Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

Nobody wants this to go on forever. But what most of hours are at is actually making it far worse and messing things up for everyone. Whatever chance we had of a Christmas will be ruined by you all acting the **** now.

Approximately 30000 Irish people will die in 2021. That means that Christmas 2020 will literally be the last Christmas that thousands of families will have together.

Lots of children in Ireland are very sick and even terminally ill. Christmas 2020 could be the last chance they’ll ever have to get Santa presents.

I for one won’t be sacrificing this Christmas or any important dates on my calendar. Life is too short.

Approximately 30000 Irish people will die in 2021. That means that Christmas 2020 will literally be the last Christmas that thousands of families will have together.

Lots of children in Ireland are very sick and even terminally ill. Christmas 2020 could be the last chance they’ll ever have to get Santa presents.

I for one won’t be sacrificing this Christmas or any important dates on my calendar. Life is too short.

Just help spread it around so someone else doesn’t have that last Christmas instead. But at least yours will be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Just help spread it around so someone else doesn’t have that last Christmas instead. But at least yours will be good.

People die every day for a multitude of reasons, I guarantee you far more people died of cancer today than Covid.

I might have spread flu last year that killed someone.

I’m not sorry for breathing.

• Advertisement

People die every day for a multitude of reasons, I guarantee you far more people died of cancer today than Covid.

Your actions can’t help stop them dying of cancer though. You’ve been told what you can do to help slow the spread of this, quite clearly. So that’s the same rubbish argument now as it is any other time it’s used.

Your actions can’t help stop them dying of cancer though. You’ve been told what you can do to help slow the spread of this, quite clearly. So that’s the same rubbish argument now as it is any other time it’s used.

Will you lock yourself down permanently to avoid spreading flu or other contagious diseases?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

what gives him/her the right is that their actions can directly be the cause of lifelong illness or death for others - including those who have to put their life at risk to diagnose them, treat them, care for them and their infected family members, and bury them.

Nothing gives him the right! Nothing!

While I find it interesting that none of the zealots on this forum lay any blame on Govt/NPHET yet heap it in spades on ordinary people, I might be more sympathetic if this virus was as deadly as you like to make out. The fact is that the stats contradict your claims.

According to figures from the CSO, in the first wave 92% of deaths were in the over 65 age groups and 88% of those had underlying conditions. Wikipedia, whose data is more up to date, puts it more starkly citing 90% as over 65 with a big majority with underlying conditions and/or in care homes. Realistically most of the deaths were in the over 80 age bracket, see attached article where Ronan Glynn says as much. Also, in the first wave when most deaths occurred, 17 people under the age of 44 died [see attached stats] 17 in a population of 5 million!

In terms of hospitalisations and ICU numbers we have currently approx 250 people hospitalised with the virus and approx 35 in ICU.

More stats. To date there are 71.942 confirmed cases of Covid 19 in Ireland of which 2.050 have died, approx 3% We have a population of approx 5million.

So sorry to let the facts get in the way of your hysterics but the fact is that this is a disease with an extremely low mortality rate and a disease with negligible effects on the younger population. Yes all lives matter, but shutting down an entire society and economy which is what these blanket lockdowns do to save lives, many of whom have already exceeded life expectancy, is disproportionate. To prioritise Covid over a plethora of other physical and mental health issues is disproportionate.

And going back to the Govt/NPHET who we task to lead the way on this, why have they done nothing in all these months to increase hospital capacity?? Their only answer is blanket lockdowns 8 months on.

So I certainly don't blame ordinary people for trying to eek out some kind of normality in these terrible times. But I do blame the Govt/NPHET for not doing better.

And I despise the zealots with their hatred of people who are basically just trying to get on with living.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcases/

http://https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40057658.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Do you do the same in normal flu season? Lock yourself away in your house when you have a runny nose? You could potentially kill someone by passing the flu on. If you don’t, you are nothing but a hypocrite so don’t pontificate to the rest of us any further.

Will you lock yourself down permanently to avoid spreading flu or other contagious diseases?

We’re not asked to do so, just for this currently. If we have another pandemic down the line and are asked to do likewise then I will too.

You can’t have it every way. Do what you want, nobody can stop you, but there’s little use in getting annoyed when someone points out that you’re part of the problem. Using “peoples last christmas” as a thin veil to justify suiting yourself completely is a good one though. You’re all heart.

• Advertisement

We’re not asked to do so, just for this currently. If we have another pandemic down the line and are asked to do likewise then I will too.

You can’t have it every way. Do what you want, nobody can stop you, but there’s little use in getting annoyed when someone points out that you’re part of the problem. Using “peoples last christmas” as a thin veil to justify suiting yourself completely is a good one though. You’re all heart.

So you just do what you are asked without question then?

If we get a vaccine and Government still asked us to lockdown again next year to help prevent the spread of flu and Covid, would you do it?

So you just do what you are asked without question then?

If we get a vaccine and Government still asked us to lockdown again next year to help prevent the spread of flu and Covid, would you do it?

Yes, a vaccine won’t be an instant line drawn under all this and it’s extremely naive to think it will.

We’ll never have to do this for the regular flu or we would have done it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'm fed up with it. I'm fed up queueing to get into grocery shops .
    I'm fed up not being able to go to a lovely park 12 k away, instead making do with local park <2 k away, local cemetery or a local field if I'm feel like heading across town.

The queueing outside shops to maintain social distancing yet once inside it's everyone on top of everyone is illogical and makes the outside queueing pointless imo.

But as fed up as I am I still abide by the rules. It's the way to do it . I just hope this ends some day soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think they'll accept the hit even if you don't.

What do you mean by that? The 'hit' in my family would be my 90 year old nana catching the virus and dying. I don't think anyone is actually going to accept that hit. They might get blasé and say they're fine with it while visiting over Christmas. But if that visit results in dead loved ones come late-January, they'll spend the rest of their lives regretting not being able to hold off for maybe 8-10 more weeks, when the most vulnerable among us have been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

iguana wrote: »
    They might get blasé and say they're fine with it while visiting over Christmas. But if that visit results in dead loved ones come late-January, they'll spend the rest of their lives regretting not being able to hold off for maybe 8-10 more weeks, when the most vulnerable among us have been vaccinated.

I know about one covid-denier who have changed his mind after he brought the infection home and this killed his father... He changed his mind past this, but he cannot return father back and he does understand he was an idiot regardless friends do their best to do not show to him that they are also thinking he was an idiot.

iguana wrote: »
    What do you mean by that? The 'hit' in my family would be my 90 year old nana catching the virus and dying. I don't think anyone is actually going to accept that hit. They might get blasé and say they're fine with it while visiting over Christmas. But if that visit results in dead loved ones come late-January, they'll spend the rest of their lives regretting not being able to hold off for maybe 8-10 more weeks, when the most vulnerable among us have been vaccinated.

Whatever about what your family might do it's not realistic to expect entire populations to put their lives on indefinite hold for your 90 year old nana. In fact it's very selfish of you to expect it, likewise any family of vulnerable persons.

My own mother is 90 and she would be horrified to think that people had to put their life on hold for months or years just to keep her alive a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I haven't had an occasion to break any of the rules, being a hermit, so I cannot answer any of the questions!

;)

acequion wrote: »
    My own mother is 90 and she would be horrified to think that people had to put their life on hold for months or years just to keep her alive a bit longer.

If your life is seriously affected by current "restrictions" then you may be better to reconsider it

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

its like people on the dole and fraudently working.

we need to give the dole knowing that some people will follow the rules and only claim if they need it and arent working. But we know that alot of people will abuse the system. the alternative is having genuinely unemployed people starve to death.

for the lockdown, we need to ask people to stay at home and not have guests. but we know alot of people will abuse the system. the alternative is thousands of people needing ICU in the next week and dying.

and people who dont follow the dole rules arent following the covid rules. My neighbours are all claiming every social welfare allowance possible, while working as electricians and builders. And they seem to think this lockdown is a chance to have a party every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So a thread about observing households restrictions turns into a rant about Social Welfare. Incredible.

• Advertisement

for the lockdown, we need to ask people to stay at home and not have guests. but we know alot of people will abuse the system.

Just shoot them down. While government unable to enforce their own rules, citizens have to undertake something on their own to save lives of loved elderly ones.

So a thread about observing households restrictions turns into a rant about Social Welfare. Incredible.

It's a Boards version of Goodwin's Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Get over yourself would you and take your fanaticism and desire to control people elsewhere!

8 months into a once a century pandemic and it should be patently obvious that you cannot impose draconian anti social rules on human beings and expect them to comply long term. It simply won't happen. It's like asking them not to eat, not to sleep, not to obey bodily needs. You clearly don't understand human nature.

The smart way to do it is to use balance as they do in more enlightened places than Ireland. Where they allow people to live while also having protective restrictions.

The only reason this has gone on so long is because people haven't behaved.

What enlightened places which exhibit balance are you talking about? The ONLY thing that works is strict lockdown with border controp and subsequent lockdown easing...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Maturity is what some idiots are lacking. Probably missed their post Leaving Cert piss up god love them.

Rants are so obvious on this and the restrictions thread. Those who want everything need to grow the F up right now please.

The economy is in the same place as everywhere else around the World. Least of my worries, it will be sorted as always.

GROW UP fgs, some of you are making eejits out yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Rodin wrote: »
    The only reason this has gone on so long is because people haven't behaved.

You seriously think this?

bush wrote: »

Do you have any doubt?

The fanaticism on this thread is jaw dropping!

Thank heaven such fanatics don't hold positions of power!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

bush wrote: »
    That plus the government opening up too early last time and not having proper contact tracing and rigorous testing in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You’re quite the mé féinner yourself but as you clearly are so self engrossed and determined to piss away other peoples lives for your convenience there’s little point bothering with you. Your selfishness and repeated disregard for others welfare is appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I don't want to die but if I catch COVID I could either die from it or spend months recovering from it. If someone you know dies from it or ends suffering from Long COVID you will quickly change your tune.

Advertisement