Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-Built Gaming PC for young teens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Bumping for OP and to note I'll be back either this evening or tomorrow moring to do a build / look or a prebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For a few yoyos I'd bump the stealth cooler for the 120mm AiO.

I'd get 3200 Mhz RAM.

Swap the 240 GB SATA SSD for a much faster, NVME 256 GB SSD (practically speaking, both have the same storage iirc) for a few extra bucks, it will keep the computer feeling fast for far longer. Still kinda small for gaming storage, which if your game is installed on an NVME will experience good performance in newer games in the future, say.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare can have an install size of over 250 GB :eek:

Frustratingly this PC builder could just let you pick the +Wifi version of the motherboards and take the guesswork out of that decision.

My suggestion on a prebuilt would be something like this:

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-mb520-argb-ryzen-5-3600-nvidia-rtx-2070-super-16gb-ram-desktop-gaming-pc.html

With the following changes:

Case: P400 - only because I have experience with it and it's a good case
    Motherboard: MSI B550M Bazooka
    GPU: RTX 2060 Dual Mini - don't like that it's a mini but it's the only one they offer on it.
    PSU: Corsair CV650
    CPU: 3600 6 core
    Memory: 16GB 3600MHz
    Primary 'Hard Drive': Intel 665P 1TB NVME
    Wifi Card: 1200Mbps Internal
    Add a keyboard and mouse to taste.
    Knock off the internet security bloatware.

£931.82

Let me take a look at configing the one you linked and see if I can get anything cheaper. There are a few thing on that build I wouldn't do myself if building, but would you be comfortable doing a build?

Edit: Yeah could go with the one you linked with a similar spec but just the 1660 Super for £826 which is a bit more on budget.

I'm not the man to ask about monitors as I'm fine with 60Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

My suggestion on a prebuilt would be something like this:

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-mb520-argb-ryzen-5-3600-nvidia-rtx-2070-super-16gb-ram-desktop-gaming-pc.html

With the following changes:

Case: P400 - only because I have experience with it and it's a good case
    Motherboard: MSI B550M Bazooka
    GPU: RTX 2060 Dual Mini - don't like that it's a mini but it's the only one they offer on it.
    PSU: Corsair CV650
    CPU: 3600 6 core
    Memory: 16GB 3600MHz
    Primary 'Hard Drive': Intel 665P 1TB NVME
    Wifi Card: 1200Mbps Internal
    Add a keyboard and mouse to taste.
    Knock off the internet security bloatware.

£931.82

Let me take a look at configing the one you linked and see if I can get anything cheaper. There are a few thing on that build I wouldn't do myself if building, but would you be comfortable doing a build?

Edit: Yeah could go with the one you linked with a similar spec but just the 1660 Super for £826 which is a bit more on budget.

I'm not the man to ask about monitors as I'm fine with 60Hz.

Thanks a milion for the help. I'm not sure about the build TBH. I think I'd manage it but keeping it out of sight of the kids would be nigh on impossible.

Thanks to the suggstion from Samuel, I've decided to go with a self-build. I've read back over several pages worth of threads and all of the items below have been suggested for builds.

The main problem I have is that I need to bring this down to <€800 so that I can throw a monitor, mouse and keyboard with it for around the €1000 mark.

Would love to get some feedback on the list and suggestions on where I could reduce cost. I'm ignoring the prices from PCpartpicker and looking at Amazon.

Thanks!

Component Selection Price

CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $268.48

Motherboard
    MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $107.89

Memory
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $68.99

Storage
    Kingston KC600 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $43.00

Video Card
    MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $209.19

Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case $98.98

Power Supply
    Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    $124.99

Total: $921.52
    Component Selection Price
    CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $268.48
    Motherboard

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $107.89
    Memory

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $68.99
    Storage

Kingston KC600 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $43.00
    Video Card

MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $209.19
    Case

Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case $98.98
    Power Supply

Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $124.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The RX580 is a lot slower than the GTX1660 Super.

You would definitely need more than 250GB of HDD space.

PSU is very, very overkill for a build of this budget.

There is room to get a cheaper, basic B450M board.

Ryzen 3600 can be changed to either much cheaper Ryzen 2600 or Ryzen 3100. Ryzen 2600 is also a six-core processor but slower per-core. 3100 has less cores but is faster per core. For standard 1080P or 4K gaming both are good.

The only spots either would fall noticeably behind the 3600 right now would be high refresh gaming which I doubt your kids will be missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

You can go to https://uk.pocpartpicker.com and set it to only show Amazon which I'm guessing is what you want really? I stuck with your cpu/board/case choices.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£180.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£66.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£69.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£95.37 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (£212.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T4E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£25.44 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: iiyama G-MASTER BLACK HAWK 24.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor (£104.00)
    Total: £899.06

Give or take a €1 that's €1010 without the keyboard and mouse but including the 1660 Super, a 75Hz freesync (gsync compatible) monitor with speakers (you mentioned speakers earlier), a tp-link dual-band internal wifi card (do you need it? can you use powerline adapters instead or an ethernet cable? What sort of wifi does your router have?), faster ram and a 1TB M.2 nvme drive. I've gone with the non-modular TXM power supply which is debatably still a little bit of overkill but probably what I'd go with. Likewise the P400A Digital would be another easy choice to save money, especially when you are sticking in a micro-atx board. Obviously dropping back to the 500GB version of the ssd would also give you some more to play with for the keyboard/mouse/powerline/whatever other changes you might want to make.

The cpu is out of stock but due on Saturday. The monitor is a "very good" one from Amazon Warehouse as I got annoyed with pcpartpicker misleading me on what was actually available sanely from Amazon right now so it might be gone already or soon. You initially said you might manage to stretch to €1200 so I didn't try and cut corners to leave more keyboard/mouse money.

Homelander wrote: »
    The RX580 is a lot slower than the GTX1660 Super.

You would definitely need more than 250GB of HDD space.

PSU is very, very overkill for a build of this budget.

There is room to get a cheaper, basic B450M board.

Ryzen 3600 can be changed to either much cheaper Ryzen 2600 or Ryzen 3100. Ryzen 2600 is also a six-core processor but slower per-core. 3100 has less cores but is faster per core. For standard 1080P or 4K gaming both are good.

The only spots either would fall noticeably behind the 3600 right now would be high refresh gaming which I doubt your kids will be missing.

Thanks, I've gone with the Ryzen 2600 - you're right, the kids are probably not (yet) at the stage where they'll miss that extra performance.
    minitrue wrote: »
    You can go to https://uk.pocpartpicker.com and set it to only show Amazon which I'm guessing is what you want really? I stuck with your cpu/board/case choices.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£180.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£66.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£69.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£95.37 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (£212.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T4E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£25.44 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: iiyama G-MASTER BLACK HAWK 24.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor (£104.00)
    Total: £899.06

Give or take a €1 that's €1010 without the keyboard and mouse but including the 1660 Super, a 75Hz freesync (gsync compatible) monitor with speakers (you mentioned speakers earlier), a tp-link dual-band internal wifi card (do you need it? can you use powerline adapters instead or an ethernet cable? What sort of wifi does your router have?), faster ram and a 1TB M.2 nvme drive. I've gone with the non-modular TXM power supply which is debatably still a little bit of overkill but probably what I'd go with. Likewise the P400A Digital would be another easy choice to save money, especially when you are sticking in a micro-atx board. Obviously dropping back to the 500GB version of the ssd would also give you some more to play with for the keyboard/mouse/powerline/whatever other changes you might want to make.

The cpu is out of stock but due on Saturday. The monitor is a "very good" one from Amazon Warehouse as I got annoyed with pcpartpicker misleading me on what was actually available sanely from Amazon right now so it might be gone already or soon. You initially said you might manage to stretch to €1200 so I didn't try and cut corners to leave more keyboard/mouse money.

Really appreciate your help. The PC will be located beside my Vodafone router so I guess I can just use an ethernet cable.

I'm struggling to identify a suitable case. If the P400A digital is too much, can you recommend an alternative? I'm guessing that mid-tower is the right size to be going with?

Thanks!

Here's the latest list. CPU in stock on Amazon in a few days. Will have to look elsewhere for the power supply and the case.

Planning to order tomorrow all going well ... :)

Motherboard
    MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £66.98

Memory
    Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory £69.59

Storage
    Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £95.37

Video Card
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card £263.95

Power Supply
    Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply £90.21

Monitor
    iiyama G-MASTER BLACK HAWK 24.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor £119.99

The following items could not be found at Amazon UK or are currently out of stock:

CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £128.99

Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case £69.99

Seems grand but that is really expensive for a 1660 Super, I wouldn't pay that much for one to be honest.

You can get a 5600XT for that price which is decently faster.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Radeon-GDDR6-Express-1185MHz/dp/B083YLB97V/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=5600+xt&qid=1605739117&quartzVehicle=107-1383&replacementKeywords=5600&sr=8-2

I also wouldn't spend that much on a PSU for that budget, it's a bit overkill.

• Advertisement

Seems grand but that is really expensive for a 1660 Super, I wouldn't pay that much for one to be honest.

You can get a 5600XT for that price which is decently faster.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Radeon-GDDR6-Express-1185MHz/dp/B083YLB97V/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=5600+xt&qid=1605739117&quartzVehicle=107-1383&replacementKeywords=5600&sr=8-2

I also wouldn't spend that much on a PSU for that budget, it's a bit overkill.

The cheapest 1660 Super I can see on Amazon is £233 - will search around to see if I can find anything less.

Part Picker is estimating the power usage at 274W. Any recommendations on how much wattage to aim for and what would be a solid buy at that level? I'm struggling to get my head around the PSU options.

What you want is a decent quality 500W really. Around the £50 mark.

I would either go for a cheaper GTX1660 Super or get the 5600XT at the same price. Keep in mind new cards will be out in a month or two that'll kill the value of either, but not much you can do when buying this side of Christmas. You are basically buying at the end of one cycle and start of a new one.

To be honest, of light of their age, and the games they will be playing - this RX570 at £150 would fit the bill? Farming Simulator wouldn't even break a sweat on this card.

GTX1660 Super would be more geared at playing the latest Battlefield and Call of Duty AAA type titles at ultra settings.

Got it. This EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-K3, Black seems to fit the bill at £55 including delivery?
    Keep in mind new cards will be out in a month or two that'll kill the value of either, but not much you can do when buying this side of Christmas. You are basically buying at the end of one cycle and start of a new one.

Yeah, this seems like a poor time to be purchasing, but needs must!
    I would either go for a cheaper GTX1660 Super or get the 5600XT at the same price.

To be honest, of light of their age, and the games they will be playing - this RX570 at £150 would fit the bill? Farming Simulator wouldn't even break a sweat on this card.

GTX1660 Super would be more geared at playing the latest Battlefield and Call of Duty AAA type titles at ultra settings.

Yeah, I see your point. For the next 3 years, they are unlikely to be pushing the edge with their gaming needs, so I'm going to take your advice.

If you were buying a few bits from the likes of somewhere like OCUK or Scan rather than Amazon, you have access to loads of PSU's.

Whatever the reason, Amazon never have much stock anymore apart from high-end and very low-end/rubbish end.

Places like Scan or OCUK also have way better range of decent price budget range cases, odd time on graphics cards.

Usually Amazon are unbeatable on RAM or motherboards/processors (and free postage is great), but their cases, power supplies and graphics cards aren't always the best value.

EG this is a good deal.

If you were buying a few bits from the likes of somewhere like OCUK or Scan rather than Amazon, you have access to loads of PSU's.

Whatever the reason, Amazon never have much stock anymore apart from high-end and very low-end/rubbish end.

Places like Scan or OCUK also have way better range of decent price budget range cases, odd time on graphics cards.

Usually Amazon are unbeatable on RAM or motherboards/processors (and free postage is great), but their cases, power supplies and graphics cards aren't always the best value.

EG this is a good deal.

Had a look there and with the ~€30 delivery charge, it's not worth going to OCUK just for the PSU. I've gone with the one you've linked to but from Amazon.

Can't thank you and everyone else enough for the help. Much appreciated.

Will 3600 datarate RAM work with a 2600?

Will 3600 datarate RAM work with a 2600?

:eek::eek::eek:

Hopefully someone can answer (although I've already ordered).

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

3600 ram on a amd 2600 and a b450 board is pushing it a little bit..
    you will probably have to use the DRAM calculator to set the timings and voltages manually..
    It was a thing a while back that 3600mhz ram could de stablilize your b45o motherboard but i would assume that would have been fixed by now with bios updates.
    TLDR..You should be fine..worst comes to the worst you could just run it as 3200mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Exactly never any harm getting higher speeds.

If it's 3600/CL16 you could probably set it to 3200/CL14.

Both settings perform almost identical regardless of the processor.

Might have to tighten up some other timings as well. I hate fiddling with RAM though. You can corrupt your OS.

Best thing to do with ram overclocking/timing tuning is put a fresh install of windows or even Linux on a drive and use that to check stability rather than your main OS install or use a usb memory checking program before you go near the OS.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    3600 ram on a amd 2600 and a b450 board is pushing it a little bit..
    you will probably have to use the DRAM calculator to set the timings and voltages manually..
    It was a thing a while back that 3600mhz ram could de stablilize your b45o motherboard but i would assume that would have been fixed by now with bios updates.
    TLDR..You should be fine..worst comes to the worst you could just run it as 3200mhz
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Exactly never any harm getting higher speeds.

If it's 3600/CL16 you could probably set it to 3200/CL14.

Both settings perform almost identical regardless of the processor.

Might have to tighten up some other timings as well. I hate fiddling with RAM though. You can corrupt your OS.

Best thing to do with ram overclocking/timing tuning is put a fresh install of windows or even Linux on a drive and use that to check stability rather than your main OS install or use a usb memory checking program before you go near the OS.

I genuinely have not idea what any of this means :o

I managed to cancel the RAM part of the order as it hadn't shipped yet. So, can anyone tell me the optimum memory to go with the the CPU and MOBO that I've ordered?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Only issues with higher speeds is having to set it manually rather than just loading the XMP profile. That Crucial stuff is good RAM but only comes with one profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

I would either go for a cheaper GTX1660 Super or get the 5600XT at the same price. Keep in mind new cards will be out in a month or two that'll kill the value of either, but not much you can do when buying this side of Christmas. You are basically buying at the end of one cycle and start of a new one.

Any point spending that much on 1660 super right now?

Better to buy a cheaper 1650 and keep that for a while until new mid range cards to rival the consoles come out?

rtx3060/ rx6700?

To be fair if you read the thread I also recommended that he get an RX570 for £150 for that reason. And because they are young teenagers, they're not going to be playing the latest AAA games at blistering settings.

RAM wise, there was zero need to cancel it. No offence to people on this thread, but this forum tends to go way overboard with the jargon at times as if everyone's a mad enthusiast. The 3600Mhz ram you chose would work 100% fine on your board.

It would be 2133mhz by default in the bios. Even leaving this unchanged would be fine, but faster ram = better performance. While 3600mhz ram might not be stable if you enable that setting, 3000/3200mhz would've been perfectly fine.

So, there really was zero need to cancel.

Well this is what is winging its way to me over the next few weeks. Looking forward to the building bit now :)

Item Spec
    Graphics Card / GPU ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 570 OC Edition 8 GB GDDR5, 1310 Mhz, AURA Sync RGB Lighting PCI Express 3.0 Gaming Graphics Card (ROG-STRIX-RX570-O8G-GAMING) £166.36
    Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £125.00
    Monitor iiyama G-MASTER BLACK HAWK 24.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor £131.07
    Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £119.95
    Power Supply / PSU Kolink Enclave 500W Modular Power Supply 80 Plus Gold £65.39
    Memory HyperX FURY Black HX432C16FB3K2/16 Memory 16 GB Kit*(2 x 8 GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM1Rx8 £53.42
    Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £67.54
    Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow, Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Smart Gaming Case, Black £66.49
    £795.22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

RMDrive wrote: »
    Well this is what is winging its way to me over the next few weeks. Looking forward to the building bit now :)

Not sure if this is an xmas present but I built my first PC at Christmas when I was 12.
    Might be fun to wrap the individual components and have them take turns to open them and for you to explain to them a bit about what each one does (if they don't know already) and for them to help with the build.

Enjoy anyway!

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Not sure if this is an xmas present but I built my first PC at Christmas when I was 12.
    Might be fun to wrap the individual components and have them take turns to open them and for you to explain to them a bit about what each one does (if they don't know already) and for them to help with the build.

Enjoy anyway!

Yeah, that's the plan. So Christmas Day will either be a Hallmark-style amazing day of laughs and cheer, or a nighmare of technical incompetence! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

RMDrive wrote: »

Item Spec
    Graphics Card / GPU ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 570 OC Edition 8 GB GDDR5, 1310 Mhz, AURA Sync RGB Lighting PCI Express 3.0 Gaming Graphics Card (ROG-STRIX-RX570-O8G-GAMING) £166.36
    Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £125.00
    Monitor iiyama G-MASTER BLACK HAWK 24.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor £131.07
    Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £119.95
    Power Supply / PSU Kolink Enclave 500W Modular Power Supply 80 Plus Gold £65.39
    Memory HyperX FURY Black HX432C16FB3K2/16 Memory 16 GB Kit*(2 x 8 GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM1Rx8 £53.42
    Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £67.54
    Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow, Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Smart Gaming Case, Black £66.49
    £795.22

Looks great!! Hopefully they're alright with sharing or you'll be adding another build to the collection in the not too distant future!

I wish I had the chance to build a pc at that age!

Amazon have delivered all of the components ... except for the the GPU :eek:

I'm still hoping that it will arrive in the next few days (it is supposed to be with An Post but there's nothing showing in their tracking), but just in case, is there a shop in Ireland that would sell the same item or something similar??

This is what I have on order:
    ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 570 OC Edition 8 GB GDDR5, 1310 Mhz, AURA Sync RGB Lighting PCI Express 3.0 Gaming Graphics Card (ROG-STRIX-RX570-O8G-GAMING)

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Not really, open to correction but getting PC components from a shop is quite difficult. Adverts but prices are mental.

Advertisement