Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta - final day into Madrid!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

The big three Australian races have all been postponed so no Tour Down Under, Herald Sun Tour and Cadel Evans Ocean Race in 2021

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Didn't they dick around with the calendar even before covid meaning the meat of the track racing isn't going to happen until Feb/March next year with the 6 days and world cup etc?

Might be wrong but something in the back of my mind recalls folks who ride the road aswell like Viviani and Ganna not being happy with the changes.

They want to make it a summer sport in 2023 so all the world champs can happen at the same time. Terrible idea for the many many riders who do both (Anna van van Breggan, Kirsten Wild, Jolien D'ohre, Viviani, Gaveria, Illio Keisse, Ganna etc etc).
    This year though it's business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Harsh on Ineos though as their man was 24 seconds away but EF get a 9 I assume cause their man is English.
    Carapaz basically did it himself though. EF had Woods with Carthy later on most climbs. EF had 3 stage wins, on top of the GC podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Could argue but shouldn't.

I remember seeing it at the time and kept any eye out after because if he done it twice he was screwed but a quick move to the middle like that is normal

I know this happens a lot, and there is possibly an element of moving slightly to force the other guy to move also, and I know what your saying but my point was they relegated Costa when he moved off his line but had no affect on the result, whereas this had in my view.

And the rule is you must sprint in a straight line.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

deise08 wrote: »
    It was so strange not having something to watch today.
    I feel guilty having only discovered cycling this year,While I'm sure many/all here have been watching with years.
    After having such constant cycling..
    Tour, liege, flanders, giro, and lá Vueltta, I'm hooked.
    So exciting for a first timer. Absolutely hooked.
    What happens now? Indoor?
    Will all the names I've come to recognise and enjoy be involved in the indoor?

Ya others have said cyclo-cross, indoor and then normally southern hemisphere races but we will probably have to wait till the Belgian races in March this year.

While you are waiting watch: "Stars and Water Carriers" "A Sunday in Hell" documentaries and for fun "Breaking Away" which is like the Mighty Ducks of cycling.

Plenty of books too and I recently finished "The Beast the Emperor and the Milkman" which came out last year and will give you a good idea of the fanatical history of Belgian cycling and the big March/April races.
    Another recent one is "The Accent" which is the history of Irish cycling mostly focusing on the glory years of the 80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Finnrocco wrote: »
    I know this happens a lot, and there is possibly an element of moving slightly to force the other guy to move also, and I know what your saying but my point was they relegated Costa when he moved off his line but had no affect on the result, whereas this had in my view.

And the rule is you must sprint in a straight line.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now.
    Essentially what he got DQ'd for in Scheldeprijs all the same. As usual with the UCI, consequence rather than the action is punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Movistar documentary on Netflix is well worth a watch and quite short episodes too, I hope they make another one

Movistar documentary on Netflix is well worth a watch and quite short episodes too, I hope they make another one

And the Ronde behind the scenes they do every year which becomes like a TV drama if you watch them in order with all the recurring cast and running jokes through out the years

And the Ronde behind the scenes they do every year which becomes like a TV drama if you watch them in order with all the recurring cast and running jokes through out the years

Oh what's that?

eeeee wrote: »
    Oh what's that?

Every year since Ronde 100 I think a few years back they have made a show using the team car cameras of the favourites. Lotto Soudal and DQS are always in it along with whoever Sagan and Fabu are riding for plus a few others.

You start to notice jokes and things carrying on over the years like I think it was Vanmarke wo just keeps crashing every year and becomes a running joke in the cars

• Advertisement

Every year since Ronde 100 I think a few years back they have made a show using the team car cameras of the favourites. Lotto Soudal and DQS are always in it along with whoever Sagan and Fabu are riding for plus a few others.

You start to notice jokes and things carrying on over the years like I think it was Vanmarke wo just keeps crashing every year and becomes a running joke in the cars

What's the name of it? Is it on Netflix or just the web?

eeeee wrote: »
    What's the name of it? Is it on Netflix or just the web?

Youtube. Just try Ronde 100 or something like that. They are done by 100 101 102 rather than year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This isn't good at all... a COVID-19 positive rate of 30% for the Spanish police officers that were tested on Sunday.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/45-covid-19-positives-among-vuelta-a-espana-police-officers/
    According to Spanish news agency EFE, 45 members of Spain's national police force, the Guardia Civil, who were tasked with enforcing road closures and ensuring public safety, tested positive following the final stage on Sunday.

A total of 150 officers who were working on the Vuelta were tested in Madrid on Sunday evening, with the results returned on Tuesday. In the meantime, they had all returned to their various home towns without knowing their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Looking forward to discovering a whole new world of cycling.
    Will definitely be looking up/reading all recommendations..

Advertisement