Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 to be shut down - moving prisoners

Options
  • 08-11-2020 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

Ireland's busiest motorway will be shut down to facilitate the transportation of more than 80 severely mentally ill people who have committed serious crimes to a new hospital to ensure public safety.The Sunday Independent understands that the "Con Air-style plan" to relocate patients from Dundrum's Central Mental Hospital (CMH) to their new home in Portrane in north Co Dublin are at an advanced stage.

Sources reveal it has been decided that "in the interest of public safety" the M50 will be shut down between Dundrum in south Dublin and the newly constructed 170-bed mental health complex in north Dublin during the transfer.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/con-air-style-plan-to-transfer-violent-inmates-will-shut-m50-39719556.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It's the indo. Enough said.

Scaremongering sh1te

"severely mentally ill". "DANGEROUS"

Most of these are people who did something when mentally ill, they are under care and medication and probably in a day to day situation they are as placid as you get.

But there are a few that are quite ill and they do need to be watched, so a couple of late evening or very early morning rolling closures is just a sensible precaution

The same rag would be screaming incompetence if the road wasn't closed and something happened

So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It's to protect the prisoners not the public. Nobody wants to be stuck on the m50 when you don't have to be.
    Hundreds would be committed every day based on their mental state on it - it takes its toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

What could possibly go wrong.

:rolleyes:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

scotchy wrote: »
    What could possibly go wrong.

:rolleyes:

You do know prisoners are moved around the country on a daily basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ireland's busiest motorway will be shut down to facilitate the transportation of more than 80 severely mentally ill people who have committed serious crimes to a new hospital to ensure public safety.

Leaving aside the logistics of transporting them, there is no way in hell that 80 mentally ill patients could be received into a new facility at the same time. That story sounds like clickbait.

They will be moved piecemeal, probably no more than 8 at a time. And as the previous poster has pointed out, regular prisoners are moved around all the time. The majority of prisoners serving time in the Midlands Prison in Portlaoise were bussed down from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I texted an old rugby buddy of mine who's a prison officer. He said they are being moved before long, but the story is absolute boll1x.

Why?

The wholly unnecessary cost and PR disaster that would result from the optics.

The lack of staff and vehicles to transport that number at once, they couldn't possibly follow their own protocols around safe transportation and covering other facilities appropriately.

Finally, why would they? They aren't about to be evicted from Dundrum, the transports can take place gradually during the day until the move is complete. He reckons 2 to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I texted an old rugby buddy of mine who's a prison officer. He said they are being moved before long, but the story is absolute boll1x.

Why?

The wholly unnecessary cost and PR disaster that would result from the optics.

The lack of staff and vehicles to transport that number at once, they couldn't possibly follow their own protocols around safe transportation and covering other facilities appropriately.

Finally, why would they? They aren't about to be evicted from Dundrum, the transports can take place gradually during the day until the move is complete. He reckons 2 to 3 weeks.

Would the lack of staff not incentivise them to move quicker , running two facilities would be quite staff intensive

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is this an essential journey? :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

There are actually crazy people using the M50 every day.
    I'm hoping the prison service or whoever is responsible for these prisoners is capable of moving them a short distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ted1 wrote: »
    Would the lack of staff not incentivise them to move quicker , running two facilities would be quite staff intensive

Not attendant staff. IPS transport staff and vehicles, for that matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Scamers and gamers who played the old "mental illness" card to escape a prison sentence more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Can they not just give them a couple of spoonfulls of dozey dreamy nighty nighty syrup before the journey?

Con-Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Can they not just give them a couple of spoonfulls of dozey dreamy nighty nighty syrup before the journey?

I know someone who, through work, has been in some of these hospitals. They are heavily medicated. She said it's quite sad to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Scamers and gamers who played the old "mental illness" card to escape a prison sentence more likely.

Sad that someone thinks that way about mental health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Darc19 wrote: »
    Sad that someone thinks that way about mental health.

Handy catch all excuse for everything these days. 15-30 years in the Joy or Portlaoise for that time you beat 10 people to death with a hammer, or play the mad card and off to hospital to spend your days drugged up to the eyeballs? Be honest now you know what the better option is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Handy catch all excuse for everything these days. 15-30 years in the Joy or Portlaoise for that time you beat 10 people to death with a hammer, or play the mad card and off to hospital to spend your days drugged up to the eyeballs? Be honest now you know what the better option is.

You need to be really, verifiably ill to be able to "play the card".

"Ah judge I'm bonkers me" does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

They're not "options".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are they classed as prisoners? I know they are held against their will so maybe they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

They are not prisoners, they are patients.

They are not heavily medicated to the point of being constantly drowsy, that is simply untrue. They are medicated in relation to psychiatric conditions they have, much like people all over Ireland with mental health issues are, but it is not to the point of being incapable of operating normally.

All patients are assessed by psychiatrists and are not in Dundrum because they are scammers.

Many of the patients in Dundrum would not be considered dangerous day to day and as a result are frequently out in the community, in most cases they are accompanied by psychiatric nurses however.

Dundrum is an extremely old building that is not necessarily fit for purpose hence the move however the patients are treated well and have a huge range of facilities available to them, they are not living in the dire conditions people think they are living in.

I don't know how patients will be moved however I doubt it will be as described and would certainly not necessitate road closures. Patients are on the move all the time whether from other facilities, to hospitals for treatment or just out in the community as I already described. The news story is certainly clickbaity!

Advertisement