Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Athlone Greenway

Options
  • 07-11-2020 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Quick question I’m hoping someone can help me: Is this suitable for a hybrid or would you get by on road bike (hybrid and race)? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭obi604

Quick question I’m hoping someone can help me: Is this suitable for a hybrid or would you get by on road bike (hybrid and race)? Thanks.

When was this greenway built ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

I presume the op is talking about cycling the Royal Canal.

Very briefly, Dublin to Maynooth may cause some problems for a variety of reasons, but Maynooth to Athlone should be easily done on any bike.

Here's an article with some more detail

https://irishcycle.com/2020/07/13/irelands-longest-off-road-cycle-route-is-open-over-100km-between-maynooth-and-athlone/

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

This uses the Royal Canal Greenway from Dublin to Mullingar, then the Old Rail Trail from Mullingar to Athlone. Ironically the surface gets better the further west you go:

Parts of the Dublin section are good with tarmac surface out to the M50.
    From Castleknock to just past Coolmine is a narrow, uneven, earthen surface that gets muddy at times. Cyclists are encouraged to dismount and walk with their bikes. I don’t even like running this section as it’s too uneven.
    From near clonsilla to Leixlip confey it is grass with some earthen sections where enough people have walked/run/cycled on it.
    Leixlip confey to Leixlip Louisa bridge is an old stone path that that potholes and standing water at times. It’s only a mile so it’s over quick enough.
    Between Louisa bridge and maynooth you have grass section, good new loose stone path, grass again then old stone path to finish.
    Maynooth to Mullingar is the completed section. This is a wide path with small, loose stone and fine for most bikes. I have an old, heavy, rental bike and I’ve covered many kms west of maynooth with no issue.
    As you leave Mullingar the path divides and the Old Rail trail heads for Athlone. This is a lovely tarmac path with rolling ups and downs. I’ve cycled and run on this and it’s great.

Advertisement