Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd party TV warranty/insurance

Options
  • 07-11-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hello,

I bought new TV and looking to buy extended warranty (retailer I bought it from dose not offer that). Does anyone know which companies offer this service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Domestic and General were the only one I was aware of and they appear to have stopped

Its absolutely worthless, regardless. The number of get-out clauses are such that nearly all physical damage is not covered; and faults are going to be covered by the actual warranty or pursuable via your consumer rights. They generally price themselves to ensure you have actually paid for a complete replacement every 2.5-3 (at most) years in premiums alone so they are never at a loss.

D&G gave a quote of GP£2.89 a month for a 40 quid DVD player for me there!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭siulas

L1011 wrote: »
    Domestic and General were the only one I was aware of and they appear to have stopped

Its absolutely worthless, regardless. The number of get-out clauses are such that nearly all physical damage is not covered; and faults are going to be covered by the actual warranty or pursuable via your consumer rights. They generally price themselves to ensure you have actually paid for a complete replacement every 2.5-3 (at most) years in premiums alone so they are never at a loss.

There is no option then, I couldn't go to any insurer to get this really?

siulas wrote: »
    There is no option then, I couldn't go to any insurer to get this really?

I'm not aware of anyone still offering it, except captively via retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭siulas

L1011 wrote: »

D&G would be UK only, wouldn't it?

siulas wrote: »
    D&G would be UK only, wouldn't it?

They were available here, but they don't do TV cover anymore anyway

Seriously - these are all a total waste of money. Just put the tenner+ a month in a jar and by the time it becomes hard to claim against your consumer rights you have enough for a better TV.

That tenner is only if its a large, reputable vendor. If the TV is from a bargain basement brand, a third party warranty will easily be 30 a month, including for the year or two of the basic manufacturers warranty - the warranty firms do not lose money and everything is priced to ensure they do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A salesperson who sells a warranty gets 20% commission. The store gets about the same.

As above totally and utterly worthless in most cases.

Advertisement