Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’m not asking covid to acknowledge it, I’m asking those who are finger wagging at people out enjoying a coffee to acknowledge it instead of begrudging them a harmless walk to see the Christmas lights.

Lol, i afraid on some stage "people out enjoying a coffee" will be simply beaten by public because they are endangering society for no reason.

@susieblue, and you have clearly probably deliberately misinterpreted mine.

Nowhere have I called anyone "selfish grannykillers" or any such thing, yet you choose to throw personal insults instead of addressing what I actually said.

I'm not interested in a debate about who has lost the most in the last 9 months, but I have never been dismissive of yours or anyone losses, the way you have just dismissed mine.

I'll leave it there, in the interests of staying civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Thats me wrote: »
    Lol, i afraid on some stage "people out enjoying a coffee" will be simply beaten by public because they are endangering society for no reason.

There is very very little evidence of any transmission of the virus in outdoor settings and they aren’t endangering anyone, let alone the whole of society.

Maybe we should go back to fantasising about the army performing roadside executions or water cannoning them (these seem to be the punishments of choice bandied about of late) to teach them not to dare go out in the fresh air ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

You are going down a dangerous road wishing violence on people for not following regulations. If someone like you ever stops me for “having a coffee” and attempts to berate or attack me, god help you because the gardai won’t get there fast enough, that’s all I will say.

@susieblue, and you have clearly probably deliberately misinterpreted mine.

Nowhere have I called anyone "selfish grannykillers" or any such thing, yet you choose to throw personal insults instead of addressing what I actually said.

I'm not interested in a debate about who has lost the most in the last 9 months, but I have never been dismissive of yours or anyone losses, the way you have just dismissed mine.

I'll leave it there, in the interests of staying civil.

I haven’t thrown any personal insults whatsoever, you are the one who stated that those who want restrictions eased don’t care about others, and that it’s worth it to them to have the cases go up if they get to have their fun over Christmas, which is grossly unfair.

The point I was making was that we are all suffering, we are all sacrificing, and we are all simply trying to act in our own best interests. That everyone’s struggles are valid and worthy of consideration.
    And that we all need to acknowledge that instead of one group thinking the other is a bunch of granny killers and the other thinking they’re a bunch dramatic hypochondriacs.
    But that was clearly lost on you because you have taken that as an insult when that wasn’t my intention at all.

But I agree, let’s leave it there seeing as we keep misunderstanding each other.

• Advertisement

You are going down a dangerous road wishing violence

You are going down a dangerous road trying to attach this wishing to me. Human societies are existing for quite a long time on the earth, so it is not difficult to predict potential paths of how situation will develop.

@susieblue, you went off on a complete rant at me, using words like "terrified of the virus" and wanting lockdowns to continue for my benefit, and basically accusing me of only acting in my own best interests, and frankly, I don't appreciate it.

That is NOT what I am about, has never been what I am about, and is why I stopped bothering with threads like this.

Finally,
    I believe over a million infections and 150k+ deaths were predicted back in March, so no, it’s absolutely not as deadly as first thought.
    We were lead to believe that young healthy people would be dropping like flies in their hundreds of thousands and that simply hasn’t materialised.

The reasons why we did not have a higher infection and death rate and were not overwhelmed, is because of the restrictions that were put in place.

Not because by some miracle, Irish people were more resistant to Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Live and let live, be responsible and adhere to the guidelines in place as best as YOU *reasonably can. It's not really that difficult.

If someone else and their family is out having a coffee, so be it.

@susieblue, you went off on a complete rant at me, using words like "terrified of the virus" and wanting lockdowns to continue for my benefit, and basically accusing me of only acting in my own best interests, and frankly, I don't appreciate it.

That is NOT what I am about, has never been what I am about, and is why I stopped bothering with threads like this.

Finally,

The reasons why we did not have a higher infection and death rate and were not overwhelmed, is because of the restrictions that were put in place.

Not because by some miracle, Irish people were more resistant to Covid.

Nope, I said we are all acting in our best interests, myself included (not just you), and I want lockdown to end cause it’s not benefitting me just as you want it to continue because it is benefiting you.
    I don’t know why you’re taking so much offence to this when I clearly said that everyone is just trying to do what’s best for themselves.

At no point were the hospitals overwhelmed, even just before we went into this lockdown. ICU was at nowhere near capacity.
    The majority of deaths have unfortunately been elderly people with underlying conditions, this is obviously awful but in no way similar to the picture of thousands of young people in their 20’s dropping dead that was promised back in March.
    The experts were very thankfully very wrong in that regard and I for one am very grateful that it’s nowhere near as lethal and deadly as first feared.
    That doesn’t mean that I think it’s ok for the elderly to die, I just think more effort needs to be put into protecting them in the nursing homes and hospitals (where the virus is rampant and out of control regardless of the lockdown) rather than locking down the whole country.

Unfortunately, Covid19 can't read your post, Susie, and "acknowledge your sacrifice" and just decide to feck off and give us all a break from it all for the Christmas season.

I don't see how anyone has "benefitted" from this pandemic - I personally may not have lost my job, but I have lost my mother to covid already. I have had my fair share of hospital appointments cancelled which impact on the very conditions that put me at higher risk, and am struggling with my own mental health and loneliness issues. I haven't been able to see my friends or siblings for months (the last time at our mother's socially distanced funeral) or my GP since February, as they are not allowing face to face consultations. Trust me, I'm not sitting here just enjoying the restrictions at all. .

So in turn, please do not sneer at those of us who are genuinely, authentically worried about what could happen if we contracted this virus - or accuse us of having ulterior motives. The virus is still as lethal as it was back in March, the only thing that has kept it in check are the ongoing restrictions.

I dread to see what the numbers will be like in mid january after a couple of weeks of christmas house parties.

But sure, if you're young and not at risk, why should you care?

A few weeks back you were on here saying you were at a shopping centre doing click and collect, going to Costa for a coffee and then McDonald’s....

Stop with the do gooder nonsense. You could have easily spread Covid getting your non essential coffee...

• Advertisement

Nope, I said we are all acting in our best interests, myself included (not just you), and I want lockdown to end cause it’s not benefitting me just as you want it to continue because it is benefiting you.
    I don’t know why you’re taking so much offence to this when I clearly said that everyone is just trying to do what’s best for themselves.

Speak for yourself.

I have always acted in what I believed to be in everyone's best interest and NOT just my own. Nor have I said I wanted the lockdown to continue for my benefit.

But, its always good to know what you're dealing with, and you've proved my earlier point on why high risk people will need to remain vigilant.

Its because people like you have given up on trying to keep tranmission down. Why? Because apparently, it's of "no benefit" to you, to do so.

Remember that when you're complaining about your hospital appointments being cancelled again, next year.

Speak for yourself.

I have always acted in what I believed to be in everyone's best interest and NOT just my own. Nor have I said I wanted the lockdown to continue for my benefit.

But, its always good to know what you're dealing with, and you've proved my earlier point on why high risk people will need to remain vigilant.

Its because people like you have given up on trying to keep tranmission down. Why? Because apparently, it's of "no benefit" to you, to do so.

Remember that when you're complaining about your hospital appointments being cancelled again, next year.

So we’re back to you sanctimoniously pontificating from your high horse about how you’re morally superior to me and everyone else because we want restrictions eased and understand why some people who are not high risk are bending the rules.

Clear to see you didn’t take a thing I said about acknowledging everyone’s struggles on board and have gone back to the finger wagging ‘people like you’ style of accusations.
    Well two can play that game.
    ‘People like you’ are resigning families to financial ruin and poverty, stealing young people’s futures from them (we’re currently at 45% youth unemployment), causing massive mental health issues, and causing thousands of indirect future deaths from the missed hospital appointments and consultations because of the health service being run at a reduced capacity because of lockdown.
    It’s easy to point the finger and not see things from other people’s perspective isn’t it?

Everyone’s just doing their best. No one is going about their business with the intention of spreading the virus and killing people.

A few weeks back you were on here saying you were at a shopping centre doing click and collect, going to Costa for a coffee and then McDonald’s....

Stop with the do gooder nonsense. You could have easily spread Covid getting your non essential coffee...

Let me fill in the parts that you left out, shall I? Because context, which you left out, matters.

Just a few weeks ago I was here saying I was at a shopping centre doing click and collect - for groceries, collection in the car park outdoors, as I cannot get deliveries where I live.

Going to Costa - which I posted about having to leave, as I got nervous due to other customers acting irresponsibly and non mask compliance

and going to McDonalds - going to their drive thru window, for a take away coffee, which is practically contactless.

Nice to know that you will admonish a high risk person for trying to get a take away coffee once a week.

But let me guess, you'll probably argue that all the pubs should be open, and I should lock myself indoors, so that you can go out and drink yourself stupid?

What a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Speak for yourself.

100% correct.
    as i said either in this thread or the relaxation thread, people really need to start dealing with and accepting reality.
    the restrictions are about so much more then simply protecting people vulnerable to the virus, they are about protecting us all by preventing knock on effects due to melt downs of public services because they cannot cope with the case numbers, mostly the health system but certainly other systems won't be immune either.
    you cannot protect what needs to be protected without restricting us all, this has already been established a plenty and it's time for people to get with the real world.
    if having no restrictions and no lock down protected the vulnerable, protected public services, and minimised virus spread then that is the approach we would be taking. it doesn't, so we aren't taking it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Speak for yourself.

This is the problem with the pro lockdown crowd - you talk to that poster like she is part of a hive mind or has done something wrong. It’s a disgusting attitude to have and I have no qualms saying it to you. We have all done our part for the last 9 months. Admittedly we’ve all seen the scumbag anti mask crowds and general degenerates who never followed any guidelines from day 1, but the majority followed the rules - they kept distance, they wore masks, washed hands and continue to do so - but we’ve now reached a point where even some of them are sick of these restrictions and continued oppression of normal lives.

The way you and others on this thread talk is despicable - people are completely allowed to have a breaking point where they say enough is enough. I don’t care what Tony or Mehole says, not all of us have to nod along in agreement. There are also those of us who have nothing to worry about in regards to transmission - I personally don’t venture out unless essential, and my family are the same. We are both covid free and looking forward to sharing our Christmas together. There’s no grandparents involved and even if covid somehow made an appearance (which it won’t) nobody in my circle is going to die from it.

That’s the fact for a lot of us - we don’t have the added worry of vulnerable or elderly to account for and we want some resemblance of normality back. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that - we won’t be around your house breathing in to your granny’s face or interacting with you in anyway at all, yet some posters here would paint these people as the devil. It’s a disgusting attitude to have - like they are somehow better because they are isolating themselves away from everyone for Xmas and hate the fact that some people will be trying to have one as close to normal as possible. Every one of those miserable bastards can **** off.

Let me fill in the parts that you left out, shall I? Because context, which you left out, matters.

Just a few weeks ago I was here saying I was at a shopping centre doing click and collect - for groceries, collection in the car park outdoors, as I cannot get deliveries where I live.

Going to Costa - which I posted about having to leave, as I got nervous due to other customers acting irresponsibly and non mask compliance

and going to McDonalds - going to their drive thru window, for a take away coffee, which is practically contactless.

Nice to know that you will admonish a high risk person for trying to get a take away coffee once a week.

But let me guess, you'll probably argue that all the pubs should be open, and I should lock myself indoors, so that you can go out and drink yourself stupid?

What a hero.

You literally just posted that you always act in everybody’s best interests...

Getting your non essential coffee suggests otherwise.

So we’re back to you sanctimoniously pontificating from your high horse about how you’re morally superior to me and everyone else because we want restrictions eased and understand why some people who are not high risk are bending the rules.

Clear to see you didn’t take a thing I said about acknowledging everyone’s struggles on board and have gone back to the finger wagging ‘people like you’ style of accusations.
    Well two can play that game.
    ‘People like you’ are resigning families to financial ruin and poverty, stealing young people’s futures from them (we’re currently at 45% youth unemployment), causing massive mental health issues, and causing thousands of indirect future deaths from the missed hospital appointments and consultations because of the health service being run at a reduced capacity because of lockdown.
    It’s easy to point the finger and not see things from other people’s perspective isn’t it?

Everyone’s just doing their best. No one is going about their business with the intention of spreading the virus and killing people.

Look, SusieBlue, you've openly posted that you're only interested in your acting in your own best interests and you only care about what benefits you.

So now you need to stop pontificating like you care about anyone else.

You dont. Own it.

End of.

Thats all I need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Look, SusieBlue, you've openly posted that you're only interested in your acting in your own best interests and you only care about what benefits you.

You dont. Own it.

End of.

All the toys out of the pram now are they? Or have you yet to stomp on them?

You're completely twisting that poster's words, being manipulative, disingenuous and bullying. That poster explained herself very clearly and articulately and also with compassion and sensitivity to where you're coming from. Such a pity you can't return that basic courtesy.

You really are out of order and it's horrible to see.

This is the problem with the pro lockdown crowd - you talk to that poster like she is part of a hive mind or has done something wrong. It’s a disgusting attitude to have and I have no qualms saying it to you. We have all done our part for the last 9 months. Admittedly we’ve all seen the scumbag anti mask crowds and general degenerates who never followed any guidelines from day 1, but the majority followed the rules - they kept distance, they wore masks, washed hands and continue to do so - but we’ve now reached a point where even some of them are sick of these restrictions and continued oppression of normal lives.

The way you and others on this thread talk is despicable - people are completely allowed to have a breaking point where they say enough is enough. I don’t care what Tony or Mehole says, not all of us have to nod along in agreement. There are also those of us who have nothing to worry about in regards to transmission - I personally don’t venture out unless essential, and my family are the same. We are both covid free and looking forward to sharing our Christmas together. There’s no grandparents involved and even if covid somehow made an appearance (which it won’t) nobody in my circle is going to die from it.

That’s the fact for a lot of us - we don’t have the added worry of vulnerable or elderly to account for and we want some resemblance of normality back. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that - we won’t be around your house breathing in to your granny’s face or interacting with you in anyway at all, yet some posters here would paint these people as the devil. It’s a disgusting attitude to have - like they are somehow better because they are isolating themselves away from everyone for Xmas and hate the fact that some people will be trying to have one as close to normal as possible. Every one of those miserable bastards can **** off.

And I, am equally appalled and disgusted by people with attitudes like yours.

Someday, you will be that vulnerable person, or will be caring for that vulnerable person.

I hope it keeps fine for you.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Live and let live, be responsible and adhere to the guidelines in place as best as YOU *reasonably can. It's not really that difficult.

If someone else and their family is out having a coffee, so be it.

Someone else and their family can easily have their coffee at their home. It is not essential need to bring themselves with their viruses into public places in mid of epidemics to have a coffee. Only lunatic would think opposite.

• Advertisement

You literally just posted that you always act in everybody’s best interests...
    Getting your non essential coffee suggests otherwise.

no, their post doesn't suggest otherwise, your deliberate misinterpretation of it might but the reality one doesn't.

Someday, you will be that vulnerable person, or will be caring for that vulnerable person.

Hopefully you don’t come into contact with those vulnerable people after you’ve been in Costa.

no, their post doesn't suggest otherwise, your deliberate misinterpretation of it might but the reality one doesn't.

What’s there to misinterpret?

She was at a shopping centre giving out about other people at the shopping centre. She was in Costa giving about other people been in Costa...

Typical Pro lockdowner. Happy to impose restrictions on people so she can do as she pleases

You dont. Own it.

End of.

What an absolutely pathetic post and a lame attempt at gaslighting.
    You need to get over this illusion that leads you to believe that you care about people more than I do just because you want to lock them down indefinitely to ‘save’ them for the virus. Or save yourself from it, which you still seem to be in denial about.

I care about people plenty, I just don’t have tunnel vision with one issue like you do.
    Mental health, other healthcare, finances, employment and socialisation are just as important when it comes to a persons long term wellbeing.
    After 9 months of restrictions all of those things are extremely relevant and worthy of consideration.

Everyone has their breaking point and everyone has a limit at which they can’t sacrifice any more for the benefit of others.
    I fully understand why people who are not at high risk to that virus are desperately trying to claw back some sort of normality.
    I think it’s sad that you begrudge them that rather than take responsibility for your own well-being.

I suggest you try to have some compassion for those who have had their world upended to protect people like you, while you swan off for non essential Costa coffees while having the cheek to wag the finger at others on the internet.

Do as I say and not as I do, am I right?

acequion wrote: »
    All the toys out of the pram now are they? Or have you yet to stomp on them?

You're completely twisting that poster's words, being manipulative, disingenuous and bullying. That poster explained herself very clearly and articulately and also with compassion and sensitivity to where you're coming from. Such a pity you can't return that basic courtesy.

You really are out of order and it's horrible to see.

sorry but this is absolute nonsense.

Someone else and their family can easily have their coffee at their home. It is not essential need to bring themselves with their viruses into public places in mid of epidemics to have a coffee. Only lunatic would think opposite.

Tell your buddy Loueze that.

What’s there to misinterpret?

She was at a shopping centre giving out about other people at the shopping centre. She was in Costa giving about other people been in Costa...

Typical Pro lockdowner. Happy to impose restrictions on people so she can do as she pleases

you took her post out of context and misinterpreted it.
    she picked you up on it and you have twice doubled down.
    you got caught out, own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

Think it’s you who needs to do that. You want 5 million people to curtail their actions for 1-2 years because it suits yourself.

And on the other hand, people want restrictions lifted as they’re not affected by the virus to suit themselves. The thing is, there is really no onus on the non-affected to care about the affected at all. As things drag on, those people (who are the majority) will lose interest and want their lives to return to normal. At which point it will be up to the affected to look after themselves.

you took her post out of context and misinterpreted it.
    she picked you up on it and you have twice doubled down.
    you got caught out, own it.

Hahaha, I have no idea what you are on about and I suspect you don’t either.

She admitted to been in Costa.

No more context needed.

• Advertisement

If my auntie had bollix she’d be my uncle.....

Advertisement