Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

gozunda wrote: »
    You know this isn't just about you?

Hospitals "no busier than normal"?????

Yeah fuk them right?

I think you're making it up or just having a laugh at this stage . Hard to tell tbh.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40077212.html

My Mum is in one of those Hospitals at the moment and says it's deserted. I'm not allowed in so just have to take her word for it. Hopefully picking her up tomorrow when the doctors come back from the weekend off and give her the all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

My Mum is in one of those Hospitals at the moment and says it's deserted. I'm not allowed in so just have to take her word for it. Hopefully picking her up tomorrow when the doctors come back from the weekend off and give her the all clear.

Fine you don't believe me. See report above. Its replicated across the country.
    Nine times as many people were on waiting on trolleys in Irish hospitals last month than during April of this year, according to the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO).

The INMO says that trolley counts have been compounded by the impact of high numbers of healthcare workers testing positive for Covid-19.

The Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) reported earlier this year that over 32% of Covid-19 infections were among nurses, and the IMO is now calling for plans to combat overcrowding in Irish hospitals. 

This, the INMO says, would allow for increased staffing in the context of high numbers of healthcare worker infections.

“This is highly dangerous at the best of times, but this year we simply cannot afford to accept this level of risk, for patients or for staff. We are over a month into the winter period and we’re seeing 4,500 patients per month on trolleys. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Absolute BS
    “I don’t follow the rules strictly at all, but do things as sensibly as I see possible”
    Wow, great logic there. So what you’re saying is, you know best, better than the experts. What you really mean is, these rules are not for you, nothing sensible about it.

“I know for a fact that we’ll never get this time back with our loved ones, so we have to enjoy our time now”
    It’s is precisely this logic that is putting your loved ones at risk, and also delaying me seeing my loved ones.

So when you say sensible, you mean selfish right?

I would guess that very few are sticking to all of the rules 100%. I went 7k last week for a run on the beach. That’s an example of how I broke the rules. I was on my own and talked to nobody. Did my run and home again in the car.

Look NPHET and the government are making it up as they go along. I lost them at the €9 meal to have a drink! Thankfully I went on holidays to Italy to avoid that nonsense!

Selfish - if you call seeing my parents, partner and one friend that while cutting off everyone else then yes. I have done my own risk assessment and I’m happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Maybe your Mum isn't seeing the full picture. I have close family working in hospitals and they are under great strain at the moment. It may vary from hospital to hospital or ward to ward but two of my family in particular are close to breaking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Followed the restrictions to the letter the first time around back in April/May, didn't see my partner for about 8 weeks, didn't leave the 2km or 5km from my house, didn't see anyone outside of my household until the end of May.

This time around I'm not doing that again, I voted for option 4 but at the same time I'm not exactly attending house parties every day. Since level 5 had come in I've visited my parents once but other than that haven't seen anyone outside my house and work. I will limit my movements but not totally stop altogether, I wouldn't hesitate or feel guilty about going over to a friends house for example but at the same time won't take the complete piss with it either.

In April/May I only saw 3 people in the space of 2 months nearly. Now I am in a room with almost 30 every single day in work, so I am not going to feel guilty for seeing a friend or family member on a weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Fine you don't believe me. See report above. Its replicated across the country.

I don't the hospitals are no where near under the same pressure as this time last year. My mum's not the kinda person to even pass comment but she was surprised at how quite it is there. She's blocking a bed as no doctor around to let her out and she's counting towards the covid test numbers. It's now her 4th Covid test yet she's never had a symptom they've all been mandatory, my sister has had two tests both mandatory as well.
    It's great to see the positivity rate fall but it's no surprise when your testing people with no symptoms multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Can you explain the bit in bold to me, I never really got it when it came to the Restrictions

Basically; the Grandparents are babysitters to the Grandkids because the parents of the kids are too cheap to pay for a cre service?

That's essentially what it looks like

I hear you, bro.

It's like those assholes getting food parcels from the SVDP because theyre too cheap to buy groceries. Or those cheapskates in homeless shelters because they cant be arsed buying a house.

I don't the hospitals are no where near under the same pressure as this time last year. My mum's not the kinda person to even pass comment but she was surprised at how quite it is there. She's blocking a bed as no doctor around to let her out and she's counting towards the covid test numbers. It's now her 4th Covid test yet she's never had a symptom they've all been mandatory, my sister has had two tests both mandatory as well.
    It's great to see the positivity rate fall but it's no surprise when your testing people with no symptoms multiple times.

In terms of available beds and staff who are out sick / diagnosed with covid they very much are under severe pressure. See linked article above.

That those patients who are admitted and confined to bed - its unlikely they see the totality of the situation. A family member on frontline gives a much more detailed picture tbf.

The reality is a covid test is only accurate for the day results are given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

In terms of available beds and staff who are out sick / diagnosed with covid they very much are under severe pressure.

That those patients who are admitted and confined to bed - its unlikely they see the totality of the situation. A family member on frontline gives a much more detailed picture tbf.

The reality is a covid test is only accurate for the day results are given.

I also have family working frontline in hospitals and they don't feel under increased pressure. Especially compared to this time a couple of years ago when they were having to wade through patients on trolleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Sorry, when idiots who break the rules and contract Covid and transmit it, it is my business, it’s everyone’s business. The numbers go up, the lockdowns continue. Are you so short sighted.
    Follow rules, numbers go down, lockdown ends.
    Just the selfish few who believe they don’t need to follow the rules.

Not my business????

What happens when lockdown ends?

Cases go up. Lockdown starts again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You know this isn't just about you?

Hospitals "no busier than normal"?????

I have a family member working on the front line and what they have told me would make you think about again.

But like fuk them right?

I think you're making it up or just having a laugh at this stage . Hard to tell tbh.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40077212.html

It's always interesting how personally some take arguments they disagree with - lashing out in their response.

Maybe you should have read everything I posted:
    A pandemic which doesn't pose any significant risk to the vast majority of people in this country. Where despite cases jumping significantly in the last 2 months, deaths have remained in single digits every day (and some of those from months ago because of the way the numbers are calculated and quoted) and hospitals reported recently that they were no busier than normal.

The really infuriating part is the impact of the daily overload of fear and pronouncements from Holohan and RTE has had on people like yourself and others in this thread - lashing out against those who in your mind aren't taking it as seriously as you are.

If you are part of the small percentage of people who are actually at risk from CV-19, or live with or visit someone who is then absolutely should you and they do whatever necessary to be and indeed feel safe, but stop complaining about others who aren't in the same risk bracket or who don't share your risk assessment of the situation.

How do you account for the very low death figures since the cases started rising significantly? Even allowing for the 2 week incubation, hospital treatment etc, they're still extremely low. Take them over the entire 9 months and the population of 5 million and they're comparatively tiny compared to what was (and still is by some) predicted.

A better question is also, why can people like yourself not recognise this for what it is? An extremely positive outcome considering the aforementioned predictions.

Or do you think that if only we all lockdown harder, we can save everyone? Unfortunately that's just not possible. Every life lost is sad and a loss to their families and loved ones, but people die every day I'm afraid and in greater numbers than from CV-19. It might be easy to forget that seeing as the media narrative would suggest no-one is dying from anything BUT CV-19 now, but I'm afraid that's just not so.

As I said above.. if you or anyone else are at risk (or just don't feel safe) then absolutely be careful, isolate, whatever you need to do. No-one would blame you and you should absolutely be supported - but you cannot force others to share your same level of concern or fear about something that doesn't affect most of them, nor can you blame or punish them for living their lives as best they can. "We're all in this together" has been conflated to "everyone is in this with me", and that's just not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

polesheep wrote: »
    I also have family working frontline in hospitals and they don't feel under increased pressure. Especially compared to this time a couple of years ago when they were having to wade through patients on trolleys.

I too have family working in hospitals both here and in southern England, similarly, they are not under any additional pressure compared to 2019.

For myself, paying no heed to the 5km nonsense.

Meeting family etc, parents are meeting their grandchildren.

You can see people have a pain in the hole with the restrictions now. Down in St Annes Park yesterday was like a concert was on. It was mobbed.
    Lad in a squad car going around with a loudspeaker. Everyone ignoring him till he f**ked off.

robbiezero wrote: »

You can see people have a pain in the hole with the restrictions now. Down in St Annes Park yesterday was like a concert was on. It was mobbed.
    Lad in a squad car going around with a loudspeaker. Everyone ignoring him till he f**ked off.

Lol, what was he saying on the loudspeaker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Same spanners that were "mobbing" St. Anne's park will be the first whinging in the hospitals and blocking up A and E when they want their free healthcare. Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not abiding by the 5km limit whatsoever. That one is a nonsense. Otherwise pretty well behaved. Haven't seen a checkpoint yet either.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Blondini wrote: »
    Same spanners that were "mobbing" St. Anne's park will be the first whinging in the hospitals and blocking up A and E when they want their free healthcare. Heroes.

No they won't. They all had health insurance and they will be the last to be whinging in hospitals or blocking up A and E.

I was queuing for the stall with melted Raclette cheese and potatoes and sausages (delicious) at the time and talking to a few people so couldn't really hear him (loudspeaker was useless), but there was something being mumbled about distance, but not a single person reacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

I am not sticking to guidelines. I have multiple family members calling each week and I visit my friends myself. No amount of restrictions will change my behaviour. I only wear a mask when absolutely necessary. If I can get away with it I don't wear a mask.

My next door neighbour is aged 92 and asks why he is not allowed to live and take his chance with the virus.

BTW I am (btw) in the ''at risk'' category myself.

Why can't the Government stand up to Tony the megalomaniac Holohan and stop this project fear. Get our economy moving again and start being honest with folk.

Stop the press conferences. Stop the ''case'' count. It is meaningless.

Open our churches. Allow eating outdoors and drinking outdoors and allow all retail shops to open.

Time to stop this farce NOW.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »

See linked article above if you are in any doubt

DM_2092 wrote: »
    Not at all. There's a curtain shop in Dublin that is deemed essential. All the electronic stores too. I'm sick of this ****. If someone wants to come to my house they can.

In fairness, curtain shops probably are essential.
    There is huge wear and tear on certain curtains in the current environment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Ridiculous unenforceable, not even trying "lockdown" that depends on the common decency of citizens, a lot of whom don't bloody have any, to abide by the rules.

In a nutshell; we are adhering to all the rules but it is quite clear very very few neighbours are. I mean I'm pretty sure late night guests for drinks and/or having your entire extended family over to your house every single day goes far outside the realms of "compassionate".

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's always interesting how personally some take arguments they disagree with - lashing out in their response.
    Maybe you should have read everything I posted:
    How do you account for the very low death figures since the cases started rising significantly? Even allowing for the 2 week incubation, hospital treatment etc, they're still extremely low. Take them over the entire 9 months and the population of 5 million and they're comparatively tiny compared to what was (and still is by some) predicted.A better question is also, why can people like yourself not recognise this for what it is? An extremely positive outcome considering the aforementioned predictions.Or do you think that if only we all lockdown harder, we can save everyone? Unfortunately that's just not possible. Every life lost is sad and a loss to their families and loved ones, but people die every day I'm afraid and in greater numbers than from CV-19. It might be easy to forget that seeing as the media narrative would suggest no-one is dying from anything BUT CV-19 now, but I'm afraid that's just not so.As I said above.. if you or anyone else are at risk (or just don't feel safe) then absolutely be careful, isolate, whatever you need to do. No-one would blame you and you should absolutely be supported - but you cannot force others to share your same level of concern or fear about something that doesn't affect most of them, nor can you blame or punish them for living their lives as best they can. "We're all in this together" has been conflated to "everyone is in this with me", and that's just not the case.

Nope. No personal 'take' and lol theres no 'lash out" (you also said similar about others 'lashing' in your original comment to which I replied btw. But no matter. And yes I did read all of it in its entirety.

Simply highlighted that which I responded to and pointed out just some of the inconsistencies of that very long rant tbf.

And no I did not state we could 'save everyone'
    Id suggst you read what I wrote again btw.

But I'd also suggest try and not take everything at such a personsl level.

We're sticking to the rules more or less but thats mainly because everything is closed. I have little or no faith in the way cases and deaths are being reported (significant amount of smoke and mirrors being played with the statistics) and I believe a government that enforces obedience via fear and diktat will see time run out on it's legitimacy. Level 5 type restrictions is not "living with the virus".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Blondini wrote: »
    It's got a very big catchment area within the 5km. Outside is deemed to be much lower risk and if that sun holds up it'll be even more mobbed today. It's also good for people's sanity to get out in the fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    My next door neighbour is aged 92 and asks why he is not allowed to live and take his chance with the virus.

Lol whatever about the sentiment he definitely did not use those words. He can take every chance he wants he can go onto dublin bus and lick every pole on the bus if he wants a chance at catching covid that badly

Not smart to be wanting to get covid at 92. Nothing brave about it, just reckless really. Plenty of ways to socialise without putting his health at undue risk

I too have family working in hospitals both here and in southern England, similarly, they are not under any additional pressure compared to 2019.

The data doesn't lie

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

See above for rise in hospital and covid numbers
    Covid-19: NHS is placed on highest alert level as intensive care beds fill up

The facts speak for themselves. In early September we had under 500 coronavirus patients in our hospitals. By the beginning of October that had become 2000. And now it is around 11 000. That’s the equivalent of 22 of our hospitals full of coronavirus patients.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4296

And we're only at the begining of the winter ...

Ridiculous unenforceable, not even trying "lockdown" that depends on the common decency of citizens, a lot of whom don't bloody have any, to abide by the rules.

In a nutshell; we are adhering to all the rules but it is quite clear very very few neighbours are. I mean I'm pretty sure late night guests for drinks and/or having your entire extended family over to your house every single day goes far outside the realms of "compassionate".

Numbers have been dropping since level 3, very few in ICU and only a handful a day dying "with" not "of" Covid. Those that are dying are very old and unwell with other illnesses. So even if your neighbors are getting on with their lives, numbers are falling anyway so who cares except the begrudgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I'd say the Gardai are fed up of the nonsense as well.

Advertisement