Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

skimpydoo wrote: »
    So even though we were told to wear masks outdoors, people didn't. Do you call that living their lives? Is wearing a mask a major inconvenience?

Told? Do we live in a dictatorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I reply as I read the thread. Not all of us spend 24/7 in here. Replying to something from yesterday is hardly “resurrecting” it. You’d swear it was from months ago.

Fair enough . I certainly don't but knew that was yesterday and thought it was a bit cruel then
    Maybe you just saw one of the other posters repeating it as some tend to do , when they think it's a laugh . ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

“And then they didn’t happen again” - hahahahahahaha do you think they all happened on the same evening??

No. Where did I say that they happened all on the same evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Told? Do we live in a dictatorship?

Did I say we did?

Are you ok with people in crowded areas not wearing masks?

Did I say we did?

I'm 100% OK with people not wearing masks outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Did I say we did?

Wellybops used to boast about a "mate" who gave him a "fake exemption letter."

So take things with a bucket of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

I have followed every rule and regulation so far but the fact that when pubs open on Friday and can have 6 people from 6 households at a table I'm like f*ck it, I'm going to my mams for a cuppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I have followed every rule and regulation so far but the fact that when pubs open on Friday and can have 6 people from 6 households at a table I'm like f*ck it, I'm going to my mams for a cuppa.

You will be allowed to do that under the current regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

It all went out the window today. We're on Level 0 as far as many are concerned now

Good luck everybody! Because we're sure as fcuk going to need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Early Christmas present, game over. Just a waiting game now.

BBC News - Covid Pfizer vaccine approved for use next week in UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    It all went out the window today. We're on Level 0 as far as many are concerned now

Good luck everybody! Because we're sure as fcuk going to need it

Says who ? You ....or posters on a thread that only has 45 pages in nearly a month (which is hardly representative of 5 million people )?

I’m not seeing or hearing that among any of my family , friends or colleagues :confused:. Speak for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Early Christmas present, game over. Just a waiting game now.

BBC News - Covid Pfizer vaccine approved for use next week in UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

For the UK maybe. All the rhetoric from the NPHET and the media here doesn't really fill me with confidence. I expect us to be behind many of our European counterparts in rolling out the vaccine, just look at Tony's lukewarm reaction for example. I think they are happy to keep going with the rolling lockdowns as long as possible (as it doesn't affect them financially).

pconn062 wrote: »
    just look at Tony's lukewarm reaction for example

To be fair to Tony he knows he's dealing with a nation of alcos. Him and his team see the stats on Ireland's drinking habits and know they have to thread carefully with optimism

If he was all jovial at a Presser and said "we're in the end game now" there'd literally be street parties in some parts of Ireland

pconn062 wrote: »
    For the UK maybe. All the rhetoric from the NPHET and the media here doesn't really fill me with confidence. I expect us to be behind many of our European counterparts in rolling out the vaccine, just look at Tony's lukewarm reaction for example. I think they are happy to keep going with the rolling lockdowns as long as possible (as it doesn't affect them financially).

I wouldn't pay too much heed to Holohan considering his advice on nursing homes and facemasks.
    Rolling lockdowns affect the supporters of political parties. The politicians will want society opened up as quick as possible to secure their seats in the next GE.

To be fair to Tony he knows he's dealing with a nation of alcos. Him and his team see the stats on Ireland's drinking habits and know they have to thread carefully with optimism

If he was all jovial at a Presser and said "we're in the end game now" there'd literally be street parties in some parts of Ireland

Funny actual facts seem to contradict you. Not even in the top 30.
    Although I'm not surprised considering some of the nonsense you posted here.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcohol-consumption-by-country

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

You will be allowed to do that under the current regulations.

On Friday we can have people over?

My Mum says the same she's going to visit people. One on one, mainly her other widow friends & keep distance from Friday. She has her 2 armchairs well apart & some bring their own cups. Considers that safer than 6 of them all meet in the pub for lunch. Inclined to agree with her.

Funny actual facts seem to contradict you. Not even in the top 30.
    Although I'm not surprised considering some of the nonsense you posted here.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcohol-consumption-by-country

Says one of the biggest pot stirrers since April

As for Ireland not being a nation of alcos:

Show me any other country with a Boards equivalent where the Covid forum has had not one, but two threads full of grown men screaming for the pubs to open during a pandemic

See the "open the pubs!" comments every day on Reddit Ireland when the case numbers are announced

Apart from maybe Britain, I can't think of anywhere else where alcohol is discussed during a once in a century virus like it's a manna from heaven

Ireland is a nation of pub and party addicts and Tony has - rightly - treated us a such

As for Ireland not been a nation of alcos:

Show me any other country with a Boards equivalent where the Covid forum has had not one, but two threads full of grown men screaming for the pubs to open during a pandemic

See the "open the pubs!" comments every day on Reddit Ireland when the case numbers are announced

Apart from maybe Britain, I can't think of anywhere else where alcohol is discussed during a once in a century virus like it's a manna from heaven

Ireland is a nation of pub and party addicts and Tony has - rightly - treated us a such

Show me any other country with a Boards equivalent where the pubs have been closed since March 2020

Show me any other country with a Boards equivalent where the pubs have been closed since March 2020

I'll try if you can show me one in the EU with a worse health system then Ireland

Surely you can see the correlation between these two things

As for Ireland not been a nation of alcos:

You claimed we are a nation of alcoholics I provided evidence that we don't even make it into the top 30. The rest of your reply is whataboutery.
    There has been four notable pandemics in the last 100 years again facts. Which you seem to have an issue with.
    I'm a stirrer yet it's you that's has made multiple baseless claims.

• Advertisement

There has been four notable pandemics in the last 100 years again facts. Which you seem to have an issue with.

There's only been one other of this magnitude: the Spanish Flu

Do you really want to go back and forth on this on one of the most positive days this horrible year has seen? (the Pfizer UK news)

Because I'd rather not tbh. Let's agree to disagree

There's only been one other of this magnitude: the Spanish Flu

Do you really want to go back and forth on this on one of the most positive days this horrible year has seen? (the Pfizer UK news)

Because I'd rather not tbh. Let's agree to disagree

Are you going to define what constitutes a pandemic now? lol.
    You're entitled to your opinions but if you post something that is untrue expect to get challenged. Have a good one.

I'll try if you can show me one in the EU with a worse health system then Ireland

You must work for Tony. What evidence is there that pubs cause COVID hospitalisations??

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

So what’s the correlation? Pubs are closed because health system is rubbish therefore we can’t afford to open absolutely everywhere people congregate? (Although ridiculously unfair, there is at least some logic in this).

Or pubs are closed because we are a nation of alcoholics and closing pubs is good for public health Covid or no Covid?

That there are threads on boards with posters wanting pubs to reopen with the same restrictions in place as restaurants is an indication of a demand for something unreasonably denied for months.

Deny people anything they enjoy without evidence of good reason to ban it and you will see demand for said thing.

Example: When word got out that Austria was under pressure to not reopen their ski resorts until late January there was uproar from Austrian people.

For many, passing time in a pub is an enjoyable use of part of their leisure time.

Questioning why they are closed since last March and looking for evidence of the comparable dangers were they to operate under restrictions does not an alcoholic make.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So what’s the correlation? Pubs are closed because health system is rubbish therefore we can’t afford to open absolutely everywhere people congregate? (Although ridiculously unfair, there is at least some logic in this).

Or pubs are closed because we are a nation of alcoholics and closing pubs is good for public health Covid or no Covid?

That there are threads on boards with posters wanting pubs to reopen with the same restrictions in place as restaurants is an indication of a demand for something unreasonably denied for months.

Deny people anything they enjoy without evidence of good reason to ban it and you will see demand for said thing.

Example: When word got out that Austria was under pressure to not reopen their ski resorts until late January there was uproar from Austrian people.

For many, passing time in a pub is an enjoyable use of part of their leisure time.

Questioning why they are closed since last March and looking for evidence of the comparable dangers were they to operate under restrictions does not an alcoholic make.

Pubs are closed, because the nature of what takes place there and covid are not compatible.

How is social distancing going to be possible or enforceable ? It isn’t...

Pubs would mean a huge uptake in transmission of covid, probably tens of thousands of cases... that happened we are cooked.

Is nobody remotely thinking of hospital staff, who have not complained just got on with it, in massively dangerous and challenging conditions, daily ?

If you want alcohol, go buy alcohol, stick on Netflix, ps4, Skype your mates, call them, whatever....

Pubs and covid simply don’t mix.....

Strumms wrote: »
    Pubs are closed, because the nature of what takes place there and covid are not compatible.

1.) How is social distancing going to be possible or enforceable ? It isn’t...

2.)Pubs would mean a huge uptake in transmission of covid, probably tens of thousands of cases... that happened we are cooked.

Is nobody remotely thinking of hospital staff, who have not complained just got on with it, in massively dangerous and challenging conditions, daily ?

If you want alcohol, go buy alcohol, stick on Netflix, ps4, Skype your mates, call them, whatever....

Pubs and covid simply don’t mix.....

1.) Same as in restaurants and gastropubs.

2.) Evidence?

You can't just make stuff up and claim it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

2.) Evidence?

Well to be fair have a look at the EY report that the government based its decision to not open pubs on.

It’s soo poor it’s actually quite hard to criticise a randomer on an Internet forum for making stuff up

Anything goes it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

2.) Evidence?

Making stuff up ? ;) hardly, a bit of common sense would help you understand...

It’s not the same as restaurants and gastro pubs at all.

Restaurants and gastropubs.., the primary reason people go there, is to eat and be with friends.. eat food, have a couple of drinks and a good time. Distancing is achievable to a point.

Pubs.. people go there and socialize in a completely different manner, alcohol plays a central part in that. In a restaurant the consumption of food is the objective in a restaurant... the consumption of alcohol and the craic is the centerpiece of pub life..people moving from person to person, no distancing..not really compatible around Xmas in covid times.

Socializing WITH other people, sharing jokes, laughs, TOGETHER....together is something we need to be avoiding.

Simply adhere to the rules and keep yourself and others well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Strumms wrote: »
    Making stuff up ? ;) hardly, a bit of common sense would help you understand...

It’s not the same as restaurants and gastro pubs at all.

Restaurants and gastropubs.., the primary reason people go there, is to eat and be with friends.. eat food, have a couple of drinks and a good time. Distancing is achievable to a point.

Pubs.. people go there and socialize in a completely different manner, alcohol plays a central part in that. In a restaurant the consumption of food is the objective in a restaurant... the consumption of alcohol and the craic is the centerpiece of pub life..people moving from person to person, no distancing..not really compatible around Xmas in covid times.

Socializing WITH other people, sharing jokes, laughs, TOGETHER....together is something we need to be avoiding.

Simply adhere to the rules and keep yourself and others well.

Its quite plain to see that you haven't stepped foot in a pub since Covid. You cannot move between tables anymore, they function in precisely the same manner as restaurants. You're not going to the bar either, the only reason for somebody to be out of their seat is to use the bathroom, and lots of places mandated you to put on a mask for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

AdamD wrote: »
    Its quite plain to see that you haven't stepped foot in a pub since Covid. You cannot move between tables anymore, they function in precisely the same manner as restaurants. You're not going to the bar either, the only reason for somebody to be out of their seat is to use the bathroom, and lots of places mandated you to put on a mask for that.

That's all well and good in theory, but in practice it's a different thing. It's very difficult enforcing a wet pub to behave like a gastropub or restaurant. They're typically not designed solely around seating and tables whereas it's inherent in gastropubs and restaurants.

If you see a gastropub is open, you're pretty confident it's set up with tables and chairs. If you see a pub open, who knows what's going on inside.

Advertisement