Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three's 5G SIM in a broadband modem?

• 07-11-2020 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I live just outside the fiber area and the broadband intervention plan has us flagged as "due for site survey" for over a year now, so we have to resort to mobile broadband, but I've really had it in a busy house with subpar download speeds.

Three has 5G coverage in my area, so I was wondering, what If I was to get their SIM with the 5G addon and pop it into a 5G supported modem? Would that work for making a 5G home network, or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do they have coverage or does the map say they have coverage? Very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rinleezz

ED E wrote: »
    Do they have coverage or does the map say they have coverage? Very different things.

According to Ookla's 5G map, they do. How else would I find out? I would contact them and ask them, but they would most likely tell me to just look at their map anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Orebro

rinleezz wrote: »
    I live just outside the fiber area and the broadband intervention plan has us flagged as "due for site survey" for over a year now, so we have to resort to mobile broadband, but I've really had it in a busy house with subpar download speeds.

Three has 5G coverage in my area, so I was wondering, what If I was to get their SIM with the 5G addon and pop it into a 5G supported modem? Would that work for making a 5G home network, or am I missing something?

Not sure if they've made 5G available to their broadband plans yet but I wouldn't worry too much about that - if you can get a decent 4G signal then you could get good download speeds - their network supports LTE+ also and you may get lucky as alot of 4G routers support that. Is anyone in the house on Three? If so they could run some speed tests using the Speedtest app to see what kind of connection you're getting.

Getting a 5G router may also be a problem, I think there are only one or two models available at the moment and they are super expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

According to Ookla's 5G map, they do. How else would I find out? I would contact them and ask them, but they would most likely tell me to just look at their map anyway.

20e SIM and a 5G handset.

Orebro wrote: »
    Not sure if they've made 5G available to their broadband plans yet but I wouldn't worry too much about that - if you can get a decent 4G signal then you could get good download speeds - their network supports LTE+ also and you may get lucky as alot of 4G routers support that. Is anyone in the house on Three? If so they could run some speed tests using the Speedtest app to see what kind of connection you're getting.

Getting a 5G router may also be a problem, I think there are only one or two models available at the moment and they are super expensive.

Oh, I'm already on 4g with Three. It's a busy house and the bandwidth just isn't sufficient at times, which is frustrating.

I actually contacted Three today and I was told that they are rolling out 5G broadband by the end of the month. Seeing how my contract expired a long time ago and I'm looking for new options, I'm definitely looking forward to this.

• Advertisement

rounders wrote: »

I don't understand how that map even works. It only shows coverage directly on roads? Either way, I live more or less 2 kilometers away from a "purple road".

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rounders

I don't understand how that map even works. It only shows coverage directly on roads?

It's crowd sourced so it picks up signal quality from people's phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

ED E wrote: »
    20e SIM and a 5G handset.

Its actually only €15 for the sim and the unlimited data and you can use €5 of that to buy the 5g booster
    Its €25 then after 28 days its 25 euro
    But to test it out its only €15 all in

I got one last week
    Only 4g where I am but 5 g up the road

The 4g speed test was twice as fast as the 5g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Orebro

If you’re not getting a good 4G signal then I doubt very much you’re going to see a magic 5G signal that solves your bandwidth issues, but best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote: »
    If you’re not getting a good 4G signal then I doubt very much you’re going to see a magic 5G signal that solves your bandwidth issues, but best of luck with it!

I never said I'm getting a bad 4g signal. It's just not enough when you have multiple people in a big house streaming netflix, 1080p video and whatever else in the evenings. It's hard to manage when you move houses and downgrade from 200Mbps fiber to a mobile provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

I'd say you might want to hold off until 3 offer it officially OP, I just gave it a go myself and it didn't work. The box can pick up the 5G signal but it won't start a data connection on it (sim is activated for 5G)

See here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058117011&page=11

Others in the thread reporting the same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Anyone thinking three"s 5g is actually any good really should look at their twitter care feed or community forum, it pretty Dreadful by all accounts and the claim its available in all counties is questionable, maybe if you live near a big town. As it is, 4g is very inconsistent and conjestion a real problem.

As it stands there is no 3 5g broadband offering, supposed to be coming in December but even at that the coverage area is extremely limited and as for coverage maps, I'd take with a grain of salt.

Adrian weckler of the indo did an article shortly after the 5g launch, I presume the test was in Dublin locations

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/put-to-the-test-can-threes-5g-network-really-deliver-breakneck-speeds-it-promises-39577539.html

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I'd say you might want to hold off until 3 offer it officially OP, I just gave it a go myself and it didn't work. The box can pick up the 5G signal but it won't start a data connection on it (sim is activated for 5G)

See here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058117011&page=11

Others in the thread reporting the same issue.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking three"s 5g is actually any good really should look at their twitter care feed or community forum, it pretty Dreadful by all accounts and the claim its available in all counties is questionable, maybe if you live near a big town. As it is, 4g is very inconsistent and conjestion a real problem.

As it stands there is no 3 5g broadband offering, supposed to be coming in December but even at that the coverage area is extremely limited and as for coverage maps, I'd take with a grain of salt.

Adrian weckler of the indo did an article shortly after the 5g launch, I presume the test was in Dublin locations

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/put-to-the-test-can-threes-5g-network-really-deliver-breakneck-speeds-it-promises-39577539.html

Thank you, that's a lot of solid information. I live in a large town and I've been told the broadband offer should be out by the end of the month. Seeing how my contract is over, can't see a reason not to give it a try when it's out.

Advertisement