Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembrance Sunday and no Poppy thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Whats the founder of the Israeli state got to do with Irish Quislings?

Do you even know who Quisling was?

I think you're using his name as an invalid metaphor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Do you even know who Quisling was?

I think you're using his name as an invalid metaphor.

quisling
    /ˈkwɪzlɪŋ/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a traitor who collaborates with an enemy force occupying their country.

I know the exact meaning of it. The very definition of an Irishman fighting for the queen in WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

quisling
    /ˈkwɪzlɪŋ/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

I know the exact meaning of it. The very definition of an Irishman fighting for the queen in WW1.

So your answer to the question "Do you even know who Quisling was?" is No.

So your answer to the question "Do you even know who Quisling was?" is No.

Norwegian bloke, collaborated with the Nazis while leader there. Virdun or something was his first name. No idea what he has to do with Irish quislings. I've given you the dictionary definition which perfectly sums up Irish soldiers in the british army.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Would you consider James Connolly, Michael Collins and DeValera traitors or quislings too?

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Would you consider James Connolly, Michael Collins and DeValera traitors or quislings too?

Did they swear an oath to the Queen, and fight for her, while she was an occupying power??

I swear by Almighty God (do solemnly, and truly declare and affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the (admirals / generals/ air officers) and officers set over me.

This was sworn.

Article 17 of the Irish Free State's 1922 Constitution. It read:
    I (name) do solemnly swear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the Irish Free State as by law established, and that I will be faithful to H.M. King George V, his heirs and successors by law in virtue of the common citizenship of Ireland with Great Britain and her adherence to and membership of the group of nations forming the British Commonwealth of Nations.

This was sworn.

Article 17 of the Irish Free State's 1922 Constitution. It read:
    I (name) do solemnly swear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the Irish Free State as by law established, and that I will be faithful to H.M. King George V, his heirs and successors by law in virtue of the common citizenship of Ireland with Great Britain and her adherence to and membership of the group of nations forming the British Commonwealth of Nations.

Did they fight for King George, while he was occupying Ireland??

How would you define Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

533105.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Don't think its very interesting or productive to be sniping here and there that Connolly was in the BA, or Tom Clarke's father, or Liam Mellows' father, or whatever.

Don't think its very interesting or productive to be sniping here and there that Connolly was in the BA, or Tom Clarke's father, or Liam Mellows' father, or whatever.

No it's not. I wouldn't call them names for it either.

Don’t like quislings being called out? Few traitors in the family??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

quisling
    /ˈkwɪzlɪŋ/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

King George V wasn't it....

Irish men fought in the Great War for many reasons, from serving their King to fighting for Ireland, to those who just wanted to put food on the table back home, to many who sought adventure, to others who saw it as their duty to fight the enemy (Germany).

Approximately & arguably 50,000 Irish men died in the Great War, that's enough to fill Dublin's Aviva stadium, now there's a sobering thought.

Whatever their individual reasons for fighting in WWI, they don't deserve the bile and utter disgusting comments made against them by one or two posters on here.

Their memory deserves better, hence Remembrance Day on the 11th of November.

Don’t like quislings being called out? Few traitors in the family??

By your definition I'd say every family has, including your own and many who were in 1916 too.

You think Connolly, Collins and Dev are?

Irish men fought in the Great War for many reasons, from serving their King to fighting for Ireland, to those who just wanted to put food on the table back home, to many who sought adventure, to others who saw it as their duty to fight the enemy (Germany).

Approximately & arguably 50,000 Irish men died in the Great War, that's enough to fill Dublin's Aviva stadium, now there's a sobering thought.

Whatever their individual reasons for fighting in WWI, they don't deserve the bile and utter disgusting comments made against them by one or two posters on here.

I don't think I would look on my ancestor in the same way if he were going for economic reasons, as opposed to going for 'Home Rule', as opposed to going for his King'.

Some reasons are better/more understandable/more forgivable than other reasons, so I don't agree with a blanket statement that their memory deserves better.

I wonder if they could speak, how many of them would want to be remembered for this, and in this way.

All a bit too 'we're mature' attention-seeking in my view, this ostentatious once-a-year show of remembrance.

A blanket rejection isn't fair either.

A blanket rejection isn't fair either.

No, it wouldn't be my considered approach.

Though the thought of condemnation would certainly cross my mind.

By your definition I'd say every family has, including your own and many who were in 1916 too.

You think Connolly, Collins and Dev are?

You think every family has someone who fought for the Britain army while occupied by them? That’s quite a tenuous grasp of history.

Anyone serving the British king doesn’t deserve to be called Irish. Traitors and Quislings. Thankfully quite a few were shunned on their return.

“The Ministry for Labour in London reported that the Irishman who returned from the front found “their own people have nothing but contempt to offer him for patriotism and sacrifice, and he is denied the right to work or live in the country [for] which he fought”.

• Advertisement

This must be the absolute definition of arm chair republicanism.

See the entire world as black and white. My side good, anything else bad.

Those spouting this ****e are usually the ones who would **** themselves senseless at the thought of actually going in to a war, so much prefer to judge others from the safety of their pc.

Aegir wrote: »
    This must be the absolute definition of arm chair republicanism.

See the entire world as black and white. My side good, anything else bad.

Those spouting this ****e are usually the ones who would **** themselves senseless at the thought of actually going in to a war, so much prefer to judge others from the safety of their pc.

Aww, did Grandpapa take the kings shilling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

There comes a time in a conflict when maybe it's time to just move onto a dignified, solemn memory. This isn't commentated like this anywhere else in Europe. It seems to be a relatively modern bit of very nationalistic flag stuff, coming from the same place as Brexit.

In most of continental Europe, where the consequences of both wars were most acutely felt, including by civilian populations, if commemorations are held, they tend to be a lot more dignified, solemn and appropriate.

The whole poppy thing has morphed into something far more about flag waving and bashing people, even in other countries, for not being sufficiently patriotic and tacky, Hallmark nationalism and yet more of this modern culture wars stuff.

There's also a need to let the past be the past, give it the dignity of fading to memory and living in the present.

Aww, did Grandpapa take the kings shilling?

Well mine certainly did, as did many hundreds of thousands of other proud Irish men and women back in 1914. You're obviously looking at this whole episode through the eyes of a 1916 Rebel who were a tiny minority in 1916 and who would have been an even smaller group in 1914 when the war started.

Most Irish people were not striving to part with the rest of these islands at that time, and it was only after 1916-1918 that the political landscape changed back home in Ireland, hence why so many soldiers after giving it their all on the Western front, came back to an utterly changed Ireland, whereby violent Irish Nationalism had taken hold and any allegiances that had existed at the outbreak of the war were now dust.....

Anyway, remembrance Day was back on the 11th Nov, so this thread should be winding down soon, but I do think it's good that we remember those who died in the trenches in awful conditions fighting & dieing in a thankless & pointless war.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well mine certainly did as did, many hundreds of thousands of other proud Irish men and women back in 1914. You're obviously looking at this whole episode through the eyes of a 1916 Rebel who were a tiny minority in 1916 and who would have been an even smaller group in 1914 when the war started.

Most Irish people were not striving to part with the rest of these islands at that time, and it was only after 1916-1918 that the political landscape changed back home in Ireland, hence why so many soldiers after giving it their all on the Western front, came back to an utterly changed Ireland, whereby violent Irish Nationalism had taken hold and any allegiances that had existed at the outbreak of the war were now dust.....

Anyway, remembrance Day was back on the 11th Nov, so this thread should be winding down soon, but I do think it's good that we remember this who died in the trenches in awful conditions fighting a thankless and pointless war.

People like that will always be bitter, best not to reply and let the thread die a natural death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Most Irish people were not striving to part with the rest of these islands at that time.

180,000 Irish Volunteers might have disagreed with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

In an Irish context I think the only solution is simply to honour the memories of those who died in wars on a human basis and not a political one.

There’s absolutely no reason to bolt that to whitewashing the British Army’a history in Ireland and elsewhere.

The world changed. Ireland changed. Britain Changed. Politics changed. All sorts of things changed. Unless you’re a diehard British nationalist of some sort, it’s just not a simple history and one set of battles that had a motive that was noble and defensive, don’t undo the institution’s rather grim imperial history.

History is very complicated. Revising and reducing it to symbolic wearing or not wearing a paper flower is just pointless flag waiving nationalism.

There’s a big difference between commemorating those who were killed in wars and revering the British Army as an institution and it’s very obvious that those two concepts are conflated.

Well mine certainly did, as did many hundreds of thousands of other proud Irish men and women back in 1914. You're obviously looking at this whole episode through the eyes of a 1916 Rebel who were a tiny minority in 1916 and who would have been an even smaller group in 1914 when the war started.

Anyway, remembrance Day was back on the 11th Nov, so this thread should be winding down soon, but I do think it's good that we remember those who died in the trenches in awful conditions fighting & dieing in a thankless & pointless war.

They should be remembered as traitors to Ireland. Quislings who chose to fight on behalf of the King and country oppressing them. No better than Khalid Kelly or Lisa Smith.

Wow :rolleyes:
    Go on and besmirch their memory all you like, but as I have already said .....

"You're obviously looking at this whole episode through the eyes of a 1916 Rebel".

• Advertisement

Wow :rolleyes:
    Go on and besmirch their memory all you like, but as I have already said .....

"You're obviously looking at this whole episode through the eyes of a 1916 Rebel".

Yeah, 1916 was the only time the Irish rose up against the British. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_uprisings

Advertisement