Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

acequion wrote: »
    The fanaticism on this thread is jaw dropping!

Thank heaven such fanatics don't hold positions of power!

Would you describe the govts of Australia or New Zealand as fanatics?

Im sure the people don't give a xxxx when they can go about their lives and earn an income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Rodin wrote: »
    Would you describe the govts of Australia or New Zealand as fanatics?

Im sure the people don't give a xxxx when they can go about their lives and earn an income.

Are you a Zero Covid advocate and all it entails?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

skimpydoo wrote: »
    That plus the government opening up too early last time and not having proper contact tracing and rigorous testing in place.

You have to be joking, we had the slowest most drawn out easing of restrictions in the world for the first lockdown?

Also the reason we’re still in this position is because we don’t have a cure or a vaccine yet. Lockdown is not a cure, it’s just a suppressant. So regardless of how anyone behaves or how many restrictions we have, we won’t be out of this mess until the vaccine is rolled out.

I think it’s ironic that people think the best way to avoid a future lockdown is to stay in lockdown. That just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Especially considering it’s just a suppressant and the cases are going to yo-yo indefinitely until the majority of the population are vaccinated.

Are you a Zero Covid advocate and all it entails?

As much as possible yes...

Put simply, what we are doing isn't working... we aren't able to live our lives. We're headed for another lockdown in January

When the country opens up on the 18th, we'll be in a worse situation than we are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

SusieBlue wrote: »
    You have to be joking, we had the slowest most drawn out easing of restrictions in the world for the first lockdown?

Also the reason we’re still in this position is because we don’t have a cure or a vaccine yet. Lockdown is not a cure, it’s just a suppressant. So regardless of how anyone behaves or how many restrictions we have, we won’t be out of this mess until the vaccine is rolled out.

I think it’s ironic that people think the best way to avoid a future lockdown is to stay in lockdown. That just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Especially considering it’s just a suppressant and the cases are going to yo-yo indefinitely until the majority of the population are vaccinated.

Care to explain, Australia, Taiwan, and New Zealand to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭h2005

Do any of these have a land border with another country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I don't want to die but if I catch COVID I could either die from it or spend months recovering from it. If someone you know dies from it or ends suffering from Long COVID you will quickly change your tune.

0.03% death rate. 99.97% survival rate. Where are the 100000 deaths predicted back in March? 2000 which means they were 98% wrong. Masks social distancing handwashing restrictions etc are total rubbish. We are facing an economic disaster. 100000s unemployed thousands of businesses bust and then country will be billions in debt. The banks will go bust there will be mass evictions mass homelessness with entire families living on the street. They can wear masks and social distance in the wind and rain for Dr Tony

h2005 wrote: »

No.

But why does that mean we shouldn't force people coming in by plane or port to quarantine ?

Australia is divided into different territories each with its own separate health regimes.

0.03% death rate. 99.97% survival rate. Where are the 100000 deaths predicted back in March? 2000 which means they were 98% wrong. Masks social distancing handwashing restrictions etc are total rubbish. We are facing an economic disaster. 100000s unemployed thousands of businesses bust and then country will be billions in death. The banks will go bust there will be mass evictions mass homelessness with entire families living on the street. They can wear masks and social distance in the wind and rain for Dr Tony

The death rate isn't actually the most important thing
    Morbidity is always going to be more costly than mortality.

It's the number of days in a hospital bed and increasing infections amongst healthcare staff. Both of these have a huge knock on effect on the rest of the health service.
    Cancer screening, cancer surgeries, carduovascular surgery, outpatients...

• Advertisement

Australia is divided into different territories each with its own separate health regimes.

That’s be a no so

No.

But why does that mean we shouldn't force people coming in by plane or port to quarantine ?

I didn’t say we shouldn’t but what would stop people entering through the north?

0.03% death rate. 99.97% survival rate. Where are the 100000 deaths predicted back in March? 2000 which means they were 98% wrong. Masks social distancing handwashing restrictions etc are total rubbish. We are facing an economic disaster. 100000s unemployed thousands of businesses bust and then country will be billions in death. The banks will go bust there will be mass evictions mass homelessness with entire families living on the street. They can wear masks and social distance in the wind and rain for Dr Tony

The 0.03% death rate does not apply to me. It's much higher so please try taking that into account.

I should make it clear. I want the country open domestically.
    The cost to us of doing what we are doing now is much higher than if we quarantine people and enforce restrictions properly.

I didn’t say we shouldn’t but what would stop people entering through the north?

Flying in from London and hiring a car to go to Dublin because the Dublin-London flight isn't going?
    Many won't bother.

The golf in the autumn was switched from south to north but many flew in to Dublin anyway and travelled north as there are no direct flights from USA to N.Ireland... if we hadn't let them in they'd never have been in the country.

Where there's a will...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

None of those countries share an open boarder with another jurisdiction and none of those countries rely as heavy on international trade as we do so I’m failing to see any relevance being honest.
    We have very little in common with any of those countries.

And regardless, all it will take is one asymptotic case to start spreading the virus again over there. Which will result in more lockdowns for them too.
    If lockdowns ‘cured’ the virus that wouldn’t be a possibility, but it is.

We made excellent progress in the first lockdown, community transmission all but disappeared.
    We were reporting less than five cases a day and no deaths for many weeks of the summer and the minute restrictions were eased the cases went up again, because lockdown was only suppressing them.

So unless we stay in lockdown until the majority of the population are vaccinated, we need to make peace with the fact that if we are going to have a somewhat functioning society, the cases will go up too.

Of course, a functional track and trace system would greatly help with this, especially given the amount of money that has been invested in it, but it seems the government are less interested in that and more interested in shutting down the entire country for months on end rather than admit they f*cked up.

As much as possible yes...

Put simply, what we are doing isn't working... we aren't able to live our lives. We're headed for another lockdown in January

When the country opens up on the 18th, we'll be in a worse situation than we are today.

Firstly Zero Covid is a load of bollix' due to the shared border, there wouldn't be another lockdown extra restrictions possibly but the crap we experienced in March no even the level 5 crap allowed schools open, manufacturing and construction . Feel free to hide under your bed if you wish

Islands without a dual jurisdiction?

Firstly Zero Covid is a load of bollix' due to the shared border, there wouldn't be another lockdown extra restrictions possibly but the crap we experienced in March no even the level 5 crap allowed schools open, manufacturing and construction . Feel free to hide under your bed if you wish

It's a divan.

Simply put, what we're doing isn't working for our society. The cost is too high.

It's a divan.

Simply put, what we're doing isn't working for our society. The cost is too high.

Fine lock yourself in your bedroom untill you get a vaccine. Yes the cost is high and the younger generations will have to pay the bill. The elderly and PS sectors will be protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes, I am , so are all my family , friends and neighbours , but will be happy to be released from restrictions for Christmas , if still being cautious .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I've let the once in a century virus know about this and it says it'll go away till January 1st

In its own words:

"Ah sure go on then. It is Christmas after all"

And yet the virus won't get you if you're doing your grocery shopping, but woe betide you if you venture into the clothes section.

Or if you're having a pint you're screwed, unless you ordered a plate of chicken wings with it

:rolleyes:

Posts like the above are half the problem. Trying to be 'smart' but just exposing how ridiculous this nonsense is.

Besides, what's stopping you hiding away inside if that's what you want to do? Why the need to try and control everyone else's behaviour too? Why so upset that not everyone sees "the virus" as the same risk as you do?

We'd all be far better off if people looked after themselves based on their own circumstances and risk assessments, and everyone else minded their own business and did likewise.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And yet the virus won't get you if you're doing your grocery shopping, but woe betide you if you venture into the clothes section.

Or if you're having a pint you're screwed, unless you ordered a plate of chicken wings with it

:rolleyes:

Posts like the above are half the problem. Trying to be 'smart' but just exposing how ridiculous this nonsense is.

Besides, what's stopping you hiding away inside if that's what you want to do? Why the need to try and control everyone else's behaviour too? Why so upset that not everyone sees "the virus" as the same risk as you do?

We'd all be far better off if people looked after themselves based on their own circumstances and risk assessments, and everyone else minded their own business and did likewise.

That’s all under the false assumption that non risk people can’t spread the virus. Completely incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’ve an awful snotty nose the last week or so, is this a symptom of covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Penneys re-opening this week, bound to see a spike after the inevitable rush for new knickers and fluffy socks after they've been closed so long! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

begbysback wrote: »
    I’ve an awful snotty nose the last week or so, is this a symptom of covid?

Not so far but no doubt they’d test you anyway. Then they’d probably find a tiny minuscule trace of Covid, and hey presto, they can add your name to the daily numbers.

That’s all under the false assumption that non risk people can’t spread the virus. Completely incorrect.

Not according to that recent article in nature magazine.

Plus it's a virus that many have to be actually told they have before they realise it.

But again, what's stopping you from restricting yourself if that's what you feel necessary? Why the need to try and dictate the behaviour of others

Not according to that recent article in nature magazine.

Plus it's a virus that many have to be actually told they have before they realise it.

But again, what's stopping you from restricting yourself if that's what you feel necessary? Why the need to try and dictate the behaviour of others

Do you even realise what you’re going on about? That’s even more reason to follow restrictions and health advice.

Do you even realise what you’re going on about? That’s even more reason to follow restrictions and health advice.

You clearly missed the point I was making. If people have to be tested for this thing before they realise they have it then it's no threat to them.

"but what about others" right? Well luckily we know what demographic are actually at significant risk from this, and yes there'll be outliers too - but thankfully the stats are that the overwhelming majority of people will be just fine even if they do catch it.

As for the others, well lucky that we have a hospital system with very few ICU patients who have covid. Not so good though that many of the new cases are actually people who caught it in hospital while there for something unrelated.

Either way, it's no justification for imposing significant restrictions on 5 million people. The amount of people who are actually under any real threat from CV-19 is thankfully extremely low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

You clearly missed the point I was making. If people have to be tested for this thing before they realise they have it then it's no threat to them.

"but what about others" right? Well luckily we know what demographic are actually at significant risk from this, and yes there'll be outliers too - but thankfully the stats are that the overwhelming majority of people will be just fine even if they do catch it.

As for the others, well lucky that we have a hospital system with very few ICU patients who have covid. Not so good though that many of the new cases are actually people who caught it in hospital while there for something unrelated.

Either way, it's no justification for imposing significant restrictions on 5 million people. The amount of people who are actually under any real threat from CV-19 is thankfully extremely low

only for you have 23 thousand odd posts id call you a troll but the words selfish and bastard do come to mind.

the im alright jack attitude is very prevalent with this one.

Advertisement