Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Graham wrote: »
    After 8 months you'd probably earned the right to put your friends, family and community at risk.

Can't imagine how this thing keeps spreading.

If you're asking people to remain in isolation for prolonged, indefinite periods of time then you are putting people's lives at risk.

I am glad everytime I hear that someone is not willing to sacrifice their personal survival on the altar of swab numbers and R rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

retalivity wrote: »
    No, but after 8 months of minimising contacts, i said fcuk it, im going to the pub and going to meet friends and family as i had done next to nothing for most of the year except work and had nearly a month of hols to take.
    I sanitised and washed my hands regularly, wore a mask when required, and shockingly did not get covid. And neither did anyone else that i am aware of in all the places i was in. I/we must be one in a million.

It appears you weren't alone in your thinking, seems a lot of people thought the same but weren't as lucky.

growleaves wrote: »
    I am glad everytime I hear that someone is not willing to sacrifice their personal survival on the altar of swab numbers and R rates.

I'm glad when I hear people aren't willing to sacrifice the lives of vulnerable family/friends/coworkers/frontline staff and our education and healthcare systems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you're asking people to remain in isolation for prolonged, indefinite periods of time then you are putting people's lives at risk.

I'll bite. How.

Facts rather than guesses would be welcomed. Comparisons against Covid deaths and long-term effects also appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Travel ban lists? Whose gone anywhere since last February?

yes, travel bann lists.
    it is one of the things that can and has happened to countries who fail to get a grip on controlling the virus.

Yep, absolutely agree. And I'm the same, as above, I've travelled to several areas throughout this year that were deemed as 'high risk' yet have had multiple tests and not picked up a thing. Not had a text, not been a close contact. I just pity the vulnerable people who are getting scaremongered and terrified watching the news each day. probably afraid to come outside the door.

so you pitty the vulnerable who are apparently being "scare mongered" watching the news and being given the facts.
    you pitty some of them who may become warey by being given the reality which is not scare mongering and for which the media would not be able to get away with actual scare mongering.
    but you will play a part in making them warey via not doing your bit and not doing what you are being asked to do, in turn not being part of the sollution.
    that doesn't really make any sense, tbh.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

I'll bite. How.

Facts rather than guesses would be welcomed. Comparisons against Covid deaths and long-term effects also appreciated.

Pour yourself some cop on tae.

Prolonged isolation is not survivable, as is well known. Prisoner's rights group object to it as a form of torture.

The guy said he just spent 8 months on his own. Supporters of restrictions should be apologising to, thanking and commiserating with anyone who has been affected by restrictions.

Instead there is a stupid kind of demonisation, as if human nature was some kind of misdemeanour.

In my opinion the moral condemnation is all flowing in the wrong direction.

Waffle about 'long covid' is particularly shameless. We're supposed to dissolve human society indefinitely because the possibility of long term effects can't be ruled out? Rubbish.

Prolonged isolation is not survivable, as is well known. Prisoner's rights group object to it as a form of torture.

The guy said he just spent 8 months on his own. Supporters of restrictions should be apologising to, thanking and commiserating with anyone who has been affected by restrictions.

Instead there is a stupid kind of demonisation, as if human nature was some kind of misdemeanour.

Waffle about 'long covid' is particularly shameless. We're supposed to dissolve human society indefinitely because the possibility of long term effects can't be ruled out? Rubbish.

So no facts, no figures, just waffle and a game of let's pretend everyone has been put into solitary confinement.

I can't say I didn't see that coming :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

yes, travel bann lists.
    it is one of the things that can and has happened to countries who fail to get a grip on controlling the virus.

so you pitty the vulnerable who are apparently being "scare mongered" watching the news and being given the facts.
    you pitty some of them who may become warey by being given the reality which is not scare mongering and for which the media would not be able to get away with actual scare mongering.
    but you will play a part in making them warey via not doing your bit and not doing what you are being asked to do, in turn not being part of the sollution.
    that doesn't really make any sense, tbh.

diehard.jpg

So no facts, no figures, just waffle and a game of let's pretend everyone has been put into solitary confinement.

I can't say I didn't see that coming :rolleyes:

I'm giving my point of view. Datasets about the effects of isolation aren't needed. Nobody should take more than they can bear, is what I think.

Stone-hearted followers of guidelines do not speak from any position of moral authority. They should be digging deep into themselves for humility and empathy.

And if you have to hide behind 'long covid' as a justification for lockdown then I'd say we are already into the Brezhnev era of the restrictions regime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I’ll be honest. I broke the household rule once between Christmas and New Year. Four couples and our kids met up in one house for around 10 hours and had dinner plus drinks.

• Advertisement

I'm giving my point of view. Datasets about the effects of isolation aren't needed. Nobody should take more than they can bear, is what I think.

Stone-hearted followers of guidelines do not speak from any position of moral authority. They should be digging deep into themselves for humility and empathy.

And if you have to hide behind 'long covid' as a justification for lockdown then I'd say we are already into the Brezhnev era of the restrictions regime.

You know it's ok to say you've got nothing.

It's often better than hiding behind waffle, mild insults and comparisons with the Soviet Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

After 8 months you'd probably earned the right to put your friends, family and community at risk.

Can't imagine how this thing keeps spreading.

Indeed. Its almost as me and my activities were not a cause of contagion! Quelle suprise!

I’ll be honest. I broke the household rule once between Christmas and New Year. Four couples and our kids met up in one house for around 10 hours and had dinner plus drinks.

I think a lot of families were the same, that was always the concern around Christmas.

retalivity wrote: »
    Indeed. Its almost as me and my activities were not a cause of contagion! Quelle suprise!

close on 6000 people got a different kind of surprise today.

Quelle surprise!

You know it's ok to say you've got nothing.

It's often better than hiding behind waffle, mild insults and comparisons with the Soviet Union.

As I said, a set of statistics by psychiatrists would be beside the point.

Is anyone going to pretend they don't know prolonged isolation is dangerous unless or until an official government scientist has given some sort of imprimatur?

As I said, a set of statistics by psychiatrists would be beside the point.

Is anyone going to pretend they don't know prolonged isolation is dangerous unless or until an official government scientist has given some sort of imprimatur?

Isolation? I'd love a bit of isolation, I haven't spent 5 f**King minutes alone since March 😂 😂

Btw not my intention to insult you (though obviously I am being extremely critical of you).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I don't believe in excessive restrictions. Not because restrictions don't bring down numbers. They do but when you go too hard and too long with restrictions compliance goes way down. A principle the powers that be realised at the start but abandoned along the way as panic, scaremongering and finger wagging took over.

I've personally broken no restrictions. My contacts in my personal life are minimal as I have only two loved ones in my life and was only in their company over Christmas. Which was perfect as I just love quiet Christmases and was never into crowd scenes. But I fully realise that it's different for others and that asking people to limit contacts over Christmas may have been an ask too much. And I know of one entire family in my neighbourhood who caught the virus due to the entire large family celebrating together.

So, do people think that that's the reason for the huge surge ie people went a bit mad at Christmas or is it the UK variant? Though we've been told by the HSE that it's not the latter I'm not convinced.

Nobody has been put into isolation so your point is moot.

acequion wrote: »
    So, do people think that that's the reason for the huge surge ie people went a bit mad at Christmas or is it the UK variant?

It's looking like people went a bit mad over Christmas given the (limited so far) sampling for the UK variant.

It's understandable families wanted to get together over Christmas, particularly after the year we've had. I think most people did so with at least some consideration to the risks involved.

Unfortunately for several thousand people that didn't work out as well as we'd all have hoped.

On top of that you've got a small number that really didn't give a monkeys, no thought at all. Wen't completely to town over Christmas (literally and metaphorically), some were lucky, others not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

I haven,t being a night out since last March I haven,t visisted any friends house or vice versa haven,t had any visitors to my house either and when the first lockdown ended excluding work I made a choice to only have two contacts Id see once a week or once a fortnight for a walk or meet somewhere outdoors. Since Covid is high again I made a choice to have no contacts outside my house I only keep in touch with people through phone/whatsapp or messenger and Im ok with that Im ok to adjust to my own company quite well that said though I recognize first hand restrictions will be harder on some people then others. A case in point someone I know who suffers with mental health ended up in a mental hospital during the first lockdown because Isolation got to the person.

Is there nobody you can (or want to) form a support bubble with Hodger?

I remember that wasn't an option in the first lockdown but it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

Is there nobody you can (or want to) form a support bubble with Hodger?

I remember that wasn't an option in the first lockdown but it is now.

I could meet up with certain friends but since Covid is as high as it it at the moment I have chosen to have no contacts outside the house Id rather strictly keep in touch with people over the phone or through whatsapp/messenger. My way of looking at it is while Covid high as it is now If I have no outside contacts Im lessening my chances of potential getting Covid or being a close contact.

A couple of my friends would be the same Hodger. Let's hope we can get this current surge back under control and crack on with a speedy vaccination program.

Bring on the old normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Nobody has been put into isolation so your point is moot.

What, like a cows opinion?

begbysback wrote: »
    What, like a cows opinion?

Just like it.

Hat tip to Joey for the definition :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Some people want an imaginary gold mental for following them and want to be applauded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this.

We need to get a plumber in to the house today to fix the heating. Im hoping that he will wear mask etc without having to ask, but will do if he doesn't.

Hopefully, most of the work will be done outside in the shed, but if he does come in to the house is there any additional things to consider (on top of mask & social distancing) on top of the following
    • Open windows/doors
    • Clean down touched surfaces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

LowOdour wrote: »

We need to get a plumber in to the house today to fix the heating. Im hoping that he will wear mask etc without having to ask, but will do if he doesn't.

Hopefully, most of the work will be done outside in the shed, but if he does come in to the house is there any additional things to consider (on top of mask & social distancing) on top of the following
    • Open windows/doors

Ventilate space he is working in. Surface cleaning may be needed if he leaves a mess, in terms of covid transmission it's a red herring as it's thought unlikely that transmission takes place via surface touching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

LowOdour wrote: »

• Open windows/doors

You could sterlise the entire plumber at the door. Knapsack, a 2/10 bleach dilution and spray him down before you take his boots off.

Advertisement