Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish butter

13»

Comments

My GF gets this butter from somewhere in Dublin. It's a a round barrel about the size of a Red Bull can and is wrapped in parchment.

It is EFFING divine. It has rocksalt fragments built in to it. Kerrygold is the business but this gear is off the scale. I could eat it just by itself or smear it on stale cream crackers and devour.

That’s the monk one from Limerick that someone was on about earlier in the thread probably.

Edit - Glenstal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Kerrygold is sold in 110 countries

Baileys is sold in 130 countries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

That’s the monk one from Limerick that someone was on about earlier in the thread probably.

Edit - Glenstal?

Could be.

It is the absolute BUSINESS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as goat butter?

Yes, I've seen it in Dunnnes, I'm tempted to try it because I'm addicted to goats cheese.
    Our dairy is probably the best in the world, I've used champion real butter in work, it's a great real butter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

And someone asked where can they get Irish ghee. Make it yourself, just melt real butter and remove the milk solids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No, no there is not.

Kerrygold and some toast and I can not stop eating it until it is gone.

It's like cocaine.

Now I so want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Isn't it easy enough to make your own butter? I keep meaning to give it a go. Make my own yoghurt which is simple enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Yes, I've seen it in Dunnnes, I'm tempted to try it because

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/dairy-milk-eggs-butter-delamere-goats-250-grams-/p-1060933000

I seen it in Nourish too (Dublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Isn't it easy enough to make your own butter? I keep meaning to give it a go. Make my own yoghurt which is simple enough.

You need a small butter churn and once you can get raw milk and salt your all set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

G'wan Andre, lash the butter on the spuds there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Brian? wrote: »
    Here’s he ad in question:

https://youtu.be/aSkQij6lGJ4

How they stereotype French people as always wanting to help with dinner!!!!

It amuses me that they choose a French guy in those ads as the representative Johnny Foreigner to fawn over Irish produce because the only part of the world that can actually rival Irish butter in terms of quality is probably Normandy. You won't find Kerrygold on their shelves in the North West. Coals to Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

While I don't buy into the whole everything Irish is better malarkey, I've yet to taste better butter from anywhere else.

so todate you have no evidence not to buy into it.

Fact: baileys can only be made in the island of ireland due to superior dairy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

topper75 wrote: »
    It amuses me that they choose a French guy in those ads as the representative Johnny Foreigner to fawn over Irish produce because the only part of the world that can actually rival Irish butter in terms of quality is probably Normandy. You won't find Kerrygold on their shelves in the North West. Coals to Newcastle.

Are sure they had to use someone ;)

And maybe France because they keep on running out of the stuff. Apparently they can't get enough of it!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/france-is-running-out-of-butter-for-its-croissants-1.3273851

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

But, but, what about the cruelty of stolen cow babies??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

gozunda wrote: »
    Are sure they had to use someone ;)

And maybe France because they keep on running out of the stuff. Apparently they can't get enough of it!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/france-is-running-out-of-butter-for-its-croissants-1.3273851

In Spain they use pig fat (lard) for their croissants and other pastry products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Tesco butter has the same ingredients as Kerry gold, tastes the same and is 1/4 the price

ditto Supervalu!

who ya gonna call??
    GOATS BUTTER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 toffee dave

Smjor Icelandic butter is really good,also Tinnocks Farm butter from Wexford is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

aldi butter is the same as kerrygold

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

while our butter is the best it's hard to beat the dutch for mayonaisse . used to visit holland 3 or 4 times a year and had mayo and chip's most days

The mayonaisse is superb alright. But it isn't even peak mayonaisse, that's in Belgium.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Can't be just Belgian. - has to be Flanders.

topper75 wrote: »
    Can't be just Belgian. - has to be Flanders.

True. I've never eaten outside Flanders in Belgium. I dont trust the sneaky Wallonians

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

while our butter is the best it's hard to beat the dutch for mayonaisse . used to visit holland 3 or 4 times a year and had mayo and chip's most days

Except it's not mayonnaise at all. It's "frites saus" (fries sauce).

Go into the supermarket and you will see Hellmann's or Calve Mayonnaise in jars and then you will see plastic bottles of Frites Saus alongside the ketchup.

Frites Saus is tangy. In a blind taste test people would probably equate it more with ketchup or Heinz Salad Cream than Mayonnaise. It's just that it is a similiar colour to mayo (it's slightly yellower).

gmisk wrote: »
    I can totally relate to this thread.

Up until maybe a few years ago I would get any oul blended spread that went in the fridge.

It doesn't have to be kerrygold...but fresh simple butter in a butter dish is the way to go!
    Tastes a million times better.

some people call these dreadful spreads butter!

Twice now when I have ordered IRISH BUTTER and even listed the SV price of E2.19 they have send some dreadful spread! Dreadful stuff. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’ve noticed that lots of British people, including Nigella Lawson, considered salted butter to be of lower quality. What’s that about? It’s a small amount of salt and enhances the flavour.

Personally, I’ve yet to taste butter as nice as Irish butter.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    As someone who usually eats the substitute spreads, the odd time I decide to treat myself and buy pure butter, it's like night and day.

Real luxurious taste off butter.

Life is way too short to not eat real butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

As an aside, my mother refuses to drink Dawn milk. And I'm conceived there is something about the name or branding that puts her off.

The power of marketing, eh?

My 3 year old refuses applegreen milk, not milky enough he said :) any other "brand" he is fine.

Regarding the butter I had to wine and dine a Romanian girl for work over the course of the week. Asked her what did she think of the food, Guinness, whiskey etc when she was going. All she said was the Butter here is amazing :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Graces7 wrote: »
    some people call these dreadful spreads butter!

Twice now when I have ordered IRISH BUTTER and even listed the SV price of E2.19 they have send some dreadful spread! Dreadful stuff. :eek:

I hate the stuff. It's not butter at all, but the marketing really pushes the butter connection, even when there is no dairy content in the product!

There is some very good irish ghee available now too. Game changer for curries.

I used to make my own clarified butter using Irish butter. Really easy to do actually. It elevates the smoke point so you can fry steaks and chops in buttery goodness whilst getting the pan really hot. With the protein solids removed, the oil doesn’t burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I hate the stuff. It's not butter at all, but the marketing really pushes the butter connection, even when there is no dairy content in the product!

I cant believe it's not butter :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

Here’s he ad in question:

https://youtu.be/aSkQij6lGJ4

How they stereotype French people as always wanting to help with dinner!!!!

That brought back memories!

I used to make my own clarified butter using Irish butter. Really easy to do actually. It elevates the smoke point so you can fry steaks and chops in buttery goodness whilst getting the pan really hot. With the protein solids removed, the oil doesn’t burn.

I might try this.
    The good quality ghee is quite expensive and hard to find.

I found this:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/clarified-butter-recipe.html

Do you use salted or unsalted butter?

I might try this.
    The good quality ghee is quite expensive and hard to find.

It doesn’t take long. Just slowly melt the butter in a saucepan on a low heat and then remove the milk solids that are floating around the top. I think it keeps for ages too though you might need to look that up. I’d highly recommend it. It tastes a bit different to ghee (insert dirty joke here) as the preparation methods are a bit different.

I used salted butter. Think it helps with preservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Irish butter has extra short chain fatty acids which research has shown have benefits including possibly against metabolic syndrome. The extra butyric acid gives butter its buttery smell and Irish butter has lots of it. This is all down to Irish cows having a grass diet.

(I have no idea what metabolic syndrome is, I am just being told all this)

looksee wrote: »
    Irish butter has extra short chain fatty acids which research has shown have benefits including possibly against metabolic syndrome. The extra butyric acid gives butter its buttery smell and Irish butter has lots of it. This is all down to Irish cows having a grass diet.

(I have no idea what metabolic syndrome is, I am just being told all this)

I’d love to pretend to be interested in that health malarkey but I eat real butter because it tastes fucking good and that’s pretty much it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I’d love to pretend to be interested in that health malarkey but I eat real butter because it tastes fucking good and that’s pretty much it. :cool:

I like the fact that it has only two ingredients, Milk and Salt. Unlike the butter wannabees which are marketed as healthier alternatives. This is the list of ingredients in something called Low Low.

Ingredients
    Water, Sunflower Oil, Palm Oil, Linseed Oil, Reconstituted Buttermilk (3%), Salt (1.3%), Emulsifiers (Mono and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Sunflower Lecithin), Stabiliser (Sodium Alginate), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Lactic Acid, Vitamin E, Vitamin A & D, Natural Flavouring, Colour (Carotenes), Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

O the memories, was based in Baltimore, Maryland, USA Between 2006/2008 and only appreciated Irish Butter when faced with the Muck Americans call butter. I recall Kerry gold was only available in high end stores like wholefoods and my god it was pricey, I think it was certainly €10 for 1/2 lb and you couldn't get the full block, that might have changed since but to be honest, I'd have paid twice that for an occasional treat. Barry's Gold Blend was also available but again off the scale expensive.

Seems Ireland one of a very very few countries that use salted butter as the norm. American butter just awful and looks and tastes like lard.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I didn’t realise Kerry cows produced superior milk than Offaly cows. My apologies.
    Kerrygold butter has no specific connection with Kerry. Neither is it owned by Kerry Group. Lee Strand butter is the main brand of butter made from Kerry milk.

Avartar checks out ;)

I love the way butter goes not only on the inside of sandwich and also the outside of toast and toasted sandwiches. I mean what's not to like :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I love the old Kerrygold Horse to France ad, especially the auld biddy giving the French one a filthy look and going "We're goin' to be servin' noww, any minnit!" :D

Glenstal Butter with the salt crystals is really good also, especially on spuds. I also tried the Normandy Butter with salt crystals from Tesco and it was fabulous.

"It'll be riddy neow...inna minnish"

• Advertisement

Go into the supermarket and you will see Hellmann's or Calve Mayonnaise in jars and then you will see plastic bottles of Frites Saus alongside the ketchup.

Frites Saus is tangy. In a blind taste test people would probably equate it more with ketchup or Heinz Salad Cream than Mayonnaise. It's just that it is a similiar colour to mayo (it's slightly yellower).

Au contraire. Most people get mayonnaise with their chips here. Unless your specifically order frites saus, which is closer in flavour to Belgian mayonnaise. It’s the mustard in it that makes it yellow, that’s how Belgians make mayonnaise. For every egg yolk, you are a teaspoon of mustard and a dash of vinegar.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Well people. I must say im a dairy gold peraon myself. But the flipping thing in my opinion has changed lately. It doesnt seem to get hard anymore in the fridge. Im on about the spreadable one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

The mayonaisse is superb alright. But it isn't even peak mayonaisse, that's in Belgium.
    Belgian stuff is good all right but id prefer the dutch one myself.
    Flanders for the beer all right . Had the best steak I can remember in an argentinian steak house in Antwerp .God only knows where it came from or if it was even beef steak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Frites saus is different stuff altogether

Getting OT, but Andalouse sauce is also great with chips! Had it in France years ago.

Can't find it on sale anywhere, so might make it myself. It's just mayo with tomato paste, onion and bell pepper.

It works well for frying - and for lighting the fire! I use it on toast when I feel I need a penance!!! Smother it with marmalade and honey..

I remember post war UK when we had "margarine" ( look up the history of war time Uk when margarine was invented;; fascinating) or " best butter." The latter was scarce and expensive. And had thus " snob" value. I still feel a little …. decadent.. sometimes using butter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Kerrygold. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

French butter with a high percentage of butter fat is unbelievable, a bit expensive but worth it, so creamy so buttery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Kerrygold is hands down the worst of Irish butters. Don’t get people’s obsession with all I can taste is the salt, which is overpowering everything else. Bandon butter all the way. The nicest thing under the sun.

Advertisement