Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Cdc have said from day 1 that surfaces outside of hospital environments are rarely the reasons for viral transmission. Health authorities are always in favour of good hand hygiene though, so it's a good way of promoting it and it can't do any harm.
    Viruses aren't particularly robust, a sneeze into a hand , onto a surface, back to a hand, into a mouth, it would need to be pretty lucky to manage that trip unscathed, and it's not just one, my understanding is that you need a few hundred particles to make the journey, so theoretically possible, but unlikely. Plenty of research into it, google formite transmission evidence.

Makes zero sense

Again
    Let's say someone has it, coughs into their hand and opens a door, putting the hand they coughed into on the handle

Then someone else opens the door, touches the handle and then puts their hand to their face. It would 100% transmit this way as we touch our face hundreds of times a day

Same thing with commonly used and touched items by multiple people, a milk jug in a cafe springs to mind

The CDC haven't been 100% right about everything so far, have they?

I simply don't believe it's not transmitted on surfaces when you can get any other virus this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Makes zero sense

Again

Same thing with commonly used and touched items by multiple people, a milk jug in a cafe springs to mind

The CDC haven't been 100% right about everything so far, have they?

I simply don't believe it's not transmitted on surfaces when you can get any other virus this way

I don't know, just relaying what studies are revealing. It's early days still and we won't really know the answers to these questions for a few years, and even then, we probably won't know much for certain.
    I think each virus works differently, but in the main, transmission via surfaces isn't a major source of transmission for most of them, it's all about the droplets, say it don't spray it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

ixoy wrote: »
    Having thought on it, it'd be easy to get to. For example you visit your parents along with your family and the small families of two siblings (each with two kids). That's 10 contacts for one person. Then if you repeat this for the other half's family, you're at 20.

I had to work over Christmas. That’s 15 contacts there. My family came over on Christmas Day so that’s 13 contacts and I met up with 4 friends for an hour. That’s 31 contacts. Very easily done.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Curfews and internment/quarantine. The authorities need to be able to track people’s movements in real time whether they like it or not. The social shaming and shunning of people partaking in old normal activity needs to be ramped up, pariahs who are not in it together or holding firm. Basically we need a technocratic surveillance state to keep us safe. A digital East Germany. That would be nice.

Threadbanned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

My neighbours children and their children stayed over during Christmas.
    That was 3 different households all sleeping under the same roof.

Three households was fine back then, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Three households was fine back then, no?

Not for sleepovers, no

• Registered Users Posts: 86,244 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

soso02 wrote: »
    The same young adults who are exploited by the HSE, given a mere 100 a week to work in dangerous conditions in hospitals ?
    I know of many student nurses my own age who are routinely in close contact with covid patients.

the same 19-24 year olds you seek to villify are those who work in supermarkets.
    You know the work carried out by 19-24 year olds can't exactly be done from home.

Isn't it some farce that a 20 year old is made attend placement yet it is seemingly inconceivable that teachers would be made work during a pandemic.

I suspect few cases can be attributed to young people not wearing masks.

How can a young lad or girl have a bf or gf or any kind of social life?

We are going to have a wave of self harm mental illness and suicides.

We had several family tragedies in recent times.

I would not be suprised if we are going to have murder suicides that take whole families. A father and mother with no work no way to pay the bills or mortgage their business gone their house and car to follow their kids losing their education. You can see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

What are the rules regarding seeing a girlfriend/boyfriend or partner you don't live with? Can you go back and forth between your houses? can you be a 'bubble'? Can you travel over 5km to see them?

I can't imagine this not being allowed as it's simply not an option to stop, but curious nonetheless on the legality of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

What are the rules regarding seeing a girlfriend/boyfriend or partner you don't live with? Can you go back and forth between your houses? can you be a 'bubble'? Can you travel over 5km to see them?

I can't imagine this not being allowed as it's simply not an option to stop, but curious nonetheless on the legality of it

If either of you live alone perhaps you can become a bubble but otherwise no. There was no allowance made for this as far as I have read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

At least one of you has to be living alone. If one of you is sharing with people, that whole household is then part of your bubble, they can't have their own bubbles. There's some leeway for going over 5km to visit someone in your bubble, but travelling across the country is probably pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,526 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah back to what we were doing last March basically.

Both parents WFH.
    I do all shopping, try to keep it as infrequent as possible, max twice per week.
    Family walks or cycles within 5km.
    I also visit my elderly mother approx once every week, often less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, but we are bubbled with another household.

All our shopping is delivered, not going to any shops at all or getting take-away. Walks in our local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

Stark wrote: »
    At least one of you has to be living alone. If one of you is sharing with people, that whole household is then part of your bubble, they can't have their own bubbles. There's some leeway for going over 5km to visit someone in your bubble, but travelling across the country is probably pushing it.

There is no limit on how far you can travel to meet someone in your bubble. There is a recommendation of 5k, but traveling across the country is perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Once housemates are ok with it then carry on. There's no monitoring of perjury at checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

I live in galway......parents live in cork city, both elderly, dad has dementia and is failing...constantly brought to hospital by ambulance. Mother got the covid test yesterday...awaiting on results.....two out of five sisters are doing everything for the parents , they're run off their feet......

Is it OK for me to travel to Cork to look after parents for a day a a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,816 ✭✭✭billyhead

gifted wrote: »
    I live in galway......parents live in cork city, both elderly, dad has dementia and is failing...constantly brought to hospital by ambulance. Mother got the covid test yesterday...awaiting on results.....two out of five sisters are doing everything for the parents , they're run off their feet......

I think you can if it's for essential care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The whole bubble thing is nonsense.
    Travelling the length and breadth of the country to get the ride a few times a week? Ridiculous

And 100euro for 3 lads who drove 80km for a burger?
    Add a zero to that and people might start complying

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Rodin wrote: »
    The whole bubble thing is nonsense.
    Travelling the length and breadth of the country to get the ride a few times a week? Ridiculous

And 100euro for 3 lads who drove 80km for a burger?
    Add a zero to that and people might start complying

The large majority of people who get this virus won't have an issue. Fining people is ridiculous

timeToLive wrote: »
    The large majority of people who get this virus won't have an issue. Fining people is ridiculous

It isn't that large majority who are in hospital.
    Unfortunately we have to target everyone or the hospitals will be overrun.

But on a more general point, fear of repercussion is very powerful. People only do what they think they'll get away with.

• Advertisement

gifted wrote: »

I live in Louth and I am just back today from Limerick. I went down on Sunday. My daughter has a 7 week old baby and he has been very unwell for the last week, barely feeding. She also has a 19 month old. She could not get a diagnosis of why he wasn't feeding , couldn't get a doctors appointment or a health nurse until today. She didn't want to bring him to hospital because Covid levels are so high.
    Baby is now on medication for severe reflux. I returned today and only met a checkpoint 1km from my house in Drogheda. Explained my trip and was met with good wishes from the garda.

I live in Louth and I am just back today from Limerick. I went down on Sunday. My daughter has a 7 week old baby and he has been very unwell for the last week. She also has a 19 month old. She could not get a diagnosis of why he wasn't feeding , couldn't get a doctors appointment or a health nurse until today. She didn't want to bring him to hospital because Covid levels are so high.
    Baby is now on medication for severe reflux. I returned today and only met a checkpoint 1km from my house in Drogheda. Explained my trip and was met with good wishes from the garda.

Louth to Limerick and back and one checkpoint?
    Says it all..

Louth to Limerick and back and one checkpoint?
    Says it all..

there are no checkpoints this time on motorways. I live 5 minutes from the MI, the rest was the M50 an M7. The only bit of secondary road was 1km from my house and that's where I met the checkpoint, I knew I would.
    It has been flagged from the beginning of these new level 5 restrictions...........no motorway checks.

there are no checkpoints this time on motorways. I live 5 minutes from the MI, the rest was the M50 an M7. The only bit of secondary road was 1km from my house and that's where I met the checkpoint, I knew I would.
    It has been flagged from the beginning of these new level 5 restrictions...........no motorway checks.

I haven't seen a Covid checkpoint at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭denismc

I haven't seen any checkpoints since Christmas whereas before Christmas I would go through 2 every day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

soso02 wrote: »
    The same young adults who are exploited by the HSE, given a mere 100 a week to work in dangerous conditions in hospitals ?
    I know of many student nurses my own age who are routinely in close contact with covid patients

Just on the above. Student nurses aren’t being paid €100 a week. This is a lie that seems to have grown legs and PBP seem to be pushing it. Student nurses get minimum wage, PLUS an extra €100 a week during Covid.

Now minimum wage is not huge, but the fallacy that they only get €100 is nonsense.

But on a more general point, fear of repercussion is very powerful. People only do what they think they'll get away with.

Over 50% of the hospital cases, caught it IN hospital!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Over 50% of the hospital cases, caught it IN hospital!!

Honest question, do you have a source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Target everyone because the hospitals will be overrun with those people.. who aren't going to end up in the hospital.. got it ;)

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    Honest question, do you have a source for that?

There is a link in one of the Covid threads. I’ll see if I can find it, but they move so fast.

Advertisement