Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year head issue

Options
  • 08-11-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if people have come across the phenomenon of year heads who tend to be overly defensive of their year groups, side with or give the benefit of the doubt to students when issues are raised by teachers. I know it's a multifaceted role and that the pastoral care function is important but I'm currently trying to navigate an issue with a year head who really seems to think the year in question are great and who seems to have a very close relationship with them to the point that I think perspective has been lost.

Just wondering if others have encountered this and how you've tried to confront it. And before any year heads jump on me here, yes I know it's an often thankless task and you work bloody hard. However, that doesn't mean issues like this shouldn't be discussed. Thanks to all who respond.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

It’s a post mostly, so not exactly a thankless job. I would go to the DP informally. BTW if you think year heads can be defensive try the BFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Icsics wrote: »
    BTW if you think year heads can be defensive try the BFL!

BFL? You've totally lost me there, especially in this context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

linguist wrote: »
    BFL? You've totally lost me there, especially in this context.

Behaviour For Learning teacher. Its designated post in schools working with the NBSS.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

linguist wrote: »
    I am wondering if people have come across the phenomenon of year heads who tend to be overly defensive of their year groups, side with or give the benefit of the doubt to students when issues are raised by teachers. I know it's a multifaceted role and that the pastoral care function is important but I'm currently trying to navigate an issue with a year head who really seems to think the year in question are great and who seems to have a very close relationship with them to the point that I think perspective has been lost.

Just wondering if others have encountered this and how you've tried to confront it. And before any year heads jump on me here, yes I know it's an often thankless task and you work bloody hard. However, that doesn't mean issues like this shouldn't be discussed. Thanks to all who respond.

We have one out of six
    Bleeding heart. The rest are fine. Work the discipline system as it is. File reports and throw in health and safety complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Bobtheman wrote: »
    We have one out of six
    Bleeding heart. The rest are fine. Work the discipline system as it is. File reports and throw in health and safety complaints

Agreed. Sometimes there are issues at home you are not privy to thus sometimes the yh will try to play down certain things. Sometimes there are much bigger issues ongoing in the year and thus minor issues get purposefully ignored to try keep some element of positivity for the kids. Sometimes, yeah, the yh sees the litany of work acting appropriately might be and tries to go around it,but as quoted above, use the code of behaviour as your guide, and if it is persistently ignored and all attempts at informal chats fail, then raise it at staff meeting for AOB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement