Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peloton Users in Ireland Discussion

Options
  • 07-11-2020 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Don’t know if I’m allowed do this, but thought we might have a Peloton Ireland Discussion Group.
    There are about 210 users with a PelotonIreland tag albeit I’m sure not all are in Ireland, and I’m interested in sharing experiences, ideas and thoughts etc.

I’ll kick it off........firstly this is a fantastic workout, albeit primarily cardio. i love the simplicity of just jumping on the bike, there’s just no room for excuses like lack of time to go to the gym or that it’s raining outside etc.

As a 52 year old, getting my heart rate up, clearing out the cobwebs and exercising the lungs, it feels fantastic........

I am however struggling with a couple of things, for example, I do struggle to get a cadence more than 100 and even more than 85 is really tough, I’m wondering is there a technique I’m missing?

Also I would have thought that on a recent cycle with averages of 71rpm, 48 resistance I would have achieved a better output than only 247kj output and 459 calories burnt (20min ride) how does that sound to others?

My Best outputs are as follows, which seem low overall

20min - 181kj
    30min - 251kj
    45min - 332kj

Any advice on how to get them up?
    My heart rate is running in Zone 4 (142-158) and 5 (>159) generally getting up to 165-171 for about 80% of every ride, the rest is zone 3 primarily, zone 2 and 1 for the first couple of mins.......Dont want to give myself a heart attack either...... :)

Interested in any tips from anyone and also any fitness progression programmes anyone has found so that I can measure progress.

Thanks all #pelotonireland

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's already a peloton thread on the forum here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057965593&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

How do you install the android app in Ireland do you know? It won't seem to let me download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

there's already a peloton thread on the forum here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057965593&page=3

That thread is about how to get a Peloton in ireland or other similar solutions.......my proposed thread is for those that already have one

How do you install the android app in Ireland do you know? It won't seem to let me download it.

Don't use Peloton but I'd assume VPN or sideload, the later could be a bit of a pain as you'd have to repeat to process every time the app gets updated.

Don’t know how to do it for Android, for Apple, you need to change country, download it and then change back, not sure if that’s how it works for Android as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Do you have to have a Peleton bike to join the app?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Also I would have thought that on a recent cycle with averages of 71rpm, 48 resistance I would have achieved a better output than only 247kj output and 459 calories burnt (20min ride) how does that sound to others?

I'd distrust any calorie estimate that's significantly higher than kJ output. The genera rule of thumb is 1kcal per kJ. If you're getting more than that, ignore the calorie estimate and take the kJ output as your calorie burn.
    ctlsleh wrote: »
    My Best outputs are as follows, which seem low overall

20min - 181kj
    30min - 251kj
    45min - 332kj

Any advice on how to get them up?

Simply put, more time or more intensity. 1 watt for 1 second = 1 joule. The harder you push (the greater the resistance) the more watts you put out. Training yourself to do that takes time and it'll be a couple of months before you'll see notable improvements. So, long story short, look for workout programmes designed to build your ability to work at higher resistance settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just downloaded this as changed my location to the UK on google play.

Not mad on it so far - too much talking and not enough serious training or structure in some cases. Dpends on teh instructor I guess. ALso some of teh playlists aren't great.

I'm a big fan of Les Mills RPM which I prefer so far but will stick with it. Any recommendations for rides? I like upbeat dance music, so tried Hannah Frankson today.

I'd distrust any calorie estimate that's significantly higher than kJ output. The genera rule of thumb is 1kcal per kJ. If you're getting more than that, ignore the calorie estimate and take the kJ output as your calorie burn.

Simply put, more time or more intensity. 1 watt for 1 second = 1 joule. The harder you push (the greater the resistance) the more watts you put out. Training yourself to do that takes time and it'll be a couple of months before you'll see notable improvements. So, long story short, look for workout programmes designed to build your ability to work at higher resistance settings.

Thanks, any suggestions on programmes/class types?

Advertisement