Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish butter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I give you Lurpak, Danish butter which can rival any Irish butter, especially when spread over Scottish Pride toast. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

LOVE Irish butter. My mother used tell me I ate too much of it.

We spent a lot of time as kids on the continent due to my folk's work and I remember turning my nose up at the unsalted butter on offer. I would actually eat it now but nothing beats Kerrygold!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I give you Lurpak. Danish butter which can rival any Irish butter, especially when spread over Scottish Pride toast. :)

You'd expect so seeing as they're fond of the butter cookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

Greyfox wrote: »
    We make the best butter in the world but Nutella instead of butter is the wise mans choice

I dunno I wouldnt fancy my spuds with chocolate spread melting into them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is there such a thing as goat butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I think it's something all goats do...

Probably.

Even if all the dairy cattle on the planet expired tomorrow, no way would I want butter made from goat milk.

I’d rather just give up toast and spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Irish butter is class.

I do love the Normandy/Brittany butter with the salt crystals in it. Lash it on to a fresh baguette (when on the annual holiday to France)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Bandon butter is the best IMO.

Where can I get Irish ghee? My Rogan Josh would appreciate it I think.

• Advertisement

Bandon butter is the best IMO.

Where can I get Irish ghee? My Rogan Josh would appreciate it I think.

This is the one i used.

Given by a friend, I'll find out where she got it.

EDIT: Holland and Barret.

Makes great fried potatoes too.

https://www.nourish.ie/p/happy-butter-organic-ghee-300g/hbgm001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I give you Lurpak, Danish butter which can rival any Irish butter, especially when spread over Scottish Pride toast. :)

I doubt most Danish cows ever see the light of day or would know what to do in a field of fresh grass. The Danes have been pretty successful when it comes to producing pork, bacon and dairy products but only because the treat farming like an intensive industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I never knew how good Irish is until I ate some butter in Holland many years ago, my god it was sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Some of the food we produce it genuinely world class.

I have friends in the agrifood business and selling around the world for them is painful easy. The standards, processes and products we have crap all over their ilk elsewhere.

That goes for the mass produced products from the like of Kerry.

I once paid $60 on a steak that tasted like a €2 burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I love the old Kerrygold Horse to France ad, especially the auld biddy giving the French one a filthy look and going "We're goin' to be servin' noww, any minnit!" :D

Glenstal Butter with the salt crystals is really good also, especially on spuds. I also tried the Normandy Butter with salt crystals from Tesco and it was fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Nothing like a spud straight from a fire with a dollop of Irish butter. mmmh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Block of Kerrygold, there is no other butter imo. And no, other brands don't taste anything like it. Some might get close, but nothing compares to a block of Kerrygold.

I'd imagine those that think x brand tastes like Kerrygold also think Coke and Pepsi taste the same, ie: no tastebuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

World's best butter. End of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Lurpak? You need your taste buds checked. Flavourless ****e.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yikesoc wrote: »
    Shock horror, but what was acceptable back then doesn't meant it was't racist. It just means we accepted it. But not anymore. We cannot continue to endorse and endure racist stereotypes, it doesn't matter that the poster was rehashing a quote from another media. It's still wrong.

Cop yourself on.

How did a thread about butter end up with racism in it...

Anyway, if you are a fan of Kerrygold and biscuits, get their shortbread biscuits. It's literally their butter in biscuit format. Expensive and very rich, but so so nice!

image.jpg

And I mean literally, not in the common misuse of the word way, they are literally Kerrygold butter in biscuit format

• Advertisement

How did a thread about butter end up with racism in it...

Anyway, if you are a fan of Kerrygold and biscuits, get their shortbread biscuits. It's literally their butter in biscuit format. Expensive and very rich, but so so nice!

image.jpg

And I mean literally, not in the common misuse of the word way, they are literally Kerrygold butter in biscuit format

How, I mean where, did you even find this thing?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lads, if you think Kerrygold is good, you'll lose your sh*t over Glenstal butter. Not made by the monks any more as far as I know, but it's pretty close to a religious experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Treppen

Zaph wrote: »
    Lads, if you think Kerrygold is good, you'll lose your sh*t over Glenstal butter. Not made by the monks any more as far as I know, but it's pretty close to a religious experience.

Dunno I got it and didn't get any bang off it.

Actually my favourite butter is
    Paysan Breton Beurre Moule Demi-Sel

How, I mean where, did you even find this thing?

Supervalu usually has them, but I've bought them in Spar and Centra too at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

46 Long wrote: »
    All salted butter has the same ingredients as Kerrygold.

The Tesco and Dunnes own brand stuff is very nice but it's a bit saltier and not as creamy.

The salt content of Tesco and the others is 1.8% the same as Kerrygold. They are all the same product, just different wrappers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I didn’t realise Kerry cows produced superior milk than Offaly cows. My apologies.

Kerrygold is manufactured in Mitchlestown, doubt if there is much Kerry milk in it

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭chosen1

There is some very good irish ghee available now too. Game changer for curries.

This is posted over a day now and not one person has made a joke out of this.

Amazing

chosen1 wrote: »

Amazing

We all very mature here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

chosen1 wrote: »

Amazing
    Giz a go of your ghee!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd say this is better then Kerrygold. The nicest butter I ever had was in Sweden but that was homemade in some Michelin star place.

However for a mass produced product, Kerrygold is top of the class. Unlike their footballers today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

We all very mature here.

Ah not at all, that would be the Irish Cheddar thread.

Kerrygold is a winner for me although I'm sure the likes of Glenstal, Abernathy and Cuinneog butters would leave me with a smile on my face.

This though, i don't know what these lads are touting...

Snakejam salesman i tell ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RasTa wrote: »

https://youtu.be/ZyXUzhTn0kI

I'd say this is better then Kerrygold. The nicest butter I ever had was in Sweden but that was homemade in some Michelin star place.

However for a mass produced product, Kerrygold is top of the class. Unlike their footballers today

France? Must have been that dratted horse :pac:

The salt content of Tesco and the others is 1.8% the same as Kerrygold. They are all the same product, just different wrappers.

Same in name maybe, but not in taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Greyfox wrote: »
    We make the best butter in the world but Nutella instead of butter is the wise mans choice

Not if you are a wise woman with a nut allergy.

When I can't get Kerrygold, I get Lurpak. It's ok but no KG.

Am glad my very drunk rant about butter got such a great discussion going. Am finally sober after 2 days drinking and gonna make some toast with Kerrygold for my brekkie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Grr will be hankering for toast with real butter for the rest of the night now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ya, it’s the EXACT same thing. Used to work in the labs that analysed the diary products directly from the manufacturers, brought in by the agricultural inspectors. Same lads also did the farm inspections. For my sins, I used to have to do up the reports, with butterfat, salt percentages etc etc. You’ll see where they’re packaged in the same facility by the approval numbers on the wrapper eg IE1086, IE1048 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Ya, it’s the EXACT same thing. Used to work in the labs that analysed the diary products directly from the manufacturers, brought in by the agricultural inspectors. Same lads also did the farm inspections. For my sins, I used to have to do up the reports, with butterfat, salt percentages etc etc. You’ll see where they’re packaged in the same facility by the approval numbers on the wrapper eg IE1086, IE1048 etc.

Fake news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Spotted some Kerrygold in Mauritius years ago, a worldwide phenomenon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is a post from a thread in 2016, which confirms what you say. I doubt if any of those who claim that Kerrygold is different, could pick it out in a blind tasting.

I worked in a Avonmore cheese and butter processing plant for a number of years. We process Kerrygold, Tesco and a few more unbranded butter's and packaged them also.

They both use the EXACT same milk byproducts, EXACT same churn and EXACT same packaging equipment, the only difference being that the actual package wrap is changed on packaging lines when quotas are met.

The Kerrygold unsalted butter in the silver package was the only type of butter that was different, very popular in the US.

• Advertisement

So Avonmore = Kerrygold?

Huge, if true.

Or is that just about the supermarket brands?

As an aside, my mother refuses to drink Dawn milk. And I'm conceived there is something about the name or branding that puts her off.

The power of marketing, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've observed that the Lidl and Tesco butter has different melt points.
    The Lidl one was definitely harder. I don't notice a taste difference but the texture is noticeably different at the same temperature.
    So, not the same product.

The Lidl one was definitely harder. I don't notice a taste difference but the texture is noticeably different at the same temperature.

You should work for Serious Eats!
    Good lab work TBR!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Brian? wrote: »
    I was delighted when I found Kerrygold on sale here in he Netherlands. Every time I go to the shop now they only have unsalted though it’s devastating. I’m going to email the company.
    while our butter is the best it's hard to beat the dutch for mayonaisse . used to visit holland 3 or 4 times a year and had mayo and chip's most days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

while our butter is the best it's hard to beat the dutch for mayonaisse . used to visit holland 3 or 4 times a year and had mayo and chip's most days

^^^ This. :D

Many years ago - did the whole backpacking thing around Europe on a budget which didn't stretch too far. Coming in on budget- the Dutch mayonnaise and chips plus beer was savage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Kerrygold is manufactured in Mitchlestown, doubt if there is much Kerry milk in it
    Mitchelestown is owned by the dairy board made up of all different co ops across the country. It's the main butter plant at the moment but not the only one where "Kerry Gold" is produced.. Kerry Gold can be produced in Roscomon and Connacht Gold in Cork. Mitchelestown gets its cream from as far away as north Donegal. Also as stated here already supermarket own brands are are the same as branded butter just a different label, same goes for milk. If you want to know where your dairy products are produced look at the IE number every plant has it's own number which identifies the plant not the address on the carton/box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I can totally relate to this thread.

Up until maybe a few years ago I would get any oul blended spread that went in the fridge.

It doesn't have to be kerrygold...but fresh simple butter in a butter dish is the way to go!
    Tastes a million times better.

In Italia the best food in the world, but every good supermarket has a space in the fridge for burro irlandese. Pure class product

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I had noticed this too, moreso because I have butter out in a dish to soften to make it spreadable. Lidl's Dairy Manor needs a higher ambient temp to soften enough to make it spreadable, compared to Kerrygold.

Looking at the label, Lidl's own brand has IE1024EU on it, which is Lakeland Dairies, Baileborough, Cavan. Lakeland own the Champion brand too, which I guess explains why it sits alongside Dairy Manor in Lidl's fridge!

I don't have an Aldi own-brand to check, though it appears to soften better than Dairy Manor from my limited observations :) So I'm guessing it's not made by Lakeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

My GF gets this butter from somewhere in Dublin. It's a a round barrel about the size of a Red Bull can and is wrapped in parchment.

It is EFFING divine. It has rocksalt fragments built in to it. Kerrygold is the business but this gear is off the scale. I could eat it just by itself or smear it on stale cream crackers and devour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement