Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España 2020 | Stage 17 | Sequeros - Alto de la Covatilla (178.2 km)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Time gaps can’t have been right on that climb. Roglic had a bit to spare there in the end

Great craic though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

neris wrote: »
    Id say roglic saves this by the skin of his teeth

Not a fan tbh and he also should have gotten some penalties for the hideous kit he has been wearing throughout, trying to combine a relatively manky Slovenian jersey with a TJV and the leaders or green jersey kits

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What's been the point of Israel Start Up bringing the rest of the team? I don't think I've once seen Dan with another teammate in 3 weeks. Now I've missed some stages, but still.

Fair play to Carapaz for making that exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What an ending. Carapaz just ran out of KMs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It was Hugh Carthy that started it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Movistar didn't want Carapaz to win this Vuelta! Unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That was one hell of an attack from Carapaz. I said before, he's brilliant at picking his moment to go. Great finish to the race. Happy to see Rog win all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I get that Roglic is a great rider and to win GTs, you have to ride conservatively to your strengths but he's an "excitement vacuum"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dan ended up 1m 16s down on Carapaz. Finishes 4th overall. That and a stage win is a great end to a horrible season for him

• Advertisement

Galego wrote: »

Roglic gave Soler a hug at the end. He most likely would have lost the race if it wasn't for Soler & Mas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Galego wrote: »

Well, fair enough. Maybe he told 'em to get stuffed when he was leaving. You have to be careful with the bridges you burn in life. That's only guessing now mind. Dan just looked heavy legged. I called it before he was dropped. But a stage win and a 4th place overall - not too shabby. With a phucking phantom team.

This is Dan's best ever finish in a GC. He has finished 6th, 8th, and 9th in le Tour in 2017, 2018, and 2016 respectively. And he finished 7th overall in the Vuelta in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

So Carapaz was just lucky to win th Girolast year...the erroneous view of many pundits on here

Best climber in the race with Carthy and would have won if he had a team or half of TJV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Fair play to Dan on 4th place in the General Classification. His 5th time finishing top 10 in the GC at a Grand Tour (3 times at Tour, twice at Vuelta). Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche have 8 and 6 Grand Tour top 10s respectively for context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I think Carapaz earns a crack at next year's Tour, as co-leader at the very least, after this performance. Fair play to Roglic, but it would have been interesting with more typical summit finishes at this Vuelta. Only one big mountain stage in the final week is not the usual GC standard.

I though Dan was dropping out of the top five for a moment but he holds on to fourth overall. That's his highest GC performance looking at the stats. Not a bad way to end the season with a win and top five!

Anyway, that's the first time that all three grand Tours in one year have been decided by less than a minute! It's been a good season given everyting that's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Anyway, that's the first time that all three grand Tours in one year have been decided by less than a minute! It's been a good season given everyting that's happened.

I'll raise your 'good' to 'great'. With Sam keeping the flat stages interesting in the Tour and Vuelta and Dan battling to the end today to hold his 4th, it's been terrific to watch. Even without the Irish interest, the closeness of the racing and the frequent changes of leaders made for great watching when we all needed a bit of divarsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I'll raise your 'good' to 'great'. With Sam keeping the flat stages interesting in the Tour and Vuelta and Dan battling to the end today to hold his 4th, it's been terrific to watch. Even without the Irish interest, the closeness of the racing and the frequent changes of leaders made for great watching when we all needed a bit of divarsion.

Tour de France was the best sporting event I've watched this year. It felt the most normal as there were fans on the road in big numbers. Can't think of any other sporting event that was as close to normal as the Tour felt. Vuelta was great, but not as many fans on the road unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Vuelta was great, but not as many fans on the road unfortunately.

One of the things that annoys me most years is the idiots running alongside the riders on the mountain sections. Happy to not see it on the Vuelta!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

The fans were out where they could. Loved the cobbled section today

Think they would have been glad of a bit of cheering when they went trough that town, most of them seemed to be people who had come out their front door and there was the race.

Reminded me of one of the stages in the Giro, was the the Etna stage there was a town with a climb like that trough it with narrow streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Doc07

Dan posted a nice and humble message on twitter. I’m not on twitter but if you are send him a well done tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Good to see the movistar team back on form big win again for them on team classifcation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Monday is a rest day. :P

What will we do on Tuesday??:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Omloop het Nieuwsblaad is the 28 Feb so count down the days

Omloop het Nieuwsblaad is the 28 Feb so count down the days

Yeah what was it they needed at least 5 WT teams for the Ozzy races to go ahead and they didn't get that despite some crazy bubbles being proposed for teams in hotels.

Personally having watched Long way up recently the South American races need to be looked at more in terms of the World tour as they fit with evening viewing here and some of the climbs and even the flats would make for epic viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Incredible showing from Dan overall. Even though he just missed podium place today, he put in an sterling effort to finish with 2 minutes overall on some of the best GC rider in one for the most difficult. Very proud to have an Irish man of such caliber

• Advertisement
Advertisement