If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New soundbar recommendation

Options
  • 07-11-2020 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I have a Sony xg81 TV and my Sony HT-CT290 sub has stopped working.
    Tbh i wasn't happy with it anyway. Sound would go out of sync and bass was non existent unless there was a big explosion in the film.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a sound bar with sub upto €400.

Id like hdmi arc with a few hdmi inputs, good voice and bass with atmos if possible. The needs to be controlable from TV remote.

Was looking at Sony options but lots of complaints on the bass the same as I have in mine already.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

dfdream wrote: »
    Tbh i wasn't happy with it anyway. Sound would go out of sync and bass was non existent unless there was a big explosion in the film.

Id like hdmi arc with a few hdmi inputs, good voice and bass with atmos if possible. The needs to be controlable from TV remote.

Was looking at Sony options but lots of complaints on the bass the same as I have in mine already.
    Thanks for the post dfdream.

If you're looking for a soundbar with a sub that will support Atmos I would recommend the LG SL8YG. It's a bit over budget at 529 euro but has an HDMI input and output and also supports Dolby Atmos at 3.1.2. It also has Chromecast built in, the volume can be controlled with your TV remote and the Meridian sound tuning sounds fantastic!

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204267-lg-sl8yg-3-1-2-ch-high-res-audio-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-and-google-assistant.aspx

Let me know what you think of this option!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The HT-CT290 sub issue is 100% a manufacturers fault that’s been ignored completely by Sony. I chased it up a little bit, including being sent to a Sony repair in Dublin by Sony support only to arrive and be told it would be at my own expense for the repair.

Considered returning to the seller and claiming consumer rights under ECC for a repair/replacement but as I didn’t technically purchase it (free with TV) I didn’t really have a leg to stand on. IF I had purchased it 100% I would have followed up as it’s clear as day there is a problem with the unit.

Search anywhere and the sub failure is obvious. Almost every 290 for sale is without the sub or with a non working one, and reviews/forums are full of people whose subs failed approx 18 months or so after purchase.

Shame.

Hi DfDream.

The SN7Y is not one that we stock unfortunately.

We do the SN7CY but it doesn't come with the subwoofer.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204821-lg-sn7cy-3-0-2-ch-high-res-audio-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos.aspx

If you didn't mind another Sony there is the HT-G700 priced at 449 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204780-sony-ht-g700-soundbar.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

Even though I have a Sony TV with my experience of bass not working and before that really poor bass anyway I'm weary of Sony sound bars. Lots of similar views from other soundbars. And I haven't heard one so can't say. In your experience how would you compare sound and bass compared to LG? Is there a return policy?

Hi DfDream.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204821-lg-sn7cy-3-0-2-ch-high-res-audio-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos.aspx

Kenny.

• Advertisement

Even though I have a Sony TV with my experience of bass not working and before that really poor bass anyway I'm weary of Sony sound bars. Lots of similar views from other soundbars. And I haven't heard one so can't say. In your experience how would you compare sound and bass compared to LG?  Is there a return policy?

Hi DfDream.

Kenny.
    Hi Dfdream.

To be honest I have not heard the Sony myself but I have heard some of the LG which do sound great and the Atmos effect from the higher SL8YG is excellent.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204267-lg-sl8yg-3-1-2-ch-high-res-audio-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-and-google-assistant.aspx

Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

With your experience I am surprised you are not looking at Sonos. Over ten years they have released maybe a dozen of speakers and keep updating and fixing their software for very long.

You'd get a Beam in your budget.

LG soundbars, even the Meridian ones, are not very nice. Horrible plastic and soso sound. Samsung has better products, but their corporate culture is horrible and often simply ignore issues customers have.

Considered beam but it was 399 stg with no sub.
    Some said needed sub and movie immersed sound wasn't great but was great for music which wasn't important for me.

TBH after all my reading n device is as subjective as a soundbar. Devices in top of some reviews are bottom in others.

Biggest issue is with covid you can't even go listen to them.

grogi wrote: »
    With your experience I am surprised you are not looking at Sonos. Over ten years they have released maybe a dozen of speakers and keep updating and fixing their software for very long.

LG soundbars, even the Meridian ones, are not very nice. Horrible plastic and soso sound. Samsung has better products, but their corporate culture is horrible and often simply ignore issues customers have.

Considered beam but it was 399 stg with no sub.
    Some said needed sub and movie immersed sound wasn't great but was great for music which wasn't important for me.

TBH after all my reading n device is as subjective as a soundbar. Devices in top of some reviews are bottom in others.

Biggest issue is with covid you can't even go listen to them.

grogi wrote: »

Hi dfdream,

The Sonos soundbars do sound great as well even without the sub but it does get pricey when you add the components together. The LG does have a wireless sub so will take care of the lower frequencies for you but the Sonos does allow more control as a multi room wireless system.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.