Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best silicone sealant (or other product) for anti mould

• 07-11-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I seem to be having to replace the silicone sealant around my bath and sink every 2/3 years as it goes black with mould, I guess.

I generally get one of the more expensive ones claiming to have anti mould properties, but all end up the same. When I replace it, I think I do a good job of removing all the old stuff, and use a hair dryer to ensure there is no moisture present before applying the new sealant.

Any ideas/recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Sounds like an application issue. I'm guessing after applying the bead of silicone you're then using the popular method of spraying it with a mix of water and washing up liquid before tooling it or running your finger along?
    Have a look at this video, one of the better explanations of how and what not to do when applying silicone:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi Thanks, just running out now so will watch video later.

I don't apply any water, just my dry finger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Sounds like an application issue. I'm guessing after applying the bead of silicone you're then using the popular method of spraying it with a mix of water and washing up liquid before tooling it or running your finger along?
    Have a look at this video, one of the better explanations of how and what not to do when applying silicone:

This guy is great, I'm a DIY idiot and followed him to a good finish. Tackling a shower tray next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Gosforth handyman has a good video on the whole process of resealing a bath ir shower

Mould doesn't grow on silicone . It grows on the later of dirt.

I followed that video, feel confident I did a better job than before. I'll report back in a few years :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭skilachi

hots wrote: »
    This guy is great, I'm a DIY idiot and followed him to a good finish. Tackling a shower tray next.
    where would I get 1 of them silicone profiling kits in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

skilachi wrote: »

I thought bandq did them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Can I please ask - How the hell do you remove old silicone between back of ceramic washbasin and wall???

What's there has a crack in it and I need it gone to put in a new seal.

Tks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I thought bandq did them

Yep, Woodies or Amazon for your mans in the video. I would recommend getting one that is move that just the single square, if you're going over tiles you'll appreciate having a few points of contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Can I please ask - How the hell do you remove old silicone between back of ceramic washbasin and wall???

What's there has a crack in it and I need it gone to put in a new seal.

Tks!

A fresh Stanley blade works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭El_robbo1980

I bought that exact Cramer 7-piece kit off Amazon, delivered to the door for €21 in less than a week. Previously would’ve used the wet finger/masking tape method but I’ve used the kit a few times already and it’s a revelation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭whizbang

You can use clear silicone most of the time, and it doesn't grow mould anywhere near as quick as the white stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I use bostik SIL 60
    Very easy to work with

I got an old credit card and cut a corner off it

Yeah, B&Q have them, not the exact same as in the video. They have a set in the last isle (assuming you turn left when you go in), I think in the tiles section, and they have a single tool where the actual sealer is. This in B&Q Swords

Advertisement