Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

You’re quite the mé féinner yourself but as you clearly are so self engrossed and determined to piss away other peoples lives for your convenience there’s little point bothering with you. Your selfishness and repeated disregard for others welfare is appalling.

As I said in an earlier post, the fanaticism on this thread is jaw dropping. Fanatics also tend to be bullies and abusive as is evident in the above very personally abusive post which I promptly reported.

Fanatics cannot see any other point of view, they just attack and insult when challenged, so utterly pointless trying to debate with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

only for you have 23 thousand odd posts id call you a troll but the words selfish and bastard do come to mind.

the im alright jack attitude is very prevalent with this one.

No one is stopping you or anyone else from restricting your lives if you're actually at risk or live with/have someone who is (who should be doing likewise) but the vast majority of people in this country don't fit into that category and cannot be expected to sacrifice their livelihoods and mental health instead

Lockdown was to buy time to get the health service ramped up. Hasn't happened so now we're locking down to cover the incompetence of the HSE management and Government

What people like yourself seem to think is that "we're all in this together" means "everyone is in this with me and should take it as seriously (for whatever reason) as I do". This is not true and never was and personal abuse and tantrums won't change that I'm afraid!

We cannot run a country or economy on the basis of the needs of (thankfully) a very small number of people. They will need to take responsibility for their own safety and decisions before much longer and they will be supported in doing so as they should be - but that's as far as it'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No one is stopping you or anyone else from restricting your lives if you're actually at risk or live with/have someone who is (who should be doing likewise) but the vast majority of people in this country don't fit into that category and cannot be expected to sacrifice their livelihoods and mental health instead

Lockdown was to buy time to get the health service ramped up. Hasn't happened so now we're locking down to cover the incompetence of the HSE management and Government

What people like yourself seem to think is that "we're all in this together" means "everyone is in this with me and should take it as seriously (for whatever reason) as I do". This is not true and never was and personal abuse and tantrums won't change that I'm afraid!

We cannot run a country or economy on the basis of the needs of (thankfully) a very small number of people. They will need to take responsibility for their own safety and decisions before much longer and they will be supported in doing so as they should be - but that's as far as it'll go.

The people still supporting lockdowns are the ones with government jobs and no social life. If anyone wants to stay at home because they're afraid of the virus then go right ahead, the rest of us would like to get on with our lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

You clearly missed the point I was making. If people have to be tested for this thing before they realise they have it then it's no threat to them.

"but what about others" right? Well luckily we know what demographic are actually at significant risk from this, and yes there'll be outliers too - but thankfully the stats are that the overwhelming majority of people will be just fine even if they do catch it.

As for the others, well lucky that we have a hospital system with very few ICU patients who have covid. Not so good though that many of the new cases are actually people who caught it in hospital while there for something unrelated.

Either way, it's no justification for imposing significant restrictions on 5 million people. The amount of people who are actually under any real threat from CV-19 is thankfully extremely low

You and others in the anti restrictions brigade keep banging on about this. What actual evidence do you have that this is true?

What a **** attitude - if you don’t like Christmas fine but don’t look down your nose at the rest of us who have been in the same boat all year and want a break from this nonsense. Don’t worry, covid will still be here in the new year and we can all back to the gloom and doom from Jan 1st, but for Xmas, Covid and everything to do with it can **** right off.

I`m sure that the virus will take note of your comments and will **** right off........... not :rolleyes: Thanks to the actions of you and others like you then there will indeed be a return to level 5 restrictions in January and beyond. But then no doubt you and others like you will continue bleating on about the government/NPHET etc instead of taking personal responsibility for your own actions and the consequences of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I`m sure that the virus will take note of your comments and will **** right off........... not :rolleyes: Thanks to the actions of you and others like you then there will indeed be a return to level 5 restrictions in January and beyond. But then no doubt you and others like you will continue bleating on about the government/NPHET etc instead of taking personal responsibility for your own actions and the consequences of them.

You know absolutely nothing about me or how I am following restrictions currently so drop your high horse act thanks. There will be a return to level 5 either way so pretending that xmas is going to change that is completely pointless - it wouldn’t suit your hysteria to admit that though, easier to twitch your curtains and wag your finger at people isn’t it.

I’ll enjoy my Xmas going to see family (don’t worry, I don’t have any grandparents to kill before you whip that old ****e out next). Both households are and have been completely symptom free so I’m sure we will have a great day and enjoy ourselves. I hope you have the same level of joy hiding under your ****ing stairs....

I hope you realise the irony of that statement while you attack people who don't see the virus as the same threat as you do because they are statistically at very low risk of actually becoming sick from it or in many cases don't even realise they have it at all.

But again.. nothing stopping you from restricting your movements, isolating, wearing masks everywhere or anything else you want to do to feel safe. Your issue seems to be that you want everyone else to feel the same level of concern/threat/fear (delete as applicable) that you do - unfortunately that's just never going to happen.

You can't force people to be concerned about something that doesn't affect them or most people they know, nor can you expect them to be happy about having their lives or livelihoods restricted for the same reasons.

As I said, all the name-calling, attacks, tantrums and "sides" :rolleyes: in the world won't change that. It just shows the weakness of any counter-argument you might try to make.

You know absolutely nothing about me or how I am following restrictions currently so drop your high horse act thanks. There will be a return to level 5 either way so pretending that xmas is going to change that is completely pointless - it wouldn’t suit your hysteria to admit that though, easier to twitch your curtains and wag your finger at people isn’t it.

I’ll enjoy my Xmas going to see family (don’t worry, I don’t have any grandparents to kill before you whip that old ****e out next). Both households are and have been completely symptom free so I’m sure we will have a great day and enjoy ourselves. I hope you have the same level of joy hiding under your ****ing stairs....

Ah yes the old "curtain twiching" and "finger wagging" cliches are trotted out yet again. High time you guys came out with some new buzzwords. These ones are getting stale. Oh and for your information pal I don`t have any "****ing stairs" to hide under. Anyway I will leave you to to your celebrations and you can be assured that we will indeed be back in level 5 soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

you can be assured that we will indeed be back in level 5 soon.

Ye no matter what we do

I hope you realise the irony of that statement while you attack people who don't see the virus as the same threat as you do because they are statistically at very low risk of actually becoming sick from it or in many cases don't even realise they have it at all.

But again.. nothing stopping you from restricting your movements, isolating, wearing masks everywhere or anything else you want to do to feel safe. Your issue seems to be that you want everyone else to feel the same level of concern/threat/fear (delete as applicable) that you do - unfortunately that's just never going to happen.

You can't force people to be concerned about something that doesn't affect them or most people they know, nor can you expect them to be happy about having their lives or livelihoods restricted for the same reasons.

As I said, all the name-calling, attacks, tantrums and "sides" :rolleyes: in the world won't change that. It just shows the weakness of any counter-argument you might try to make.

Thanks for the Sunday sermon not that I haven`t read the same old comments posted by you a thousand times before now. And I still think that you are completely mistaken. Any way any chance you might reply to my post about wanting to see some evidence for your claim that that many Covid cases are acquired while in hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Thanks for the Sunday sermon not that I haven`t read the same old comments posted by you a thousand times before now. And I still think that you are completely mistaken. Any way any chance you might reply to my post about wanting to see some evidence for your claim that that many Covid cases are acquired while in hospital?

Have you missed the news of hospital outbreaks. Does Google not work for you?

Here you go...

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/22-patients-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-outbreak-at-dublin-hospital-1039335.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-outbreaks-in-three-hospitals-severely-curtail-services-1.4407667

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/south-dublin-hospital-reports-covid-19-outbreak-as-more-than-20-patients-test-positive-1.4414171

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1120/1179348-hospital-outbreak/

10 second Google.

Now, how about you address my points? What is wrong in the posts above?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

acequion wrote: »
    As I said in an earlier post, the fanaticism on this thread is jaw dropping. Fanatics also tend to be bullies and abusive as is evident in the above very personally abusive post which I promptly reported.

Fanatics cannot see any other point of view, they just attack and insult when challenged, so utterly pointless trying to debate with them.

there is having another point of view, and then stating out and out gibberish that the science and evidence has already debunked and which has already been explained in the various threads.
    when people keep posting alternative facts, misrepresent something to say something completely different and all else, it's not surprising people get annoyed.
    you have only yourselves to blame if people are getting annoyed at you posting alternative facts.

here are the actual facts.
    people at risk restricting themselves while the rest of us go about as normal spreading the virus is pointless and unworkable, this has already been explained.
    a high transmission rate and a high proportion of the virus in the community puts way, way more at risk of it then the current minimal restrictions and does not protect those who need to be protected.
    if we threw open the doors, the high likely hood is a lot more lively hoods, lives and actual mental health would be sacrificed and we would end up a total basket case, and for what? cause me wanna go on the razz in it? or cause da gubbament?
    we already know what happens when the virus is not controlled, what the anti-facts and reality crowd are looking for isn't deliverable in any real world and you all just need to knuckle down and deal with reality like the majority of us.
    lock down was to both not overload the health service and get case numbers and virus spread down to a very low level, we were never going to be able to simply increase the capacity of the health service that quick.
    we cannot run a country or economy on the basis of the needs of (thankfully) a very small number of people, and that is why we are engaging in restrictions, prepared to lock down if case numbers are at a stage where there is a risk of losing control of the spread, etc.
    they will need to take responsibility for their safety yada yada does sweet FA when the virus transmission rate and spread isn't controlled, such people are already taking such responsibility as it is and it can work currently for them because the spread is being controlled and minimised, all the supports we like can be put in for such people but let it rip equals fail, it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how much some want it to be otherwise reality is reality and a small minority aren't dealing with reality and are in turn prolonging the very things they are whining about.
    you aren't going to get what you want, government and nphet are quite rightly not going to listen to alternative facts, especially when those alternative facts have already been debunked.
    Aph2016 wrote: »
    The people still supporting lockdowns are the ones with government jobs and no social life. If anyone wants to stay at home because they're afraid of the virus then go right ahead, the rest of us would like to get on with our lives.

this is just a sound bite with nothing to back it up and already has been discredited really.
    it gives people comfort to believe that support for reality or support for non-reality is based on what job or what situation one is in, but it's not based in reality.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭global23214124

I've a couple of friends houses that I visit every other week. That behaviour hasn't changed and it I'll continue to do so regardless of restrictions. Before Xmas I'll probably keep to myself for two weeks and get a private test before I go back home to stay with Family as they are older. The thoughts of going from into lockdown for every 2 months doesn't make much sense for my mental health so **** that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

0.03% death rate. 99.97% survival rate. Where are the 100000 deaths predicted back in March? 2000 which means they were 98% wrong.

deaths aren't what they could have been because we controlled it.
    it doesn't mean they were wrong in terms of what the death rate could have been if we didn't control it.
    even with a high survival rate, we know there are quite a number of cases of recovery with long term effects.
    in short none of us would want to get it, even if we may recover perfectly fine from it, because none of us can say with any certainty what so ever that we may not end up with effects from it.
    Masks social distancing handwashing restrictions etc are total rubbish.

the statement that they are total rubbish dispite the fact they work is what is total rubbish.

[QUOTE=Samsonsmasher;115454458)We are facing an economic disaster. 100000s unemployed thousands of businesses bust and then country will be billions in debt. The banks will go bust there will be mass evictions mass homelessness with entire families living on the street. They can wear masks and social distance in the wind and rain for Dr Tony[/QUOTE]

yes, sadly there will be some businesses which will go bust, yes there will sadly be some unemployment, sadly some may even lose their homes unfortunately.
    but the likely hood is it will be nothing near what you claim, and reality is economic issues were happening due to this anyway.
    the approach we have taken likely will minimise the economic damage in reality as plenty of businesses are being kept afloat with supports.
    the economy was also in good shape before this so that will help quite a bit.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Besides, what's stopping you hiding away inside if that's what you want to do? Why the need to try and control everyone else's behaviour too? Why so upset that not everyone sees "the virus" as the same risk as you do?

We'd all be far better off if people looked after themselves based on their own circumstances and risk assessments, and everyone else minded their own business and did likewise.

I've mostly stayed away from these threads out of sheer frustration at attitudes like these, because I do find them upsetting.

This is where I have the problem. You don't see taking a risk with Covid19 as an issue, as you believe you are not at risk, and basically, why should you care about anyone else. You are not worried about transmission rates and cases going up again because again as if you do catch it, you believe you will be fine, and the majority will be fine.

Yet, to someone who is at high risk, the more cases, the higher the chance of coming into contact with the virus, and that does matter when you are doing all you can to try to avoid infection.

You ask, Why the need to try and control everyone else's behaviour?

Simple answer. To minimise transmission and keep numbers of cases down, and lower that risk. We've already seen how quickly they can rise. And the more people ignore the restrictions and behave however they want, the more cases, and the longer the restrictions will have to continue. Its dragging this out for everyone.

So your solution is for those who are vulnerable to isolate themselves and everyone to mind their own business. Where is the concern for the mental health of those who are at risk in that, though it is constantly trotted out as a reason against restrictions for everyone else?

Telling people to "mind their own business" is just being dismissive of anyone outside your own personal circle. Its ignoring everyone else.

Unfortunately, not everyone who is at risk has the option to lock themselves away. You say "they will be supported" but how? Who is going to support them? You? Not everyone has families who can support them. Not everyone can get groceries delivered to their door. Not everyone has an employer who will allow them to work from home. Many still have to go out to work and go out for essential needs and every time they do their risk of coming into contact with the virus is increased because they have to interact with people whose attitude is they don't care about the risk of Covid anymore.

At this stage, I don't see it as trying to protect myself from the virus so much anymore - I am taking "personal responsibility" and doing all i can on that front by wearing a mask, sanitising my hands, and if I do have to set foot outside my front door its for a genuinely essential reason and I keep distance. social

The greatest risk factor I see now is protecting myself against others with an attitude such as yourself, who don't see why they should care about the risk to anyone outside their own circle, and THAT is the bit that upsets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

And yet the virus won't get you if you're doing your grocery shopping, but woe betide you if you venture into the clothes section.

Or if you're having a pint you're screwed, unless you ordered a plate of chicken wings with it

:rolleyes:

That doesn't warrant a reply

You're lacking the intelligence to understand this situation

Do you even realise what you’re going on about? That’s even more reason to follow restrictions and health advice.

He doesn't

The scary thing is there's many like him out there

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    He doesn't

It’s long been the scariest thing about all this. The uninformed, the stupid, and the defiant. All the more reason for the decent to do all they can and see this out.

He doesn't

The scary thing is that there's many like you out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

My sister was in Grafton St earlier this afternoon and she said it was jammers. Lots of people not wearing masks and lots of families out too. She also noticed people sitting and standing eating ice creams and McDonalds.

To those of you advocating that we get back to normal, do you think what my sister saw is ok?

I've mostly stayed away from these threads out of sheer frustration at attitudes like these, because I do find them upsetting.

This is where I have the problem. You don't see taking a risk with Covid19 as an issue, as you believe you are not at risk, and basically, why should you care about anyone else. You are not worried about transmission rates and cases going up again because again as if you do catch it, you believe you will be fine, and the majority will be fine.

Yet, to someone who is at high risk, the more cases, the higher the chance of coming into contact with the virus, and that does matter when you are doing all you can to try to avoid infection.

Simple answer. To minimise transmission and keep numbers of cases down, and lower that risk. We've already seen how quickly they can rise. And the more people ignore the restrictions and behave however they want, the more cases, and the longer the restrictions will have to continue. Its dragging this out for everyone.

So your solution is for those who are vulnerable to isolate themselves and everyone to mind their own business. Where is the concern for the mental health of those who are at risk in that, though it is constantly trotted out as a reason against restrictions for everyone else?

Telling people to "mind their own business" is just being dismissive of anyone outside your own personal circle. Its ignoring everyone else.

Unfortunately, not everyone who is at risk has the option to lock themselves away. You say "they will be supported" but how? Who is going to support them? You? Not everyone has families who can support them. Not everyone can get groceries delivered to their door. Not everyone has an employer who will allow them to work from home. Many still have to go out to work and go out for essential needs and every time they do their risk of coming into contact with the virus is increased because they have to interact with people whose attitude is they don't care about the risk of Covid anymore.

At this stage, I don't see it as trying to protect myself from the virus so much anymore - I am taking "personal responsibility" and doing all i can on that front by wearing a mask, sanitising my hands, and if I do have to set foot outside my front door its for a genuinely essential reason and I keep distance. social

The greatest risk factor I see now is protecting myself against others with an attitude such as yourself, who don't see why they should care about the risk to anyone outside their own circle, and THAT is the bit that upsets me.

You see your intentions are noble and all but your end game is implausible. You essentially want everyone restricted under the guise that someone in the at risk or elderly category might catch it because they are going about their business. That is an unachievable goal because even with a vaccine, we have a cohort in this country who won’t take it - therefore the country will never be covid free 100% and there will always be a risk to those groups. Do we all stay locked down until all of the elderly/at risk have died from natural/non covid cases???

We’ve reached a point where personal responsibility has to come in to play and society has to reopen - you simply cannot expect 95% of the population to remain in perpetual lockdowns because someone might catch it who it will kill. It’s an idealistic scenario but simply fairy tale stuff. That sounds brutal but it’s the truth at this point.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    My sister was in Grafton St earlier this afternoon and she said it was jammers. Lots of people not wearing masks and lots of families out too. She also noticed people sitting and standing eating ice creams and McDonalds.

To those of you advocating that we get back to normal, do you think what my sister saw is ok?

It’s the very same as the dregs just watched Michael Martin the other evening and all they heard was “blah blah blah do whatever the **** you like, it’s christmas, blah blah. Been like that the whole way through this.

It’s long been the scariest thing about all this. The uninformed, the stupid, and the defiant. All the more reason for the decent to do all they can and see this out.

Wow just wow!! The "decent" no less :pac: Has to be in line for virtue signalling comment of the week.:pac:

What you consider "decent" is what I would call angry, self righteous, sanctimonious, bullying, narrow minded, incapable of seeing another viewpoint, I could go on.

But I guess you could never comprehend that people can interpret things very differently.

Wow just wow!! The "decent" no less :pac: Has to be in line for virtue signalling comment of the week.:pac:

What you consider "decent" is what I would call angry, self righteous, sanctimonious, bullying, narrow minded, incapable of seeing another viewpoint, I could go on.

But I guess you could never comprehend that people can interpret things very differently.

That’d only because you don’t agree so you can make up all those names. But you’re wrong and that can’t be denied. 100% wrong.

The scary thing is that there's many like you out there!

Hopefully we outnumber the likes of you

This is a country that gave us Yeats and Trinity college. Yet in 2020 you've entitled adults in it wanting to celebrate Christmas normally during a once in a century pandemic

And, let's be honest, the pathetic fascination the Irish have with alcohol is a big part of this "celebration"

You've grown men on the Pubs thread here going on - legitimately - like 4 year olds because they can't go play with their pals in the local

It would be darkly hilarious if it wasn't so serious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

skimpydoo wrote: »

No, definitely not ok!

But the issue here is why didn't you alert the nearest members of the Garda Public order unit? They should have went in with batons, riot gear and tear gas to bundle those ice-cream eating scofflaws into the back of an unmarked van to be taken off to a re-education centre until they think like you!

Hopefully we outnumber the likes of you

This is a country that gave us Yeats and Trinity college. Yet in 2020 you've entitled adults in it wanting to celebrate Christmas normally during a once in a century pandemic

And, let's be honest, the pathetic fascination the Irish have with alcohol is a big part of this "celebration"

You've grown men on the Pubs thread here going on - legitimately - like 4 year olds because they can't go play with their pals in the local

It would be darkly hilarious if it wasn't so serious
    You’ve also got grown men here who have been brow beaten in to thinking this is normality now and haven’t a backbone between them to believe otherwise. Too many people stuck in the March mindset - we know a lot more about this virus 9 months later and one of those things is that it is far less lethal or dangerous than initially believed. But continue to peddle the same old ****e lads and Mehole or Tony might give ye a pat on the back for it...

I'm sorry that you're upset but I really think you're setting yourself up for more upset and disappointment by not accepting that you just cannot control the behaviour of others.

People are essentially good natured and people will, as has been proved, make sacrifices for others. But they will not do so indefinitely. Nor will they agree to huge financial suffering for a disease that poses so little threat to the majority. Some pages back I posted stats which evidence this low risk. If that makes people selfish, though I don't think it does, then so be it. It is a facet of human nature that people think of themselves and their loved ones first and foremost. You may not like that but I'm afraid you can't change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    No, definitely not ok!

But the issue here is why didn't you alert the nearest members of the Garda Public order unit? They should have went in with batons, riot gear and tear gas to bundle those ice-cream eating scofflaws into the back of an unmarked van to be taken off to a re-education centre until they think like you!

How can I alert them when I wasn't there. My sister was there and she is not a happy camper with what she saw.

Advertisement