Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta - final day into Madrid!

Options
  • 08-11-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭

Final lap and Sam lined up in a good spot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

DQS, bora, UAE & sunweb lining out now at the front

Photo finish

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Real Madrid training grounds are some set up.

Ah Ackermann got it but great effort by Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bullocks

• Advertisement

Ackermann ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

DQS made a complete fluff of the last 3km.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sam ran out of meters. Ackermann timed his sprint bang on, couldn't have done it better. Caught a couple of meters on Bennett when he kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

DQS leadout was dire, spent too much effort bringing the break back, then burned themselves out holding the front and had no kick to boss things when everyone else bunched up on them. Can't really blame Sam for anything there, he did well get back into position after the messing that went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

DQS and Sam can't really be too happy with this tour. One stage win when they could have had the three. Its got to be pretty galling that Ackerman has two stage wins despite Sam being the faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Much respect to Ackermann after that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

happytramp wrote: »
    DQS and Sam can't really be too happy with this tour. One stage win when they could have had the three. Its got to be pretty galling that Ackerman has two stage wins despite Sam being the faster.

It was a funny tour for Sam to go to really. Such little opportunity for sprinters. 2 out of 3 would have been a success to be fair. The disqualification is annoying because the guy he was barging was not a contender on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

At least the bonus seconds should help Sams overall position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Froome got a trophy for winning the 2011 Vuelta today :D

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1325413096341590016

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

QuickStep made a hames of the leadout.

That's a few times they have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Does that make him the first British grand tour winner?And Wiggins 'the former first British GT winner' - a strange term only made possible by rewriting the history books ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Does that make him the first British grand tour winner?And Wiggins 'the former first British GT winner' - a strange term only made possible by rewriting the history books ?
    Leaving aside Froomes (out of contract) come from nowhere performance, Cobo totally changed how that Vuelta was raced. No Cobo, the most likely result was still Wiggins being the first British GT winner, with Froome doing the same BS he did at the following Tour as domestique. Froome was only let go after the win once Wiggins couldn't stay with Cobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lads did you see the state of that and the trophies for the top 3 this year. It's like the tatty crap you would get for winning a charity pitch &putt tournament or something

Ackermann deviated from his line in final sprint, forced Bennett across road a bit, lost by a few inches so it affected the result.

Take a look at it .......

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Ackermann deviated from his line in final sprint, forced Bennett across road a bit, lost by a few inches so it affected the result.

Take a look at it .......

Ah people wobble about in sprints. It only really gets pulled up if it looks like he was trying purposely to block

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ah people wobble about in sprints. It only really gets pulled up if it looks like he was trying purposely to block

I know but QS could argue that the deviation from his line affected the result - he wasn't e.g. 20 metres ahead and Bennett was coming up fast and also had to move off his line.

Rui Costa was relegated the other day for a much bigger deviation but he didn't block anyone and it had no affect on the result.

Finnrocco wrote: »
    I know but QS could argue that the deviation from his line affected the result - he wasn't e.g. 20 metres ahead and Bennett was coming up fast and also had to move off his line.

Rui Costa was relegated the other day for a much bigger deviation but he didn't block anyone and it had no affect on the result.

Could argue but shouldn't.

I remember seeing it at the time and kept any eye out after because if he done it twice he was screwed but a quick move to the middle like that is normal

Nice article here which summarizes the teams performances;

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana-2020-ratings-how-did-each-team-perform-475247

Trek were terrible at this one so agree with there score.

Well done to ISN, deserved score and 2 stage wins in a row on grand tours.

Nice article here which summarizes the teams performances;

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana-2020-ratings-how-did-each-team-perform-475247

Trek were terrible at this one so agree with there score.

Well done to ISN, deserved score and 2 stage wins in a row on grand tours.

Harsh on Ineos though as their man was 24 seconds away but EF get a 9 I assume cause their man is English. And CCC should be 0 as the greatest non team of all time

Maybe it was the commentators Carapaz wasnt getting half the verbal fellatio that TGH was getting at the Vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

It was so strange not having something to watch today.
    I feel guilty having only discovered cycling this year,While I'm sure many/all here have been watching with years.
    After having such constant cycling..
    Tour, liege, flanders, giro, and lá Vueltta, I'm hooked.
    So exciting for a first timer. Absolutely hooked.
    What happens now? Indoor?
    Will all the names I've come to recognise and enjoy be involved in the indoor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

deise08 wrote: »
    I feel guilty having only discovered cycling this year,While I'm sure many/all here have been watching with years.

No very few of them. A handful in cyclo-cross which runs over winter too. Season typically kicks off in Jan & Feb in Australia and middle East. Then the real races start the last weekend of February, gradually building up to Flanders, Paris Roubaix and Liege around April

These channels might see you through the winter

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvdk8NYS7ItskDJhoTzG0Iw/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/SuccessCycling/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Who will get it next??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yep, track season starting now. The world cups are starting soon, time for properly fast racing ;)

• Advertisement

eeeee wrote: »
    Yep, track season starting now. The world cups are starting soon, time for properly fast racing ;)

Didn't they dick around with the calendar even before covid meaning the meat of the track racing isn't going to happen until Feb/March next year with the 6 days and world cup etc?

Might be wrong but something in the back of my mind recalls folks who ride the road aswell like Viviani and Ganna not being happy with the changes.

Advertisement