Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service 'probation' period and mortgage applications

Options
  • 07-11-2020 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone has any experience of mortgage applications/approval while on a civil service probationary period?

Both of us are established civil servants a few years and both have recently been successful in promotions and are subject to probation as standard.

Is it imperative to be out of probation before a mortgage lender will allow draw down? The civil service probation is 12 months which is quite a long time.

Furthermore, there is a chance that one of us will be successful again in another competition within the next 12 months, which would start off the probationary period countdown timer of 12 months again.

Obviously achieving the promotions is better for our financial standing/combined income and careers, but the 12 month probation period delays the purchasing of a house that we've been working towards for years now.

Does anyone have experience of public sector mortgage companies? If only one of the couple was on probation would that make a difference?

Any thoughts/experience appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Explain that you'll be acting to substantive. They may take your previous salaries as guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I was on probation for promotion in the civil service when we were approved for our mortgage.

As I was already an established civil servant that’s all my letter from work said - that I was permanent and pensionable and my salary scale, nothing about probation as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HipPopOptamus

Toulouse wrote: »
    I was on probation for promotion in the civil service when we were approved for our mortgage.

As I was already an established civil servant that’s all my letter from work said - that I was permanent and pensionable and my salary scale, nothing about probation as far as I can remember.

I was on probation too from a promotion and my letter said I was on probation until x date with my start date as my original start date years ago from my first post. I thought that might be because you may have been an internal or interd comp but even still would your salary scale not be subject to you passing the probation at your current grade?

Bank gave AIP wouldn't issue the "full offer" letter until I had passed my probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I was on probation too from a promotion and my letter said I was on probation until x date with my start date as my original start date years ago from my first post. I thought that might be because you may have been an internal or interd comp but even still would your salary scale not be subject to you passing the probation at your current grade?

Bank gave AIP wouldn't issue the "full offer" letter until I had passed my probation.

Actually now that I think about it, even though it was technically a promotion - I was left on my previous salary scale as it was more beneficial at the top. Probably why probation wasn’t mentioned on my letter as passing or failing wouldn’t have made any difference to the scale.

Sorry OP, my example is of absolutely no help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mr lebowski

Could I get some feedback on what happened in the end please? It is looking like I will be in the same position as you were. The only difference being I could be jumping a grade and switching from Public Service to Civil Service. Any feedback is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement