Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I refuse to let tradesmen in if I can’t sterlise them down at the door, take their boots off and put two extra masks on them for my safety . You just don’t know where they have been. Could be super spreader units for all I know.

It’s a nightmare guys. The sooner they are replaced with robots the better. Can’t catch the covid off a robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    it's thought unlikely that transmission takes place via surface touching.

This is the second time I've seen this said in the last two days, but I'm not seeing how surfaces aren't a big source of transmission

Let's say someone has it, coughs into their hand and opens a door, putting the hand they coughed into on the handle

Then someone else opens the door, touches the handle and then puts their hand to their face. It would 100% transmit this way as we touch our face hundreds of times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

They need to get tough on the illegal house partys. The danger of catching it from a tradesman if you leave them alone to do their work is low. Wipe down surfaces afterwards. Locking down sensible people more and more strictly while the house down the road have a big house party every Saturday is silly. They need serious fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I refuse to let tradesmen in if I can’t sterlise them down at the door, take their boots off and put two extra masks on them for my safety . You just don’t know where they have been. Could be super spreader units for all I know.
    It’s a nightmare guys. The sooner they are replaced with robots the better. Can’t catch the covid off a robot.

Mod

Take this thread seriously if you want to maintain access to it. This childish "humour" ends here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    This is the second time I've seen this said in the last two days, but I'm not seeing how surfaces aren't a big source of transmission

Let's say someone has it, coughs into their hand and opens a door, putting the hand they coughed into on the handle

Then someone else opens the door, touches the handle and then puts their hand to their face. It would 100% transmit this way as we touch our face hundreds of times a day

Cdc have said from day 1 that surfaces outside of hospital environments are rarely the reasons for viral transmission. Health authorities are always in favour of good hand hygiene though, so it's a good way of promoting it and it can't do any harm.
    Viruses aren't particularly robust, a sneeze into a hand , onto a surface, back to a hand, into a mouth, it would need to be pretty lucky to manage that trip unscathed, and it's not just one, my understanding is that you need a few hundred particles to make the journey, so theoretically possible, but unlikely. Plenty of research into it, google formite transmission evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Cdc have said from day 1 that surfaces outside of hospital environments are rarely the reasons for viral transmission. Health authorities are always in favour of good hand hygiene though, so it's a good way of promoting it and it can't do any harm.
    Viruses aren't particularly robust, a sneeze into a hand , onto a surface, back to a hand, into a mouth, it would need to be pretty lucky to manage that trip unscathed, and it's not just one, my understanding is that you need a few hundred particles to make the journey, so theoretically possible, but unlikely. Plenty of research into it, google formite transmission evidence.

wow rewriting history before our eyes :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

No.
    The figures of late have confirmed that covid poses very little threat to the general public. It is frankly unreasonable to expect people to adhere to these draconian measures without addressing the elephant in the room, the fact that thousands of people from Northern Ireland traverse the border daily.

I have lost all respect for NPHET and the CMO after Tony's complete disregard for the mental health of the nation. Saying things like "if you have a stuffed nose, you have covid" will not garner public support.

We are not asked to lead such restricted lives during the height of the flu season when hospitals are in a far worse state.

We ought to stop this nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It’s laughter we’re after folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

Graham wrote: »
    It's looking like people went a bit mad over Christmas

This is going to be like the "people went mad during the boom" thing isn't it? If you consider going to visit your family at christmas "mad" then I'm not sure what to say.

• Advertisement

My neighbours children and their children stayed over during Christmas.
    That was 3 different households all sleeping under the same roof.

My neighbours children and their children stayed over during Christmas.
    That was 3 different households all sleeping under the same roof.

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

I will Ted. Given the gravity of the dire and sobering Covid19 situation which is also increasingly and incredibly terrifying and petrifying I promise to be more somber and serious going forward. This is not a time for laughter. In fact it makes me want to vomit when I hear it.

What is the solution you propose for where we are right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eivor wrote: »
    This is going to be like the "people went mad during the boom" thing isn't it? If you consider going to visit your family at christmas "mad" then I'm not sure what to say.
    With 15-30 contacts per person it suggests there is truth to some people going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

acequion wrote: »
    Jesus how many more times do people have to be told that we ARE NOT New Zealand and Australia. We are not isolated autonomous islands in the south Pacific. We are part of the European Union and we have a land border with the UK.

Why can't people get that! :rolleyes:

That's not a good reason not to try, Oz and NZ setup proper contact tracing, we'e never had that here and the government have gie up. By saying we are different to oz/nz they are trying to escape the blame.

That's not a good reason not to try, Oz and NZ setup proper contact tracing, we'e never had that here and the government have gie up. By saying we are different to oz/nz they are trying to escape the blame.
    First they closed their borders and they are still tightly controlled and then they locked down very hard for extended periods.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

is_that_so wrote: »
    With 15-30 contacts per person it suggests there is truth to some people going mad.
    Having thought on it, it'd be easy to get to. For example you visit your parents along with your family and the small families of two siblings (each with two kids). That's 10 contacts for one person. Then if you repeat this for the other half's family, you're at 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Look at half of rural Ireland where planning policies allow the build of clusters of 4 or 5 houses inhabited by siblings and their families. There is no way these clusters are adhering to the households rule. I know of lots of examples myself.

is_that_so wrote: »
    First they closed their borders and they are still tightly controlled and then they locked down very hard for extended periods.

Yes that did and they also follow up on all close contacts. We've never had a working contact tracing system

PintOfView wrote: »

Maybe tighter lockdown on the vulnerable, and those in close contact with the vulnerable. Then open everything back up, have an online consent form stating that you accept full responsibility for your own well being. Fully open everything back up with the exceptions of vulnerable locations.

• Advertisement

Yes that did and they also follow up on all close contacts. We've never had a working contact tracing system
    New Zealand has had under 3000 cases, so not at all comparable. Both relied on harsh lockdowns that made ours look like a holiday.

Curfews and internment/quarantine. The authorities need to be able to track people’s movements in real time whether they like it or not. The social shaming and shunning of people partaking in old normal activity needs to be ramped up, pariahs who are not in it together or holding firm. Basically we need a technocratic surveillance state to keep us safe. A digital East Germany. That would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

arctictree wrote: »
    Look at half of rural Ireland where planning policies allow the build of clusters of 4 or 5 houses inhabited by siblings and their families. There is no way these clusters are adhering to the households rule. I know of lots of examples myself.

Families living in housing estates in the same town are the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I'm following it but I am most definitely not judging other people and what they decide to do. Also, I think a lot of people aren't completely aware of the actual rules. For example, I live alone and share a support bubble (which still applies in level 5) with my boyfriend as a result, which could be why a lot of curtain twitchers on here are seeing visitors to their neighbours houses. How do you know they aren't in a similar situation? i.e. this also applies to the elderly and people in need of care.

Curfews and internment/quarantine. The authorities need to be able to track people’s movements in real time whether they like it or not. The social shaming and shunning of people partaking in old normal activity needs to be ramped up, pariahs who are not in it together or holding firm. Basically we need a technocratic surveillance state to keep us safe. A digital East Germany. That would be nice.

Doesn't sound like you have anything constructive to contribute!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes I am, and family and friends. However the greatest number of cases are being shown to be the 19 to 24 year olds, the same young adults I have seen (on my very occasional visits to the supermarket) milling about in groups with no face masks and no social distancing.

Prof. Philip Nolan, NPHET:
    He said over the seven days until last Saturday evening there were 900 cases per 100,000 in people aged 19-24; 400 cases per 100,000 in people aged 25-64; and 200-300 cases per 100,000 in people aged over 65, and people aged between 13-18.

looksee wrote: »
    Yes I am, and family and friends. However the greatest number of cases are being shown to be the 19 to 24 year olds, the same young adults I have seen (on my very occasional visits to the supermarket) milling about in groups with no face masks and no social distancing.

Prof. Philip Nolan, NPHET:

Maybe start shopping in M&S, won’t see them in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

looksee wrote: »

The same young adults who are exploited by the HSE, given a mere 100 a week to work in dangerous conditions in hospitals ?
    I know of many student nurses my own age who are routinely in close contact with covid patients.

the same 19-24 year olds you seek to villify are those who work in supermarkets.
    You know the work carried out by 19-24 year olds can't exactly be done from home.

Isn't it some farce that a 20 year old is made attend placement yet it is seemingly inconceivable that teachers would be made work during a pandemic.

I suspect few cases can be attributed to young people not wearing masks.

begbysback wrote: »
    Maybe tighter lockdown on the vulnerable, and those in close contact with the vulnerable. Then open everything back up, have an online consent form stating that you accept full responsibility for your own well being. Fully open everything back up with the exceptions of vulnerable locations.

Even if it was possible to somehow identify the vulnerable and keep them safe (not sure how practical that would be) if we open up and let the virus rip it seems like we would still get the hospitals overwhelmed and still have lots of people dying (who though they weren't vulnerable).
    And with much larger numbers of people carrying the virus how would we keep it from reaching the vulnerable (look at the nursing homes and how difficult it is there, what about the vulnerable that live with their younger families, etc)

• Advertisement

It's to late now to do much if we had proper contact tracing six months ago we wouldn't be in the mess.

Right now,
    Lock down
    Community policing to break up gangs of kids and get their parents to come and take them home. Put the army of contact tracing.
    Proper follow up so that those the need help get it. But if you anybody even dares go out after a positive result or waiting for a result is punish them severely.

Advertisement