Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting a motor insurance policy lapse.

• 07-11-2020 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

Hi all, so my policy is due for renewal on my old jalopy but I don't live in Ireland and won't be back until June 2022. I've kept it open and suspended for just over 12 months in order to keep my NCB intact. The car is a 2006 Volvo that my father now drives to the bog (private road) and that's it. It is in poor repair and was at the end of it's life a year ago when I parked it up. I'd have scrapped it but it has new tyres which will fit my classic cars wheels.

Should I renew, it's only €600 due to suspension credit and I can suspend again to build up further credit on the account. I'm with Cornmarket.

I don't want a situation where I come back summer 22 and have to start all over but I understand NCB stands for 2 years before it disapears? I also have the issue of the classic car, I need a second policy but my wife's car is also in Ireland and we use it when as home (16 BMW) so in theory I have that to fall back on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I managed to keep my NCB when I was abroad. I was a named driver on father's policy for 2.5 years and I kept my full NCB when I came home. I was told at the time (2011) that if I'd let it go over the 3 years my old NCB wouldn't have been worth anything and go back to zero years experience.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I managed to keep my NCB when I was abroad. I was a named driver on father's policy for 2.5 years and I kept my full NCB when I came home. I was told at the time (2011) that if I'd let it go over the 3 years my old NCB wouldn't have been worth anything and go back to zero years experience.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I don't mind paying out a few €100 a year to maintain it but would rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks, I don't mind paying out a few €100 a year to maintain it but would rather not if I don't have to.

I would drop cornmarket a line. I know with my own insurnce the gap of no insurance before I lose my NCB is two years but it's a rinky dink insurance company. Some of the bigger companies will leave you go three years of a gap before it lapses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

My NCB would have ecpired two years after the expiry of my policy.. It may be that this changes from company to company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I would drop cornmarket a line. I know with my own insurnce the gap of no insurance before I lose my NCB is two years but it's a rinky dink insurance company. Some of the bigger companies will leave you go three years of a gap before it lapses.

A quick email would make sense but they are notorious for not replying.

• Advertisement

A quick email would make sense but they are notorious for not replying.

Sounds like my crowd, I shopped around everywhere and eventually settled on coverinaclick because they were a whole 15eur cheaper than the next place but for that privileges they don't answer emails either and a quick call usually takes an hour.

Advertisement