Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help - how to choose a mountain bike!

Options
  • 07-11-2020 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

so im looking at getting an mtb on b2w, budget about 1500.

There are so many differnt types - trail, enduro, xc, etc. What is the difference with them. i plan on using it on local trails, the like of ballyhoura, ballinastoe etc. I dont need a top end bike, but would like something that doesnt need upgrading

Apart from a bike and pedals, are there likely to be any other items i will need to get - i have a lot of stuff from the road bikes like pumps and tools etc.

any help appreciated!
    Lenny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

https://youtu.be/hYqJKDwvUY4

This just dropped today, will break down some of the differences. Not sure what 1500 will get you but it will either be a high speced hardtail or a lower speced full sus. Happy shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Something like the Vitus Mythique has been very well reviewed for around that price point Lenny. Top spec one is €18xx.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

A hardtail would suit you perfectly for the coilte trails there's no need for full suspension. Better for climbing, less costly and cheaper to service. I would go with nothing less than a 120mm travel fork, something like the vitus sentier would do the job no problem at all. Has a dropper post too which is usefu. It's really when you start doing steep natural trails where the full suspension comes into it's own.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-sentier-27-vr-mountain-bike-2021

Apart from the bike you'll need gloves, knee pads and a decent helmet. Fork pump is handy too for setting up your fork to suit your weight.

Stock is very low at the moment unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Lenny, by way of reference, I git a Cannondaly Traul 4 earlier this year for about €800 with change for pedals and bottle cages, etc. Perfect for my needs; xc exploring and trail centres. In road bike terms, alu frame, carbon fork with alu steerer, tiagra and middlib' wheels. If my budget was bigger, I'd have gotten a model with a better fork and possibly have considered getting better after market wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

cheers for the responses guys - the gmbn video was very useful. I have had Vitus recommended a few times, they seem to be good, but low on stock.

Ill do some more researhc, but if anyone else has recommendations, that would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

The new vitus 2021 bikes are coming out this month and next month I think. They do be snapped up quick enough though if your looking for one of the cheaper ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

I got a new hardtail on the BTW in april. Read a recommendation on here for an orbea laufey and picked up the top model in lbs in Wicklow. Super bike, definitely won't be holding me back ;-) It's got a dropper post, 1*12 and i think a 140 mm Marzocchi fork for €1700 or so. Climbs well, and goes down faster than I am prepared to ride it!

Just one opinion from a very unskilled but happy mtber.

Advertisement