Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries

Options
  • 07-11-2020 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Any thoughts on the Shenick area of sherries? Also outside of the actual main st, what areas would people recommend. We're looking to move. requirements are walking distance to the town, train and beach.

I'm drawn to the main st area but the wife wants a bigger garden and unless you have mega bucks that ain't going to happen so we're now looking at the surrounding neighbourhoods.

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Any thoughts on the Shenick area of sherries? Also outside of the actual main st, what areas would people recommend. We're looking to move. requirements are walking distance to the town, train and beach.

I'm drawn to the main st area but the wife wants a bigger garden and unless you have mega bucks that ain't going to happen so we're now looking at the surrounding neighbourhoods.

J

A hopeful bump!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We are resident down the road.Suggest you post in the Dublin County North forum?You might get more responses.Shenick is a very nice area though.Do you have kids, would be my next question?I get the impression the main streets areas are great for people up to a certain point and then kids come and they seem to move on a bit.In which case your wife is very correct (have kids myself - garden definitely needed).

shesty wrote: »
    We are resident down the road.Suggest you post in the Dublin County North forum?You might get more responses.Shenick is a very nice area though.Do you have kids, would be my next question?I get the impression the main streets areas are great for people up to a certain point and then kids come and they seem to move on a bit.In which case your wife is very correct (have kids myself - garden definitely needed).

Thanks for replying. Yes we have small toddlers. I guess I'm probably not taking that into account enough. I love the idea of being in the town and the amenities being literally on the doorstep but i guess Shenick isn't that far a walk. It's close to the train which is bonus given i work in the city centre.

Alot of the houses for sale in Shenick need serious renovation, which I'm ok with but my concern is resale value. 450-500k plus 250k of works. I can never see us getting that back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Unlikely, but a house to live in for life.Shenick is no distance from the town Jon, seriously, I wouldn't let that be too big an issue.The kids get bigger in the blink of an eye, and it becomes a very easy 20 min walk to schools or whatever from there.Also you are within walking/cycling distance of the station there, saves you having to drive and park because the parking is mainly along the Ballast Pit road and can get very busy.Further, the bus stop is right there at the Shenick road to the beach.It is the desirable part of town for most people :-)The town streets are nice but you are reliant on the street parking for your cars, so you need a permit for that, and it gets very busy in the summer or if a big funeral is in the church (which is quite often) -parking can be hard to find.

Apologies now, these are just my opinions, but based on years of observing the town and knowing people living there (heading out the door to grab coffee there as I speak :-) ). Some of the town houses are really lovely but we have small kids and we wouldn't move into them as they just wouldn't suit our lives with the kids really.

Sorry I should add - Kelly's Bay seems to be a generally nice enough estate from what I know of it, houses are good.I don't think there are many areas to avoid in Skerries, although I don't love the Barnageeragh area myself, but that is personal taste.Also I don't think you would put 250k of work into one of the Shenick houses....I suspect 100-150k of work would probably get you an excellent house there.

Thanks this is super helpful! We're also looking at houses on the Dublin road (close to the train station).

Skerries is odd, alot of houses on the market months, if not years for some but very little price drops. Houses sales seem to go slowly when north of 600k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'd cousins who grew up in Shenick, didn't live there myself but spent loads and loads of time there as a kid. Remember it as a nice area, loads of families around, when you're young it feels a long way to town but it really isn't, there's a local shop etc. I don't think you'd have any regrets about it tbh.

when you're young it feels a long way to town but it really isn't, there's a local shop etc. I don't think you'd have any regrets about it tbh.

Funny you should say that. The in-laws from a nearby area would say "sure shenick isn't even in Skerries" when i mentioned it to them. I guess that's their view of Shenick from growing up near Skerries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

jon1981 wrote: »
    Funny you should say that. The in-laws from a nearby area would say "sure shenick isn't even in Skerries" when i mentioned it to them. I guess that's their view of Shenick from growing up near Skerries too.

Sounds like a bit of snobbery tbh, it's about a 1km walk from the main street.

Advertisement