Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

We can have all the restrictions in the world but if people insist on gathering and visitng other houses then this will remain with us....

People's misbehaviour and no other reason is why we are where we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

bladespin wrote: »
    Travel represents just over 1% of infections

Sure

In the same way Covid miraculously doesn't seem to get into Schools

Bottom line is the "government" will manipulate the stats to hide their own shortcomings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Sure

In the same way Covid miraculously doesn't seem to get into Schools

Bottom line is the "government" will manipulate the stats to hide their own shortcomings

I'd be much more worried about schools tbh, their numbers are magically incorporated into household spread from what I can see and that's where our biggest numbers are coming from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I met 2 friends in a park for a chat and a coffee last weekend. Maintained SD. I did break the rules.

PS - I have met my friends a few times during the summer and have not been inside or indoors with them since last Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Rodin wrote: »
    We can have all the restrictions in the world but if people insist on gathering and visitng other houses then this will remain with us....

People's misbehaviour and no other reason is why we are where we are.

People's "misbehavior" which you define as "visting other houses." Most people would call that normal human behaviour and not "misbehaviour."

The level of fanaticism and zero understanding of basic human nature on these threads would be funny if it weren't so serious.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    People's "misbehavior" which you define as "visting other houses." Most people would call that normal human behaviour and not "misbehaviour."

The level of fanaticism and zero understanding of basic human nature on these threads would be funny if it weren't so serious.

And the level of ignorance on display with an increasing amount of Irish would also be funny if it wasn't so serious

8 months into a once in a century pandemic and people think 2019 behavior is ok

8 months!

And the level of ignorance on display with an increasing amount of Irish would also be funny if it wasn't so serious

8 months into a once in a century pandemic and people think 2019 behavior is ok

8 months!

Get over yourself would you and take your fanaticism and desire to control people elsewhere!

8 months into a once a century pandemic and it should be patently obvious that you cannot impose draconian anti social rules on human beings and expect them to comply long term. It simply won't happen. It's like asking them not to eat, not to sleep, not to obey bodily needs. You clearly don't understand human nature.

The smart way to do it is to use balance as they do in more enlightened places than Ireland. Where they allow people to live while also having protective restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Anyone with kids in school or college I'm avoiding.

Anyone working in groups of people as well.

Currently working from home and visiting people who do the same or on the Covid payment and vice versa.

Get over yourself would you and take your fanaticism and desire to control people elsewhere!

You're getting me confused with Tony

And I understand human nature fine thanks. But cheers for evaluating someone you've never met

As evident by the poll's result's; we're a nation of adults behaving like spoilt children in kindergarten

The only thing holding back absolutely disastrous numbers are those who are following Level 5 rules and realise how serious things will get if we don't.

See: the rest of Europe for evidence

You're getting me confused with Tony

And I understand human nature fine thanks. But cheers for evaluating someone you've never met

As evident by the poll's result's; we're a nation of adults behaving like spoilt children in kindergarten

The only thing holding back absolutely disastrous numbers are those who are following Level 5 rules and realise how serious things will get if we don't.

See: the rest of Europe for evidence

No unfortunately you sound very like Tony. Very dogmatic. And no you don't understand human nature at all if you consider humans acting like humans is a "nation of adults acting like spoiled children."

And the "absolutely disastrous numbers" are mainly in hospitals and care homes. A failure of the HSE and Government for the second time to protect these vulnerable people. I work in a huge school, over a thousand of us rambling around the building every day. To date there have been 4 cases,4!! I wouldn't call that "absolutely disastrous numbers." I'd call it living safely with Covid. It can be done. But dogmatic Tony thinks the "spoiled children" won't behave.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

I work in a huge school, over a thousand of us rambling around the building every day. To date there have been 4 cases,4!! I wouldn't call that "absolutely disastrous numbers." I'd call it living safely with Covid. It can be done. But dogmatic Tony thinks the "spoiled children" won't behave.:rolleyes:

Is not your numbers so low only because teachers fanaticism and desire to control pupil everywhere in the school? :rolleyes:

No unfortunately you sound very like Tony. Very dogmatic. And no you don't understand human nature at all if you consider humans acting like humans is a "nation of adults acting like spoiled children."

And the "absolutely disastrous numbers" are mainly in hospitals and care homes. A failure of the HSE and Government for the second time to protect these vulnerable people. I work in a huge school, over a thousand of us rambling around the building every day. To date there have been 4 cases,4!! I wouldn't call that "absolutely disastrous numbers." I'd call it living safely with Covid. It can be done. But dogmatic Tony thinks the "spoiled children" won't behave.:rolleyes:

Did they test the entire 1000 people on site?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I haven't left the house or had anyone come in since the last week in February. It's not that difficult to stick to yourself and your family. No coughs, colds or anything since then. It's bliss. Although most of my family have serious long term health problems so there's no room for risk.

Thats me wrote: »
    Is not your numbers so low only because teachers fanaticism and desire to control pupil everywhere in the school? :rolleyes:

Your point being??

Your point being??

LOL, you still missing the point? Many people above told you some adults not smarter than children in the school and therefore outside of school real enforcement is also required.

Jimson wrote: »
    Did they test the entire 1000 people on site?

And what's your point? That they're all going around asymptomatic?

Some possibly are but if that were the case would we not have seen a significant rise in infections in my town in the past three months? And in fact we haven't. Yes infections have risen as they have everywhere, but not dramatically.

Which means what? That the virus is not as infectious as is believed? That the asymptomatic are not as dangerous as is believed? That in fact schools are safe, controlled environments? And that perhaps there are other safe, controlled environments if only the Govt would let them operate.

I don't have the answers to those questions. And the fanatics won't like them. But the more open minded will consider them.

LOL, you still missing the point? Many people above told you some adults not smarter than children in the school and therefore outside of school real enforcement is also required.

Glad I'm providing you with entertainment and tbh I don't think you're making a valid point.

I never said that restrictions weren't necessary and that they shouldn't be enforced. But not level 5 which is stifling social and economic activity.

To continue the parallel between school and the wider world. In school we try to distance but there are too many of us and we don't have enough space but everybody tries. But what we do well is meticulous sanitising and constant mask wearing. In fact you don't have to enforce it on the kids, most are very compliant.

Which is basically what the wider world was doing in levels 2 and 3 in controlled environments. You can't control private homes and if people have nowhere else to go they will congregate in private homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

8 months into a once in a century pandemic

Where have I heard that before???

It seems to be the favourite catchphrase of the twitchers now.

Btw it’s been around longer than 9 months, humanity has been here for millennia so I doubt a tiny blip on our timeline is going to fundamentally change us very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

bladespin wrote: »
    There's still over a thousand people a day flying in but travel represents just over 1% of infections, foreign travel isn't the bogey man.

:pac:

If Vasile flew back to Drogheda from a wedding in Romania in August, and infected his wife, two kids and the three lads in the bin lorry he drives, those six cases are listed as being related to foreign travel.

If his kids infected their friends across the street, who then infected their parents, and their mother brought it in to the nursing home she works in, the 70 NH residents are not considered to have been travel related. Too many degrees of separation.

If his mates in the bin lorry spread it to their housemate who then went to work in a Louth meat plant and it ended up hitting 106 co workers, that is not counted as travel related. Too many degrees of separation.

There is a reason we went from circa 4- 10 cases per day in July to over 1000 a few weeks ago. It was not organic spread from the few dozen people who had Covid here in July.

There is also a reason why New Zealand, a similar sized island state, all but killed its own outbreak.

For whatever reason Tony Hoolohan has an absolute horn about keeping pubs closed, and always did, but gave at best a mild disapproval to our open borders which no matter what way the government tries lying to us are the sole cause of the October to present increase.

And what's your point? That they're all going around asymptomatic?

Some possibly are but if that were the case would we not have seen a significant rise in infections in my town in the past three months? And in fact we haven't. Yes infections have risen as they have everywhere, but not dramatically.

Which means what? That the virus is not as infectious as is believed? That the asymptomatic are not as dangerous as is believed? That in fact schools are safe, controlled environments? And that perhaps there are other safe, controlled environments if only the Govt would let them operate.

I don't have the answers to those questions. And the fanatics won't like them. But the more open minded will consider them.

Parents probably are asymtomatic as well.

• Advertisement

:pac:

If Vasile flew back to Drogheda from a wedding in Romania in August, and infected his wife, two kids and the three lads in the bin lorry he drives, those six cases are listed as being related to foreign travel.

If his kids infected their friends across the street, who then infected their parents, and their mother brought it in to the nursing home she works in, the 70 NH residents are not considered to have been travel related. Too many degrees of separation.

If his mates in the bin lorry spread it to their housemate who then went to work in a Louth meat plant and it ended up hitting 106 co workers, that is not counted as travel related. Too many degrees of separation.

There is a reason we went from circa 4- 10 cases per day in July to over 1000 a few weeks ago. It was not organic spread from the few dozen people who had Covid here in July.

There is also a reason why New Zealand, a similar sized island state, all but killed its own outbreak.

For whatever reason Tony Hoolohan has an absolute horn about keeping pubs closed, and always did, but gave at best a mild disapproval to our open borders which no matter what way the government tries lying to us are the sole cause of the October to present increase.

What an outlandish claim? That travel is the sole cause of the second wave in Ireland. Frankly laughable.:D:D:D:D:D:D. With nearly empty planes flying in and out of Ireland for several months and aviation on its knees and several regional airports closed as a result. But hey let's not let facts get in the way of a good old crazy story.:pac: And I notice not a single fact, statistic, link to substantiate your wild claims.

Also, has nobody told you that we are a very different animal to New Zealand!! We share a land border with the United Kingdom, we are citizens of Europe. Many people live in Ireland with family and loved ones in other countries.

People who shout hysterically about sealing borders and who demonise foreign travel are generally people that have everything they need in Ireland. All family here, job/livelihood here and probably not particularly interested in the wider world. And couldn't care less about the hardship inflicted on thousands if their wet dream was achieved and borders were sealed.

Thankfully, even our Govt aren't that crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

What an outlandish claim? That travel is the sole cause of the second wave in Ireland. Frankly laughable.:D:D:D:D:D:D. With nearly empty planes flying in and out of Ireland for several months and aviation on its knees and several regional airports closed as a result. But hey let's not let facts get in the way of a good old crazy story.:pac: And I notice not a single fact, statistic, link to substantiate your wild claims.

There was a six figure amount of people who flew into Ireland from our record flatline to when cases started climbing up again (mid August was it? A few days before pubs were due to fully re open).

Can't recall the figure but I think it was something like 300,000. We got to where we are by only a few hundred of these people having carried the virus.

Why the feck do you think it started back in meat plants? Summer holidays to East European states that largely avoided the first wave but had multiples of our rate in July/ August (Romania in particular)
    Also, has nobody told you that we are a very different animal to New Zealand!! We share a land border with the United Kingdom, we are citizens of Europe.

Oh yes. Sure didn't that genius Harris say closing the border in February was out of the question.

What are we at now, 22 billion debt? All in the name of licking the balls of our Brussels overlords.
    Many people live in Ireland with family and loved ones in other countries.

If they can't go six months without visiting them maybe they should fcuk off there permanently.
    People who shout hysterically about sealing borders and who demonise foreign travel are generally people that have everything they need in Ireland. All family here, job/livelihood here and probably not particularly interested in the wider world. And couldn't care less about the hardship inflicted on thousands if their wet dream was achieved and borders were sealed.

Thankfully, even our Govt aren't that crazy!

Lived abroad for five years. Don't particularly understand why I can't have a pint the last two months, and probably now until the vaccine comes on stream (5 months?!?) because Sorcha and Fionn needed their week away to their Provence farmhouse or because Florin needed to attend his dad's 60th in Moldova. Frankly if we don't get the pubs back before the rest of Europe I'll be flying abroad every other weekend until some degree of sanity prevails.

Bear in mind I, like most people now, know Covid is hysterical bollix being milked by the government for their own ends. But if we are going to treat it like Ebola maybe enact measures to suit same.

You can't control private homes and if people have nowhere else to go they will congregate in private homes.

Why not? If people cannot control themselves then neighbours will help them promptly calling gardai to the scene. Whole society will not become victim of few jerks who decided their social activity is stifled.

There was a six figure amount of people who flew into Ireland from our record flatline to when cases started climbing up again (mid August was it? A few days before pubs were due to fully re open).

Can't recall the figure but I think it was something like 300,000. We got to where we are by only a few hundred of these people having carried the virus.

Why the feck do you think it started back in meat plants? Summer holidays to East European states that largely avoided the first wave but had multiples of our rate in July/ August (Romania in particular)

Oh yes. Sure didn't that genius Harris say closing the border in February was out of the question.

What are we at now, 22 billion debt? All in the name of licking the balls of our Brussels overlords.

If they can't go six months without visiting them maybe they should fcuk off there permanently.

Lived abroad for five years. Don't particularly understand why I can't have a pint the last two months, and probably now until the vaccine comes on stream (5 months?!?) because Sorcha and Fionn needed their week away to their Provence farmhouse or because Florin needed to attend his dad's 60th in Moldova. Frankly if we don't get the pubs back before the rest of Europe I'll be flying abroad every other weekend until some degree of sanity prevails.

Bear in mind I, like most people now, know Covid is hysterical bollix being milked by the government for their own ends. But if we are going to treat it like Ebola maybe enact measures to suit same.

A load of hysterical ramblings, a definite anti foreign and anti travel tone but still no proof of your claims. Why am I not surprised! :rolleyes:

Why not? If people cannot control themselves then neighbours will help them promptly calling gardai to the scene. Whole society will not become victim of few jerks who decided their social activity is stifled.

And I guess you're the type of neighbour who'll promptly call the Gardai.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately there are loads like you around but thankfully you don't get to make the decisions.

And I guess you're the type of neighbour who'll promptly call the Gardai.:rolleyes:

At present our neighbourhood calling gardai for student parties. Nobody need them to spread covid here. If things will go worse then people will become more watchful.

Don't particularly understand why I can't have a pint the last two months

By the way i do not understand this too, are you younger than 21 and shops refusing to sell beer to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Unfortunately there are loads like you around but thankfully you don't get to make the decisions.

Please grow up a bit now. You are coming across like a twelve year old stamping their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

It is normal behaviour...in normal circumstances. These aren't normal circumstances, we are in a pandemic. Normal rules don't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Haven't been in any other households so I guess I am adhering to the rule, but it is more so that I haven't needed to be.

Meet the lads once a week for a lock in, in the local so I presume that is probably breaking a restriction or two so I went with the 4th option.

Advertisement