see them as different.
    By constantly reminding them they are different, every single day.

Oppression?

Excuse me?

You know, the way gay couples weren't allowed to adopt, or marry, or have both names on a birth cert as parents.

The way in some countries its still illegal.

That oppression.

That's a really good thing, right?

No.

It's a lie.

By constantly reminding them they are different, every single day.

By acknowledging it is fine to describe yourself as you.

Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pronouns are great in a bio, perfect way to know you're better off ignoring the retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Do you understand that not everyone jumps aboard the bandwagon?

I'm sure there are plenty like me, we don't care what you identify as, who you want to ride, etc. We just don't care. We hope trans people get equal rights, but equal being the important word.

As I said, I feel straight people who do this pronoun stuff are pandering, especially those in power, as it appears to be done just to get the likes or votes for them to get more important/more power.

I'm straight, and I don't feel the need to tell anyone that. I refuse to be labelled "cis" as it's not needed.

Anyway, who's going to stand with me for the fight against discrimination against gingers? No one? What about solidarity? Oh, it only applies to the current popular cries for equality (which usually evolves into more equal than others).

Also, if we were to stand in solidarity to every single movement, there'd be no room tweets or whatever as it would all be taken up with acronyms and pandering.

Again, just my opinion.

Edit: @MoonUnit, you could have just used the real life example of ginger hair! :pac:

What extra rights are you worried about trans people having? Name one specific right or entitlement that a trans person has actively campaigned for that you can never have because you aren’t trans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ignoring the last part of your paragraph as I am unfamiliar with Dilbert, and assuming you are unaware of how painfully cringe inducing it is to announce your preferred pronouns, I can say that the vast majority of people don't care about your pronouns, preferred or otherwise.

You may as well be putting "the Dunne - tayto/Lyons" in your bio. Especially "cis" people (ugh what a ****ing phrase) putting their pronouns? It's nonsensical and only done by people who want to tell other people that they are doing it because they know other people are different and they want to let them know that they don't see them as different.

Ya, if you're not going to treat people differently by their gender, why should you care what someone's gender is. Only reason to tell people explicitly what your gender is is if you expect to be treated differently cos of it which likely means you treat people different cos of it

You know, the way gay couples weren't allowed to adopt, or marry, or have both names on a birth cert as parents.

The way in some countries its still illegal.

That oppression.

Oh the one that was overwhelming overturned by the citizens in this country to ensure there wasn't oppression?

Yeah that one.

I suppose you are anti muslim though? Considering their religion still is very anti gay?

Or are you ok with them?

• Advertisement

No.

It's a lie.

I'll treat people as they treat me. If that means using they instead of her... The fook do I care?

What the hell is wrong with people that they don't just say 'ok' and get on with their lives?

You have to have some level of hatred in you to pitch a battle over this stuff.

Varik wrote: »
    Pronouns are great in a bio, perfect way to know you're better off ignoring the retard.

Posts like thus are great. Let you know you're better off ignoring horrid hate filled foul mouthed creatures like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I consider it virtue signaling, which I consider annoying. However, after reading some comments here I see that it may be done in earnest and I may take a more favourable view now.

Generally I think the onus is on the trans individual not to take offense if somebody makes an honest mistake with their gender, but that's slightly off point. If people what to use the disambiguation, that's their choice.

Separately I find it handy when dealing with emails from people in India. I haven't a clue about the gender of their names and it's a good heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Real bang of “Current Affairs” off this thread.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What extra rights are you worried about trans people having? Name one specific right or entitlement that a trans person has actively campaigned for that you can never have because you aren’t trans.

Don't think I said rights, I said equality. And as we have proven as a country, equality doesn't mean equal. Look at the ethnic status of travellers given in this country. It has made them basically untouchable. That's what I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It does seem a bit silly if it's obvious that you are a woman but at the same time what harm. If it is ambiguous then you avoid hurting people's feelings.

So if everyone does it then for the people that are ambiguous it's easier for them to do it and I don't say him instead of her and insult someone. I wouldn't like to cause offence to someone unintentionally so if it is easier then I suppose why not.

And I would like to point out some of us are X er snowflakes not boomer snowflakes. Not everyone who isn't a millennial is a boomer. How offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oppression?

Excuse me?

Yeah. Oppression. You know, how gay people were oppressed until very recently in this country, and still are in lots of other countries.

Oppressed. Made illegal. Shunned. Beaten up. Ostracised. History erased. Political and social organisation banned.

Real bang of “Current Affairs” off this thread.

You honestly don't have to read it.

We could do with more quotation marks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

I'll treat people as they treat me. If that means using they instead of her... The fook do I care?

What the hell is wrong with people that they don't just say 'ok' and get on with their lives?

You have to have some level of hatred in you to pitch a battle over this stuff.
    It's not hatred, it's love - love of language, science, biology - truth!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thread has descended into snarkiness, name calling and OT chat, closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement