Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good build? Any recommendations or problems with it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well its cheap?

Last years CPU

RAM isn't the fastest latency at that speed set, but it is reasonably priced, anything with tighter timings can run double the money.

Old GPU. 3000 series is out, when does anyone ever feel good about buying hardware that's 2 years out of manufacture?

Case seems fine, budget, no frills, lots of front I/O. But also it's a micro ATX motherboard, so you could find a smaller case if that was important to you.

400 series motherboard chipset, is fine.

Not a lot of SSD space. You will want extra storage. Drive style is 'adequate' but there's better performers out there, it can come down to what onboard controller manufacturers put on the SSD drive and what kind of cache it has.

For $800 it will be a good 1080p gaming PC, not the latest or greatest, but still fair value, and decent to great at every other home use. For professional applications I'd want more from the CPU at least.

....Personally if budget is important I would wait until next year when AMD is likely to announce a Zen 3 $200 SKU, Like a Ryzen 5600 non-X variant, get an X570 board which you'd still find reasonably priced, keep the RAM etc. and go with an NVME PCIe 4 SSD. Paired with a new Radeon RX 6000 card you will get performance gains from having a Zen 3 CPU paired with an RDNA2 Graphics Card, and with DirectX bringing DirectStorage to Windows you will get other standalone gains from using an NVME SSD drive (for gaming, which you havent said what your applications are)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ConorSammon

Overheal wrote: »
    Well its cheap?

Last years CPU

RAM isn't the fastest latency at that speed set, but it is reasonably priced, anything with tighter timings can run double the money.

Old GPU. 3000 series is out, when does anyone ever feel good about buying hardware that's 2 years out of manufacture?

Case seems fine, budget, no frills, lots of front I/O. But also it's a micro ATX motherboard, so you could find a smaller case if that was important to you.

400 series motherboard chipset, is fine.

Not a lot of SSD space. You will want extra storage. Drive style is 'adequate' but there's better performers out there, it can come down to what onboard controller manufacturers put on the SSD drive and what kind of cache it has.

For $800 it will be a good 1080p gaming PC, not the latest or greatest, but still fair value, and decent to great at every other home use. For professional applications I'd want more from the CPU at least.

....Personally if budget is important I would wait until next year when AMD is likely to announce a Zen 3 $200 SKU, Like a Ryzen 5600 non-X variant, get an X570 board which you'd still find reasonably priced, keep the RAM etc. and go with an NVME PCIe 4 SSD. Paired with a new Radeon RX 6000 card you will get performance gains from having a Zen 3 CPU paired with an RDNA2 Graphics Card, and with DirectX bringing DirectStorage to Windows you will get other standalone gains from using an NVME SSD drive (for gaming, which you havent said what your applications are)

Thanks. Im just looking to play fps games at 1080p 60-100 fps so this should be more than enough.

Its definitely more than I want to spend so should I wait until black friday to order the parts?

Thanks. Im just looking to play fps games at 1080p 60-100 fps so this should be more than enough.

Its definitely more than I want to spend so should I wait until black friday to order the parts?

Yeah, I would, and you're right for 1080p 60Hz your tiering here is grand.

Personally, because I did choose to build the new Zen 3, Black Friday is kind of "off" because Ryzen 5000 demand is too damn high and supply is too uncertain, and the same issues apply to corresponding B550/X570 motherboards, and possibly RAM. So, I went ahead and bought online most of my build, incl. the CPU and will weigh how I get my RX 6000 GPU, because I also have an itch to visit a MicroCenter. My choices are Get the reference card on launch morning, if I can; or wait +1-2 weeks for Partner cards to come out, around black friday, and Hunger Games whether I get one.

For you, I'd wait until Black Friday because your criteria for a good build aren't as tight as that, it's really down to things on a budget, and you might just find a good bargain on this or that component on the day of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just to check but @ConorSammon but where are you located/buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ConorSammon

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Just to check but @ConorSammon but where are you located/buying?

Leinster. Whats sites or stores do you reccomend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Only issue I see is I'm not sure if that SSD is NVMe.

Definitely get an NVME spec drive.

Advertisement