Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Repair Costs

Options
  • 08-11-2020 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hoping I can get some advice on this.

A neighbor of ours recently got gutters and fascia boards replaced by a roofing company.

They called in to my parents with the usual sales tactic of "we're in the area, etc" but to be fair are a professional company, do good work and gave a reasonable price IMO. No issues with the gutter replacement side of things.

However, unsurprisingly enough for a 28yo house in an exposed area, more problems were found during that job.

They wanted an immediate answer with a reminder that the gutters and fascia would need to be removed and replaced again in future, if a leak was to occur. It's purely preventative maintenance for now. I'm not terribly happy with that pressurised approach, but what they said was true, and my parents could well have refused the work.

I'd be interested in an estimate of the cost for the following. 4 bed detached house, approximately 45m of roof in Dublin. I know this will vary widely, but a ballpark would be a great help.

1. Old rotten roof felt removed from roof line borders coming up the roof 1.5 meters and replaced with new membrane and new battens.
    2. Earthwool insulation fitted on 4 sides of roof surroundings.
    3. All ridgetiles on full roof repointied
    4. Cracked/broken tiles replaced.
    5. Eaves drip protector fitted under last till all around
    6. Rubbish removal and cleanup.

Estimated 3 days work. Not sure how many people.

Best regards,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I don't have any expert advice on this, but I've had work done recently, and I had several roofers (or alleged roofers) having a look and tell me what needs to be done. Some of them have told me that the old rotten felt needs to be removed. Some have told me that that's nonsense, and a common tactic of cowboys to get themselves some more work.
    I have no idea which is the truth, to be honest. I would recommend you get multiple opinions on that sort of thing, before biting the bullet on it. At least one of the guys who told me that it needed to be done was someone I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him, having spoken to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

RealJohn wrote: »
    I don't have any expert advice on this, but I've had work done recently, and I had several roofers (or alleged roofers) having a look and tell me what needs to be done. Some of them have told me that the needs to be removed. Some have told me that that's nonsense, and a common tactic of cowboys to get themselves some more work.
    I have no idea which is the truth, to be honest. I would recommend you get multiple opinions on that sort of thing, before biting the bullet on it. At least one of the guys who told me that it needed to be done was someone I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him, having spoken to him.

old rotten felt.
    doesnt sound good does it. felt is your last defence against water leaking through your roof. old felt is brittle and falls apart if you look at it wrong.

anyone telling you that old rotten felt is fine is the cowboy but the guy telling you it should be changed. is the bad guy .

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

What's your peace of mind worth. Old rotten felt maybe it's rotten maybe it's getting there. Save money and not do it but then you'll be wondering for years should you have done it when he had the soffit and fascia off anyway and it'll play havoc on your mind if you do get a leak knock on wood in a completely unrelated to felt you'll be wondering would that have been because you didn't change it.
    I have no horse in this but my parents got the same and ended up going for it. If your getting a mechanic to open up your car to get down to the water pump you might as well change the timing belt even if it's got a while left on it. Check online how long felt should last for and what the building regs on your house are.
    If you have any members in extended family that are carpenters ask their opinion on costing. Think my parents were quoted 3k all in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

Here is my experience for what its worth

I have a 3 bed semi that was built in the late 70s early 80s, i was having constant leaks at the chimney flashing with multiple repair jobs carried out. The felt on my roof was that old tar like felt that would disintegrate nearly by looking at it. There was holes and tears in many locations of the felt and when the flashing was repaired the water would find one of these holes or tears and a new leak would appear.

I decided to refelt, batten and retile in the one go. Decided to get all the materials myself and only pay for the labor. Tiles were 1100, nails, battens and felt 300, teleporter for a day 220 and labor 900 and 500 for skip, so all in it was around 3000.

The peace of mind of now having that done and brand new breathable felt installed is priceless as on repair jobs i must have spent near a grand trying to patch up what i had only for a new leak to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do your parents have a confirmed address for this roofing company, do they know when the company was setup. Generally having any involvement with unsolicited business results in being scammed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement